Movin on Up......

KJNDIVER

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hey guys, thought i would introduce myself here in this newer Passat forum. I previously had a 2005 Passat tht i purchased last yr and put about 20k on it before the trans started having issues. Given that i couldn't find a trans shop anywhere within 100 miles to work on my trans besides the dealers, and given the costs associated with dealer replacements, figured it was gonna cost me between 4-5k to fix my issue and alleviate my concerns. So I took the 05 down to the dealer along with the estimated (my own estimate) $5k it would have cost me, and i put that money down on a 2015 Passat SEL. Picked up this weekend. So i did the ole remove the fuel cap and drive a new car under it and replace cap. Works every time. This is a CPO car with 59k on the clock, originally from OK, now on the La Gulf Coast. Car was priced at $16, talked down to $15, then got $1 for my old trade in, so walked away for $14k. Probably not the best deal, but i dont think it was a bad deal all things considered. Now i need to research a whole new model of vehicle to see what idiosyncrasies this model has. Thats the fun part aint it?

Before..

After...

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
I like both those cars. I never cared for the Passat in between. I did sort of the same thing, but many years in between. I bought one of the last two new 05 Passat TDIs in the Puget Sound region. I ended up selling it the next year for more than I paid for it, since the TDI had been discontinued for an undetermined length of time. I just didn't drive it that much. I think I sold it with 6500 miles on it.

Fast forward to January of 2018, and I bought the same basic color (I call it "metallic dirt") 2015 with 13k. I paid just under $17k, and as long as I keep it, it will be hard not to get every penny out of it. With my current driving, it is going to be close on the warranty whether I hit 162k or 07/13/2026 first.

I

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
I think I like the 2005 better. It was whatever they called the top of the line back then. The 2015 is an SE, so no real leather like my 05. I couldn't say which got better mileage. I hardly ever got the 05 on road and I averaged 35ish MPG. The 15 takes me on a 50 mile roundtrip, mostly at 70 mph and my average is 42 MPG. I can tell you that the 05 was far better in the snow. I had to drive my truck for a few weeks because the 15 kept getting stuck on my private road. The traction control seemed to just give up and you can't turn it off with a button.

KJNDIVER

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I travel over 100 miles a day, and here lately 120 a day. For years i drove that ole F250 in background, not bad for a big 8000 lb truck at 18.5 mpg. If i drove the 05 at 65 i was getting 39 mpg. If i drove it at 75-80 i was getting 35 mpg, so i drove 75-80. LOL. By driving the TDI vs the Powerstroke i am saving $10 a day in fuel, $200/mth. So the car is basically paying for itself. I gave $3000 for the 05 last January, put a new turbo in last June for $1200. So by driving it for 14 mths before my trans issue i saved $2800 in fuel. $4200 (total cost) -2800 (savings) - 1000 (trade) = I drove the car for 14 mths for approx $400. I can deal with that. Heres to hoping this newer car should prove to do the same, eg. pay for itself.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
KJNDIVER what is this? Maybe a Cajun expression ?

So i did the ole remove the fuel cap and drive a new car under it and replace cap. Works every time.

KJNDIVER

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
KJNDIVER what is this? Maybe a Cajun expression ?

So i did the ole remove the fuel cap and drive a new car under it and replace cap. Works every time.

Its a joke.... when you have numerous problems with a vehicle its the fuel cap. Remove cap, put a new car under it, and then replace cap. Problems solved. hahaha funny funny.... i guess maybe not so.

It is a TDI. So far, depending on driving style Im getting from 38-40 mpg, with that being a mix of city/hwy. Havent taken a trip yet to see what would get with majority hwy.