www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old December 9th, 2019, 10:42   #1
colburt

Default mk6 Jetta TDI weird start

Sorry I've searched all through the forums and haven't found another situation like mine. 2012 VW jetta TDI DSG
Happened last week once and just today.
Last week went to leave work(I live 1hour drive away) and car started but died, Went to restart and wouldn't start, fair amount of knocking coming from motor. Only way to get it going was to hold accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking. Sounds terrible until after about 10 seconds idles out and sounds fine.
No check engine lights, and hasn't been scanned, no local people to ask.
Did the same thing this morning, both weren't that cold of nights at all. I already have the upgraded intercooler. Motor has 151,000kms with DSG.
Anyone have the same issue at all?
colburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 11:15   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The cold weather intercooler helps, but may not be 100% for everyone, plus post-Dieselgate cars assuming you got the "fix" will be using an even more aggressive EGR duty cycle.

If you run the engine hard (higher load, higher RPM) for a few seconds before you shut it down, it should help blow the charge air tract clean so when you go to restart it after sitting there will not be any excess moisture sitting in there.

You may also want to make sure the vacuum flap and associated hoses on the cold weather intercooler are indeed still intact and functioning.
Old December 9th, 2019, 11:29   #3
colburt

Sorry it does have the Dieselgate fix. I had it at the dealer over summer for thumping noises in P and N and they did mention the intercooler being the coldweather option one and that they took the charge hoses off to check for water or sludge and it was clean.
I did drive home a couple weeks ago in a foot and bit of snow and slush so that may have jiggled something loose.
colburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 05:09   #4
Adam90

TDI(s): 2015 Jetta

Why do you keep apologizing at the beginning of each your post?
Adam90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 21:53   #5
My_name_is_Rob
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Jetta
Fuel Economy: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam90 View Post
He's Canadian, give him a break.
Old December 10th, 2019, 21:53   #6
My Wifes TDI

Fuel Economy: 4.1L/100km, 5.0L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam90 View Post
He's a nice Canadian. Nothing wrong with that!
Mine starts rough sometimes when it's cold but nothing like my older diesel pick-ups. Try plugging it in and I bet it doesn't do it....... but I totally could be wrong. For the record I am no pro on these Jettas. I've driven well over a million kms with diesel pickups but very few kms with these little diesel cars.
My Wifes TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2019, 14:08   #7
herbz

I've experienced something similar as the OP described. The car starts, then immediately dies, then restarting I need to get on the throttle to stay running but not to the floor like the OP. It usually takes 10-15 seconds for it to smooth out and then runs fine. It's happened in both summer and winter so I don't think it's weather related.

I used to live in a condo building with a heated parkade and it started like crap all the time in there, now I have a unheated detached garage and it starts 100x better. Go figure.