Tow Hitch not available for TDI? (Curt)

MrX

TDI
Jetta TDI MK6 6MT
I called my local accessory supplier for a tow hitch and was told there is none available for MkVI TDI. They only carry curt and they have one listed for the regular Jetta (Part #curt 11474)

I also called Curt and was told they do not make a trailer hitch for the TDI.

Has anyone here successfully installed the Curt11474 on their MKVI Jetta TDI? I can't figure out why it would be any different from any other Jetta.. :confused:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We show that as a correct part for the MKVI Jetta Sedan. We've sold a few and haven't heard of any install problems.

MrX

TDI
Jetta TDI MK6 6MT
We show that as a correct part for the MKVI Jetta Sedan. We've sold a few and haven't heard of any install problems.
Awesome. Thank you so much for chiming in.

I wonder why the representative at Curt that I spoke to would say specifically that they do not carry a tow hitch for the TDI. Something fishy

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Many years ago, when I considered mounting a tow hitch on my 2010 Jetta, I was surprised to see that some product literature printed by VW stated "not recommended" in the column headed "tow capacity", yet another brochure from VW stated 2000 lbs max. for a trailer with brakes. When I bought a hitch and proceeded to mount it, I began to understand why VW was so unsure about suitability of the car for towing - there aren't that many places on the car to secure the hitch to, plus, most of them were only sheet metal, i.e. pretty flimsy. The hitch I bought was made by Valley, and despite being made very solid, it was discontinued very soon after I bought it. Also, you own a MKVI, which is a redesigned (cost-reduced) descendant of the vehicle I owned, and I reasonably expect the attachment points to be even flimsier than they were on the MKV. Bottom line - hitch makers may be reluctant to make devices for cars that simply don't offer strong enough points of attachment as it then becomes potential liability.

Last edited:

MrX

TDI
Jetta TDI MK6 6MT
Many years ago, when I considered mounting a tow hitch on my 2010 Jetta, I was surprised to see that some product literature printed by VW stated "not recommended" in the column headed "tow capacity", yet another brochure from VW stated 2000 lbs max. for a trailer with brakes. When I bought a hitch and proceeded to mount it, I began to understand why VW was so unsure about suitability of the car for towing - there aren't that many places on the car to secure the hitch to, plus, most of them were only sheet metal, i.e. pretty flimsy. The hitch I bought was made by DrawTite, and despite being made very solid, it was discontinued very soon after I bought it. Also, you own a MKVI, which is a redesigned (cost-reduced) descendant of the vehicle I owned, and I reasonably expect the attachment points to be even flimsier than they were on the MKV. Bottom line - hitch makers may be reluctant to make devices for cars that simply don't offer strong enough points of attachment as it then becomes potential liability.
Lol, I don't know how this makes me feel about my newly purchased TDI, my first VW ever. When I was in Europe I would see TDIs all day with hitches attached which had me impressed. Part of the reason I decided to make the plunge and get one.

I am still baffled though, why would they only drop the TDI from their catalogue? From what I have been able to gather so far, there is no difference in installation between the gas and TDI models..

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
I am still baffled though, why would they only drop the TDI from their catalogue? From what I have been able to gather so far, there is no difference in installation between the gas and TDI models..
I have another story for you. Before I placed the order for the hitch, I called the manufacturer to double-check the model I selected would fit my vehicle. I was assured repeatedly that there would be no fitment issues mounting it on my Jetta TDI. The customer support guy told me there is no difference between the diesel and gasser in terms of their frames. Then, the hitch arrived in a big box, and guess what. Those idiot "also engineers" from Valley never bothered to mount their creation on a diesel model, as there was significant interference with the muffler. They were correct when they stated that the vehicle frames are the same, but that's as far as they went and that was enough for them to declare with a straight face that this hitch will fit both gasser and diesel. It didn't. The two exhaust pipes leading from the muffler out into the atmosphere were straight on the gasser, and I have no doubt the hitch would have fit perfectly. However, on the diesel, those two pipes were curved upwards and then down, which assured significant interference with the hitch.

I don't know if the same difference exists between the gas and diesel versions on the later models such as yours, but, if so, that, coupled with the fact that diesels are no longer imported here, may be the reason why Curt decided to drop that model. In the end, I decided to put the hitch on a milling machine and remove some material to eliminate the interference. It seemed to be less painful solution than to return the hitch and order another one from a different manufacturer with no guarantee this one would fit.

Last edited:

MrX

TDI
Jetta TDI MK6 6MT
I have another story for you. Before I placed the order for the hitch, I called the manufacturer to double-check the model I selected would fit my vehicle. I was assured repeatedly that there would be no fitment issues mounting it on my Jetta TDI. The customer support guy told me there is no difference between the diesel and gasser in terms of their frames. Then, the hitch arrived in a big box, and guess what. Those idiot "also engineers" from Valley never bothered to mount their creation on a diesel model, as there was significant interference with the muffler. They were correct when they stated that the vehicle frames are the same, but that's as far as they went and that was enough for them to declare with a straight face that this hitch will fit both gasser and diesel. It didn't. The two exhaust pipes leading from the muffler out into the atmosphere were straight on the gasser, and I have no doubt the hitch would have fit perfectly. However, on the diesel, those two pipes were curved upwards and then down, which assured significant interference with the hitch.

I don't know if the same difference exists between the gas and diesel versions on the later models such as yours, but, if so, that, coupled with the fact that diesels are no longer imported here, may be the reason why Curt decided to drop that model. In the end, I decided to put the hitch on a milling machine and remove some material to eliminate the interference. It seemed to be less painful solution than to return the hitch and order another one from a different manufacturer with no guarantee this one would fit.

Cool, thanks for the background. I might pick one up tomorrow and give it a shot, so I guess we'll know soon enough

I just sold my 2002 4Runner, couldn't justify the insurance for those just-in-case weekends of hauling a light fishing boat. Hopefully the TDI will be up to the task

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Awesome. Thank you so much for chiming in.
I wonder why the representative at Curt that I spoke to would say specifically that they do not carry a tow hitch for the TDI. Something fishy
I can investigate this further if you'd like. We pulled fitment info from Curt's electronic files so I assume they show fitment for the TDI. If it wasn't there it wouldn't have appeared in our files. But if you want I can double check. And if there's any question I'd be willing to reach out to customers who've purchased and see if they encountered any install problems.

abaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+
I've got a curt hitch on my 2015 Jetta.

There are different hitches for the 2015 vs 2011-2014 TDIs due to the addition of Ad Blue.