info on 2011 clutch slave please?

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
It's a jetta ..Well had to know this was coming!..replaced the master and bleeder also the flex hose and all seals.. still has to be pumped up or bled after a while..(maybe 20 miles or so it starts to fail)..had to bleed it on the side of the road also...so the only thing I have not replaced is the slave/throw-out and the "hard line" from master to bleeder...From what I could tell the slave and throw out are one unit..correct?...I have not had any of my cars repaired by anyone but myself for the last 30+ years..I'm not going to drop this tranny..letting dealer do it ( Can't believe I'm doing this! sucks getting older..62)..Own a full shop with lift etc.do mostly classic muscle car restos...have also worked on many "older" VW's and a few newer ones including others I own but I'm fed up with this problem and I have dual hernia issues..any other ideas, anyone familiar with this issue? p.s. I have done all types of bleeding..pressure,gravity,vacuum, reverse, air always comes out..then will work for a short while..no loss of fluid I can see..pump it up and it will sometimes work also...air is getting in somewhere... Thanx!... Forrest

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Wanted to mention.. I can gravity bleed it and it will work..but only for a short while.. this has been going on for a few months.. just got worse over time..and now it really is "down" more or less...spent wayy too many hours on it..It won..I lost! Not to mention part #s are a pain and good luck finding any info on details on the clutch system..have shelves of manuals for many cars including older vw's!.. Time to buy one for this 2011....YA THINK??!Thanx

Last edited:

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
The throwout and slave are one piece. I just swapped to a performance kit and replaced mine at the same time. I would double check the bleeder unit one more time just in case, do you have a performance clutch that needs more effort on the clutch pedal? If so this can cause the plastic bleeders to leak, which is why I replaced mine. If not, I would still check it before paying a dealer to drop the transmission.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanx for the reply!.. it's a stock clutch..(60,000 miles on it)...it's a new vw OEM bleeder..and seals...changed all these parts ( bleeder,master flex line and all seals) and same thing.. just don't know what else to do but pull trans and replace slave..dealer wants 960.00! to pull and replace slave..Jesus I cannot believe I'm about to pay someone else to fix this car!.. I appreciate your thoughts though!

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Sometimes after bleeding it wouldn't last but a few miles before pedal completely drops and have to bleed it again..pumping did no good.So..just did a reverse bleed from the bleeder valve again ( force fluid up to reservoir)..drove 40 miles or so.. stop and go ..and it was working fine ..then it stuck a little down again:mad: and recovered after 2 pumps.Drove a few more mile and still o/k..parked it in my shop and after 15 min with car running had to pump twice and fine again, left running and after 15 minutes had to pump a few times..seems to get worse when hot/sitting..BUT no pedal stuck completely to the floor!.I swear there is a bubble in there I cannot get out (maybe wishful thinking!:rolleyes:)..anyway..maybe I'm just not bleeding correctly.or the worse..slave!:eek:....GOD I'm frustrated as hell..30 years of repairing/restoring cars ..NEVER been frustrated like this..I hate to pay 960.00 if it's just a bleed problem or something besides slave..maybe need a guru in the Atlanta Ga. area to confirm if possible..

Last edited:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Here is a thread on a reverse bleed technique,
using the front brake caliper, see page 2.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=441636&page=3

If this does not help, check all the line connectors, and maybe replace all the little “O” rings to make the connections tight. The bleed screws threads are plastic on the bleed block, maybe use plumbers tape to ensure a tight seal?

Last resort which is what you are trying to avoid is to drop the trans and check the hidden slave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanx.. I replaced all the o-rings and the "flexible" hose, that comes with it's own special seals.. master and bleeder also..I pressure bled again and drove it for 40 minutes, some stopping.. worked great until i drove it without using the clutch for about 15 minutes.. and then it partially fell..had to pump it up and worked again fine..so without using the pedal is when it fails.how in the world can you check the seals? they are all new.. and there is no fluid loss ( can/will check with pressure (15-20psi) and soapy water but don't want to blow any seals or have soapy water get sucked in!.. ..seems when the clutch is not pressed for a while is when it happens, especially when engine is hot (air gets in system?)..should be some pressure in the line at all times right? more when you push pedal...How can air get in but fluid not leaking? The only part I cannot visualize is the slave.. could all this be caused by the slave sucking air but not leaking fluid?..never been so helpless in 30 years..At least.. is there some way to confirm it's the slave or another issue?? helped alot of people on other sites with classic car issues.. but it seems like other "gurus" wont at least give an opinion... I need some help please..am I the only one that has/had this particular problem since 2011?..Please pm me or I can call anyone to talk with for some advise..I will pay for any help/advise...thanx though! 30 years owning a shop and helping others..c'mon ..anybody. please?

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
So I attached the pressure bleeder to the a modded reservoir cap..applied about 20 psi ... and left it overnight around 12 hours..morning comes and pedal is as firm as it should be..pedal and pressure held overnight..first for that..then look under car and behold!:eek:..several drops( tiny puddle).. of brake fluid... holding pressure overnight apparently was enough to show what is leaking..normal driving not using the clutch much (2011 only 60k miles on it.. live in the country,highway miles mostly) was not enough to show it leaking ..tiny leak but enough to screw with me!and apparently..so small could not notice any drop in fluid level...but pressure all night did the trick... the slave...confirmed finally..I hated not knowing..just the way I am..needed confirmation.. got it! Never had a car here with this type of issue..now I have learned something new!:D I usually figure things out but sometime a little help gets it done quicker...maybe this will help somebody else in the future..leave pressure on overnight to find the leak...thanx

Last edited: