The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

VDub2625

TDI
none :(
hey, found your car through a friend, don't know if you are interested, but this is what ETKA pulls up... built Nov 29th, 1997 (it's almost time for a birthday party!), and engine code AHH. European engine, but only used for these rare B5 TDIs in the States. Same for the trans (DHL).

while I don't agree with such heavy modification of such a rare car, it is cool to see it alive and enjoed and driven :)

VDub2625

TDI
none :(
Figured that now I can work ELSA, here's some more info:

It had a tie rod service kit recall done in 2001 at 5201 miles (warranty/recall).
It had the rear right wheelhouse liner replaced in 2005 at 57,447 miles (warranty/recall WK12). This is a recall to protect the fuel tank from a rupturing tire. There was a second recall done (VM11) that I can't find information for.

It's birthdate was 11/29/97 as I mentioned, and the first sale date was 1/1/98, to "VWOA-DET.AUTO SHOW." and the address is their headquarters in Auburn Hills, MI. They're still listed as the current owner, I guess until you bring it in somewhere for a service! :)

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
Someone, Mods, whoever is in charge, do not let this thread get deleted ! Its great reference !

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Hi there JFettig,

I wanted to necromance your thread and ask a quick question about your 2003 harness with 2001 ECU. It sounds like this was a success but it's not 100% clear.

Did you have success moving just one glow plug wire on the ECU connector? Did the 2003 GP relay then work with the 2001 ECU and software?

I have a 2003 harness all set up for a swap, but I'd prefer to use the software from a 2001 or older ECU so I don't have to deal with the misidentified maps for 2002 and 2003 ecus in VAGEDC Suite. I'd rather move a wire at the connector right now if it saves me from having to manually look up most maps every time I want to tweak the tune.

Thanks!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Its been a long time, its 1 or 2 wires moved over to run the old relay, you can't run the 2002-2003 relay on a 2000-2001 ECU.

The Passat is in my shop now, hopefully I'll get back to work on it - mice chewed up the wiring harness last winter so I left it in storage.

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Thanks for the confirmation! Will pick up an old style relay an mod the harness accordingly.

If my harness gets munched on I'm going to be bummed. Jimbote better not have been snacking on cheese while he worked on it.

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
Nice to see some action on your B5, JFettig. I had a few wires chewed up on my A4 that was fixed before my swap began. Wee beasties can get in the most odd places. Wonder what it taste like to them? Must be good, like a smorgasbord of things! I think the diesel wires would be better than the gas ones. Yum, yum.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
We turned two chapters in less than a week. A couple friends(Greengeeker and Leppy) came out for a "New Year's Eve party" and we're great help in fixing and putting the car back together. We got the Passat running that night. Took a couple days to get a new battery, replace the vacuum lines and get tuning fixed. A couple days of tuning as I found time, found a lot of new power and fixed some issues. Also found the limit of 5th gear tonight! I'll have to find an 01E to swap in. It was making about 50psi around 3000rpm when I hit redline with a great big crunch. Luckily I still had a very grindey 4th gear to make it off the freeway. Sounded a lot like my conical Burr coffee grinder for about half a mile.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks Jerry

I have a little less than 2000 miles on the new 6spd transmission(w/ LSD) and new fibertuff disk from clutchmasters. It's running really good and really strong. Just got some new tires yesterday, firehawk indy 500, nice and sticky.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yup! super rigid motor mount combined with a boatload of torque made it crack all over. I welded it up but I should probably figure out what other part numbers fit because this one doesn't appear to be available in NA.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Looks like you have enough room/clearance that you could weld it and add a few gussets to reinforce?

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Yup! super rigid motor mount combined with a boatload of torque made it crack all over. I welded it up but I should probably figure out what other part numbers fit because this one doesn't appear to be available in NA.
Looks kind of like the Battlestar Galactica at the end of the series when it had been all beat to hell .......

essentially the years of use have done the same thing to that motor mount bracket.

Maybe you can find machine shop that can make a similar piece. Then maybe you can cut the cracked one out clean and weld in a new one , your hand made new one in.....

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Looks kind of like the Battlestar Galactica at the end of the series when it had been all beat to hell .......
essentially the years of use have done the same thing to that motor mount bracket.
Maybe you can find machine shop that can make a similar piece. Then maybe you can cut the cracked one out clean and weld in a new one , your hand made new one in.....
I bet JFettig could make his own engine mount?? haha
I just happen to own 2 4-axis CNC's..... :D

In reality it's not worth making a billet mount, I'd rather just buy a couple junk yard mounts and reinforce them if it becomes necessary.