Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Under ideal conditions the VW507.00 oils are good for maybe 12,000-15,000 miles. They certainly won't last as long as an API, CI-4+/SL or CJ-4/SM oil, simply because the starting TBN's are much lower. You may also recall that the 0w-30, VW 506.01 formulations were also developed for extended service. Those VW 506.01 oils had starting TBN's of 10.5-11.5, vs 5.5-6.5 for a VW 504.00/507.00 oils.

TS

annettev

TDI
2009 JSW tdi
My question, as I am about to do my first 2009 JSW oil change, is this--is the Amsoil European 5W30 "better" than other 507 oils, and why/why not? I have always been an Amsoil fan and want to run Amsoil in this car, but if all of the 507 oils are the same then why the added expense? Should I just look for the cheapest 507 oil available? Like anyone else, I just want the best oil in my engine.

Any input on that?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The physical/chemical Specs on the Amsoil, VW 507.00 oil are excellent; better in fact than their 5w-40 European Formula. I've seen no oil analysis data on this oil yet after actual service, but I'd expect it to be at least as good as anything else out there.

As for the cost per quart, what you pay for oil & filters makes up a very small percentage of the overall costs related to owning any vehicle. Particularly when you take into account car payments, depreciation, insurance, fuel and other maintenance & repairs. For example, total lube related costs for OTR trucks (engine oil, transmission/diff fluids, grease, etc), is typically 1.5%-2.0% the overall operating cost.

I've been using/selling Amsoil for over thirty years and continue to use it, simply because I've had extremely good, long term results with all their products. Are there less expensive products per quart out there? Of course. However I'm comfortable running very long change intervals with Amsoil, based on 17 years of experience with oil analysis testing. So my cost per mile (taking into account the value of my labor), is as low as it would be with anything else.

TS

DrinkinDiesel

TDI
Couple o' diesel benz
AMSOIL ROCKS!!

Sorry ATF comment is kinda off topic, but............

The synth trans fluid is great. It's burn temp is much higher than dino based atf, so if your trans keeps buring fluid and shifting hard it will forestall the inevitable rebuild.
I need a rebuild on my 2002 Honda, but using AMSOIL SYNTH ATF has given me a 10,000 miles reprieve, so far.

Last edited:

bruca003

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 golf GLS TDI, 2005 passat wagon tdi.
Bought my first jug of 5W40 amsoil for $48. Scrapping the dealer oil for good. Anyhow, the amsoil guy told me I am good for 40000 km OCI. I failed to ask even though I do a lot of city driving and short distances.
I find it very interesting that the oil is good that long.
What would you say is a good OCI for short city driving. Under 10k
I assume the oil won't last as long.
When I was buying the dealer oil 505 01, I would change every 10k.

Thanks in advance.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Bruce,

If you bought Amsoils' 5w-40, European Formula (their recommended oil for the PD engine), I'd change it at 16,000 km intervals. You simply can't make blanket statements regarding service intervals without taking into account the severity of the duty cycle, the mechanical condition of the engine (including any mods), fuel quality and even individual
driving styles.

Note that for some of the Pre-PD engines, it is possible to run some of Amsoils 12 TBN, HD synthetic diesel oils (like their 15w-40/AME, 10w-40/AMO or the Series 3000, 5w-30), for 40,000 km under ideal conditions. This would be a vehicle that's doing predominately long distance highway driving. But I wouldn't run this long without doing some oil analysis testing.

TS

rprice704

TDI
2001 jetta 1.9 tdi
just bought 2001 jetta . I run amsoil in my cummins and love. I want to run it in this car too my first ? is which one should I run there are so many opinions on weight. Other is I have bypass filtration on my truck is there a kit for this car or one that can be modified to fit? This is a 100 page thread and I only read 15 pages of bickering. I just want information.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
I need to get my oil tested but I have been running DEO for sometime now. Cams look great. I do mostly highway driving. I have probably 30,000 miles on DEO.

2005 PD Golf

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
just bought 2001 jetta . I run amsoil in my cummins and love. I want to run it in this car too my first ? is which one should I run there are so many opinions on weight. Other is I have bypass filtration on my truck is there a kit for this car or one that can be modified to fit? This is a 100 page thread and I only read 15 pages of bickering. I just want information.
I, personally, run the Amsoil DEO in my car. It's 5w-40 diesel labled oil. You have the same engine that I've got, so you should not have any problems running that. As far as the bypass kit, there was one that was made and marketed for the TDI, but I don't believe it's being made anymore. I think it was dieselgeek that had put it out. If anyone knows whether or not the kit is still being made, I hope they chime in with an answer.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Very easy, just measure twice when drilling/tapping the valve cover. You want to make sure everything goes together the first time!

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
Whew! Made it to the end of this thread!

I bought a '09 TDI DSG new and it just reached the 40K Service, the first without VW paying for it. It is also my first diesel, and my first VW. When I called the Dealer to schedule the oil change/ DSG Service, I almost fell off my chair when they quoted me the price- $1,050. I've been using Amsoil for 20+ yrs so switching wasn't the issue, but picking which oil and figuring out the DSG service has been a bit of a headache. Which is why I read all 98 pages of this thread, as well as the DSG pages.

Thanks to all who've offered CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts and ideas, and to the Mods for providing this forum for the exchange of CONSTRUCTIVE information!

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
As regards the selection of motor oil, you might first want to see if AMSOIL offers a product with the proper specifications. The last time I asked, the company did not. I too would like to know more about the procedure for changing the DSG fluid and filter.

I paid a bit less for the 40K mi service than the figure you quoted, including flushing the brake fluid.

I bought a '09 TDI DSG new and it just reached the 40K Service, the first without VW paying for it. It is also my first diesel, and my first VW. When I called the Dealer to schedule the oil change/ DSG Service, I almost fell off my chair when they quoted me the price- $1,050. I've been using Amsoil for 20+ yrs so switching wasn't the issue, but picking which oil and figuring out the DSG service has been a bit of a headache. Which is why I read all 98 pages of this thread, as well as the DSG pages.

Thanks to all who've offered CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts and ideas, and to the Mods for providing this forum for the exchange of CONSTRUCTIVE information!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

As regards the selection of motor oil, you might first want to see if AMSOIL offers a product with the proper specifications. The last time I asked, the company did not. I too would like to know more about the procedure for changing the DSG fluid and filter.

I paid a bit less for the 40K mi service than the figure you quoted, including flushing the brake fluid.
For engine oil you are in luck:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ael.aspx

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Thanks. It appears that quite a few companies are now marketing oils that meet VW's requirements for the new generation engines. This is good news to me.
There's always been a reasonably fair selection of 507.00 oils as it's been around since 2007 or so.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Amsoil does not make a synthetic fluid for the DSG transmissions, only for some of the tiptronics....When in doubt, I'd check the product lookup on their website.

I haven't gotten much feedback from customers on the Amsoil 504.00/507.00 oil. I intend to test it in the Audi TT one of these days.

TS

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
There's always been a reasonably fair selection of 507.00 oils as it's been around since 2007 or so.
I learn something (almost) every day. Thanks again. It's good to know that we aren't tied to VW dealerships for engine lubricants and that the multilevel marketers aren't VW's only competition. <g>

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
It would be illegal for VW to require a specific replacement part (including lubricants), for which there isn't a second source or any competition. So the engine sequence test requirements and chemical limits of their lubricants are available to people in the industry. I haven't looked around, but I'm sure there's also an outside vendor who sells the DSG fluid....

TK

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
It would be illegal for VW to require a specific replacement part (including lubricants), for which there isn't a second source or any competition. So the engine sequence test requirements and chemical limits of their lubricants are available to people in the industry. I haven't looked around, but I'm sure there's also an outside vendor who sells the DSG fluid....

TK
VW could require the use of a proprietary part or chemical but it would have to furnish same for no additional charge.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
So the DSG uses a canister type oil filter element with upper/lower o-rings? Is it external to the transmission housing?

The market share of DSG transmissions is supposed to greatly increase in the next few years - for example, Fords 2011 Focus uses one - so I'm sure you'll start to see additional sources of these fluids.

How long does a do it yourself, DSG fluid change take???

TDI
2009 Jeta
My thoughts

I have read most of this post but not all so if I have missed something sorry.

I have seen a lot of comments on whether Amsoil really does meet VW specs.

TS has addressed many of them so thanks TS.

I have a 2009 and and cant wait till we come out with new filters and trany fluid. I am also going to be installing a By-pass system as soon as I can once I reach the 30k and am going to try to go longer drain intervals 20k should be easy with the by-pass

TS is right in saying not to use the AFL in the new 2009 TDI because of the DPF this could cost you a lot of money down the road replacing the DPF. The AFL oil on the other hand with out the DPF could be used. For those that have older TDI's can use the AEL as I have been advised it is backwards compatible the 5w30 could net some gains in fuel milage.

The AEL is made as well as all of our oils with the finest materials available to us. I started using the AEL and started getting better fuel mileage I am sure some is related to the oil.

I would like to share with you possible results using Amsoil. I have a PDF for you 1996 Pasat with 278,000 http://www.freeoilhelp.com/full_story.php?art_id=218&&group_id=7; and here is a 1985 Jetta 572 k & 2000 570 k Explorer the read the 409 Explorer first.
The Pasat used our 5w30 diesel oil with amazing results.
This may seem amazing and a onetime thing but I assure you they are not.

If you want to e mail me please do I hope you get something out of this.

[FONT=&quot]Bill Crow[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Don’t be a victim of big oil Propaganda[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bill Crow - Amsoil Direct Distributor[/FONT]
ZO # 1176229
[FONT=&quot]1251 Reiker Ford Rd.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]St Clair MO 63077[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-636-629-8033[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]E-mail - Bill@FreeOilHelp.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.FreeOilHelp.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.BillsOilHelp.com[/FONT]

Last edited:

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
This is by any measure a commercial post. Are you a sponsor of this Board? Maybe I am alone but I think commercial posts should be so labeled at the top and in the subject line.

I have read most of this post but not all so if I have missed something sorry.

I have seen a lot of comments on whether Amsoil really does meet VW specs.

TS has addressed many of them so thanks TS.

I have a 2009 and and cant wait till we come out with new filters and trany fluid. I am also going to be installing a By-pass system as soon as I can once I reach the 30k and am going to try to go longer drain intervals 20k should be easy with the by-pass

TS is right in saying not to use the AFL in the new 2009 TDI because of the DPF this could cost you a lot of money down the road replacing the DPF. The AFL oil on the other hand with out the DPF could be used. For those that have older TDI's can use the AEL as I have been advised it is backwards compatible the 5w30 could net some gains in fuel milage.

The AEL is made as well as all of our oils with the finest materials available to us. I started using the AEL and started getting better fuel mileage I am sure some is related to the oil.

I would like to share with you possible results using Amsoil. I have a PDF for you 1996 Pasat with 278,000 and here is a 1985 Jetta 572 k & 2000 570 k Explorer the read the 409 Explorer first.
The Pasat used our 5w30 diesel oil with amazing results.
This may seem amazing and a onetime thing but I assure you they are not.

If you want to e mail me please do I hope you get something out of this.

[FONT=&quot]Bill Crow[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Don’t be a victim of big oil Propaganda[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bill Crow - Amsoil Direct Distributor[/FONT]
ZO # 1176229
[FONT=&quot]1251 Reiker Ford Rd.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]St Clair MO 63077[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-636-629-8033[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]E-mail - Bill@FreeOilHelp.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.FreeOilHelp.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.BillsOilHelp.com[/FONT]

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Ben, it looks like Bill Crow is a registered vendor here. So he is OK, I would assume.
I feel sure that Mr. Crow is well within his rights but would like to see commercial posts more clearly identified mas such. I'm funny that way.:)

TDI
2009 Jeta
It is in the Amsoil only I was just adding my view point from being a dealer never to miss lead anyone I was completely up front.

Sorry you feel otherwise.

Bill