www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old November 1st, 2019, 10:05   #1
SilverWagon
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Default Transmission with marbles in a can

I took my 2015 Golf TDI SEL into the dealership a week ago because I would hear a weird rattling noise when coasting in first or second gear. The rattle is metallic like and it sounds like marbles in a can.

The dealership had three different techs inspect the vehicle and they couldn't determine what the sound was. They said that it was coming from the transmission but didn't know what it was. They got a hold of the VW techline and said that they were going to wait for a district manager to come and drive the car.

I don't believe that anyone actually came to drive the car but the dealership ultimately called me and said that the only way to tell what is wrong is to open up the transmission. They're telling me that it's going to cost $1,400 for labor to tear down the transmission and put it back together again. If during that tear down they find that it's a manufacturer defect they will cover it under warranty. If not, I pay for labor and parts.

Considering it's cheaper to use a third-party mechanic I thought I would ask you guys what you would do in this situation.

Last edited by SilverWagon; November 1st, 2019 at 10:36.
SilverWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 10:42   #2
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: In the sig

Do you have the 2 year unlimited mile warranty when they were pushing the CPO TDIs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 13:35   #3
SilverWagon
Veteran Member

Yes, but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. They said that I have to let them do the investigation. He said that if I take the car to a third-party mechanic what they find won't be considered warrantable. They're basically saying that I have to risk paying for the diagnostic if the clutch assembly has failed due to driver abuse. Unfortunately I'm the second owner of this vehicle.
Old November 1st, 2019, 13:41   #4
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Manual car?

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old November 1st, 2019, 14:57   #5
SilverWagon
Veteran Member

Yes. I would not buy a auto with a dual-clutch. I've heard way too many bad things about the reliability and that they're expensive to replace repair
Old November 1st, 2019, 15:02   #6
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Ahh gotcha. I had assumed it was a DSG being an SEL trim level.

For what it’s worth, I am not really a fan of autos either, but the DSG in these cars is pretty good. Tuning could use some work, but seems strong and reliable.

Good luck brother with whatever decision you make.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old November 1st, 2019, 15:07   #7
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I think it's more likely that the rattling is caused by a failing dual mass flywheel.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 15:39   #8
abishoff

I don’t understand why it matters how the problem was cause. If you have full coverage on the drivetrain, shouldn’t it be covered? Even if it’s a clutch or flywheel, which are technically “wareable” items, they shouldn’t be disintegrating.

abishoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 16:26   #9
15TDICommuter

TDI(s): 2015 GSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWagon View Post
Yes, but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. They said that I have to let them do the investigation. He said that if I take the car to a third-party mechanic what they find won't be considered warrantable. They're basically saying that I have to risk paying for the diagnostic if the clutch assembly has failed due to driver abuse. Unfortunately I'm the second owner of this vehicle.

How could they say its driver abuse?

I also thought the CPO carried a small deductable which was the diagnostic fee?

MY 2015 also will get chattery when at the 15mph mark in a parking lot, as if it can't decide shifting up into 2nd or leaving it in 1st with light pedal input. In 2nd it would be bogged down, but I've got learned to pop it into sport mode and let it wind up rather than go for the shift. If I miss it or forget that its going to hop around the shift, at quick jab and hold will shift it up and accelerate. Or just coast at a slower speed to let it shift down and hold first with no peddle input.
Old November 1st, 2019, 17:16   #10
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15TDICommuter View Post

MY 2015 also will get chattery when at the 15mph mark in a parking lot, as if it can't decide shifting up into 2nd or leaving it in 1st with light pedal input. In 2nd it would be bogged down, but I've got learned to pop it into sport mode and let it wind up rather than go for the shift. If I miss it or forget that its going to hop around the shift, at quick jab and hold will shift it up and accelerate. Or just coast at a slower speed to let it shift down and hold first with no peddle input.

I agree on the deductible fee. That should be brought up.

OPs car is a stick shift not a DSG.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old November 1st, 2019, 19:40   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I guess you are finding the manual trans aren't all that cheap either. The clutch can be compromised by abuse and would not be covered. Someone who rides the clutch all the time or does rocket launches constantly would tear up the clutch and not be considered normal. If you want the dealer to do warranty work you will have to take your chances with them. I would bet it is the DMF that is doing this and a clutch job would more than likely take care of it. I would consider having one of our trusted mechanics look it over. Check the list.
Old November 1st, 2019, 21:15   #12
SilverWagon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15TDICommuter View Post

I've never been charged a deductible. I don't I think there is a deductible.

They are telling me that they have to tear the transmission apart to diagnose the problem. When they diagnose the problem is when it is determined who has to pay to fix the vehicle. The dealership understands that Volkswagen won't pay them if the malfunction is due to driver wear.
Old November 1st, 2019, 21:19   #13
SilverWagon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I guess you are finding the manual trans aren't all that cheap either. The clutch can be compromised by abuse and would not be covered. Someone who rides the clutch all the time or does rocket launches constantly would tear up the clutch and not be considered normal. If you want the dealer to do warranty work you will have to take your chances with them. I would bet it is the DMF that is doing this and a clutch job would more than likely take care of it. I would consider having one of our trusted mechanics look it over. Check the list.
Before buying this car I called local transmission shops asking what it would cost to rebuild an automatic dual clutch transmission. They said that it would cost 3,000 plus dollars. Manual transmissions don't fail like automatic transmissions. It's usually just a flywheel or clutch replacement. From my research a stage 2 clutch and flywheel will cost $800 in parts. Labor to install that in San Diego should cost me six to seven hundred dollars.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 00:07   #14
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWagon View Post
Before buying this car I called local transmission shops asking what it would cost to rebuild an automatic dual clutch transmission. They said that it would cost 3,000 plus dollars. Manual transmissions don't fail like automatic transmissions. It's usually just a flywheel or clutch replacement. From my research a stage 2 clutch and flywheel will cost $800 in parts. Labor to install that in San Diego should cost me six to seven hundred dollars.

How many DSGs are they actually seeing in the shop? And specifically of your year/generation? I know some of the previous DSGs like pre 2010 if not earlier had some issues. But from what I’ve read, with proper maintenance, the DSG is a beef cake. The clutch packs like their clean fluid. It’s essentially a manual trans that shifts automatically. Not necessarily as complex as a normal auto trans, least once a simple dumbed down video j saw on YouTube explaining how it goes through the gears. But the bonus of it being a manual shifted automatically, is it has the strength that goes alone with the mechanics of a manual.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old November 2nd, 2019, 03:10   #15
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Find a different dealer. Unless you damaged the clutch doing launches and/or have a tune, I can’t imagine them finding you at fault.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote