Wheel weight and mileage

Hussman

TDI
2003 VW Jetta ALH TDI 5 speed
I did some research and found out the stock rims on my 2003 ALH Jetta weigh 16.5LB before tires. I have some type 25 grey MSW wheels on it and they weigh 20LB before tires. The MSW are also 16s instead of the stock 15 AVON I think they are called.

Do you think that 3.5 pounds and one inch is hurting my mileage? By how much?

Thanks.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
When I went from the 5 blade 15 inch 6.5 inch to the BBS 16 inch 7.5 width tires I lost a point or 2 in the mpg category but I love the look and preserving the BBS wheels because I think they're gorgeous.

I would expect road manners are more affected than mpg. From my sport bike days, your wheel weight dictated how much centrifugal affect on the bike. I realize that the car doesn't act like a bike but the forces are still at work and a heavier wheel takes longer to respond to inputs like bumps and also takes longer to counteract.

I would think it would affect city driving mpg more than highway or constant speed driving if any real difference were able to be noticed.

Contact patch is probably more critical to fuel mileage than wheel weight due to absolute resistance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Or was it 5.5 to 6.5...the BBS wheels(Wolfsburg) are an inch wider...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Tires of a different circumference is an added variable. Different contact patch, even depth of rubber will make a small difference.

But the answer is yes, different weight wheels will affect mileage. I have no data, but the amount must be very small, all but insignificant.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Probably the biggest difference will be found when moving from the stock 15" steelies which weigh in at about 23 pounds to the ubiquitous Avus 15" aluminum wheels that weight in at 17.5 pounds. Big mass difference with no appreciable change in any other variable. Well, except the compliance of the wheel itself.

Anyway, usually even those of us in the unwashed masses can tell the difference in such a wheel swap.

Cheers,

PH

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I just went from 16" Key West to 17" Turbo S wheels and the tires went from 205/60/16 to 225/45/17 and my mileage went up .5 mpg's. The car handles way better with the wider tires and the lower aspect ratio.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I just went from 16" Key West to 17" Turbo S wheels and the tires went from 205/60/16 to 225/45/17 and my mileage went up .5 mpg's. The car handles way better with the wider tires and the lower aspect ratio.

My mileage always went down going to the 245/45/17s. About 3 mpg at least in more than one Jetta (sedan and wagon). Wider lower profile almost always means less mpgs.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe if one were to go from an aggressive summer tire to a fuel efficiency tire, you might break even...but that's what I've always seen...bigger wider = more fuel used...

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
The side of the tire said max pressure is 50 psi. I am running 45 psi in all 4. Can't answer why it is better but I am happy. The 205/55/16 is the stock size but I got a deal on my last set that had a 60 aspect ratio tires and the 225/45 are pretty close to the stock size on the Turbo S wheels.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I went from stock steelies and Ecopia 195 70R 15 tires to Avus rims and Ecopia 205 70 R 15 (I believe that was the size but in any event it was the next size up )....

RPM's at speed definitely went down (speedo is now right with GPS speed) , maybe a little quieter , didn't feel different performance wise .... MPG went up a bit but not alot ... maybe a few tenths over my standard driving route.

I like the meatier tires and the extra ground clearance .....from now on I'll roll on the larger tires.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I never read every response, so if this was discussed, excuse me.

Changing wheel/tire size can affect the accuracy of your odometer. Smaller tires will rotate more times in a mile and the opposite for larger tires. So, smaller than stock will overstate miles and larger tires will understate miles.

Bottom line, larger tires may slow down the RPMs at a given MPH, but they will under-register the number of miles traveled between fill-ups. So, the improved fuel economy may be understated as those taller tires caused the odometer to understate miles traveled. Thus, an adjustment is necessary to establish base data for the new tires. Example: How much do they understate miles over a long distance? You can get close by using Mile Markers but GPS is much better.

My Jetta always under-stated miles by about 1%. I come to that conclusion years before I got my first GPS. GPS proved the difference to be more like 1.25%. And, a brand new tire will be larger than a worn out tire.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I never read every response, so if this was discussed, excuse me.

Changing wheel/tire size can affect the accuracy of your odometer. Smaller tires will rotate more times in a mile and the opposite for larger tires. So, smaller than stock will overstate miles and larger tires will understate miles.

Bottom line, larger tires may slow down the RPMs at a given MPH, but they will under-register the number of miles traveled between fill-ups. So, the improved fuel economy may be understated as those taller tires caused the odometer to understate miles traveled. Thus, an adjustment is necessary to establish base data for the new tires. Example: How much do they understate miles over a long distance? You can get close by using Mile Markers but GPS is much better.

My Jetta always under-stated miles by about 1%. I come to that conclusion years before I got my first GPS. GPS proved the difference to be more like 1.25%. And, a brand new tire will be larger than a worn out tire.
HI,

That is true and I did scale MPG as a result of the % of increase in tire diameter (smaller tire diameter is more revs per mile than the larger tire).

On the flip side, I have read that while the speedo usually reads slower than actual speed using the stock tire size supposedly the Odometer readings were supposed to be calibrated correctly....

To be honest I did not drive say 10 miles worth of mile posts to see how accurate the odometer is VS highway mile markers...

I may try to do that next time I get a highway run to see how the bigger tires affect actual odometer readings over 10 or so highway miles...

Thanks

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, if your speedo reading became more "accurate" the odometer is now probably under reporting actual distance traveled.
Going from the stock 195/65/15 tires/alloy wheels to 205/65/15 (not running these currently) on the same OEM alloy wheels brings my speedo readings very close to actual and under reported miles about 1.5% IIRC.
Width and full new tread depth seem a major rolling resistance. Almost worn out tread roll easier, but of course, not worth the safety considerations.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
My mileage always went down going to the 245/45/17s. About 3 mpg at least in more than one Jetta (sedan and wagon). Wider lower profile almost always means less mpgs.

245 45 17 are substantialy taller than a 225 45 17 tire, I would expect a difference. That would be roughly 7/10 of an inch taller

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
245 45 17 are substantialy taller than a 225 45 17 tire, I would expect a difference. That would be roughly 7/10 of an inch taller

Tire companies all produce an on-line spec sheet for all their tires that will give you all the measurements. Circumference, revolutions per mile, etc...
Makes for some interesting comparisons. Not all same/similar sizes roll the same measurements.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Like this one..

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

EDIT: When I was calibrating the Dakota Digital Interface for the Vehicle Speed Sensor data to the Jetta Cluster I installed in my Vanagon, it took several attempts to get it right. I used a GPS unit to make the adjustments. I found that setting the Speedometer about 2 MPH fast, like in the Jetta, resulted in the Odometer being about 99.999% accurate. My wife operated the Interface by pressing up and down buttons to synchronize the vehicle speed on the speedometer at 70 with GPS showing 68 while I did the driving at a steady state speed.

So, at 70 MPH on the Speedometer, the GPS unit says 68 mph as well as those road side Radar Signs that display your speed.

The two long road trips resulted in the GPS and Odometer being less than 0.0001 difference. I'm satisfied with that.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Like this one..

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

EDIT: When I was calibrating the Dakota Digital Interface for the Vehicle Speed Sensor data to the Jetta Cluster I installed in my Vanagon, it took several attempts to get it right. I used a GPS unit to make the adjustments. I found that setting the Speedometer about 2 MPH fast, like in the Jetta, resulted in the Odometer being about 99.999% accurate. My wife operated the Interface by pressing up and down buttons to synchronize the vehicle speed on the speedometer at 70 with GPS showing 68 while I did the driving at a steady state speed.

So, at 70 MPH on the Speedometer, the GPS unit says 68 mph as well as those road side Radar Signs that display your speed.

The two long road trips resulted in the GPS and Odometer being less than 0.0001 difference. I'm satisfied with that.
Even better is go to the web site of your particular tire brand. They have all their SKUs listed and there are differences between versions even in the same sizes.

That's getting as accurate as practical Andy! Does the Jetta cluster fit into the place meant for the original Vanagon's panel?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
hey-Hey!!!
The biggest thing I notice seems to be improved ride from lower unsprung weight. More wheel mass is not a good thing. in MI, I run 205/65's and keep them inflated so as not to succumb to a pot hole induced flat. It seems to be working. If I need more handling, I will find an S1 Esprit to drive...:)
cheers,
Douglas

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
Even better is go to the web site of your particular tire brand. They have all their SKUs listed and there are differences between versions even in the same sizes.
That's getting as accurate as practical Andy! Does the Jetta cluster fit into the place meant for the original Vanagon's panel?

Better would be to just measure the tire, if we want to split hairs. That would account for wear

Last edited:

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
As I said in the beginning. A 245 45 17 is roughly 7/10ths of a inch taller or .71 than a 225 45 17. If there is debate over that than you are splitting hairs.

245 40 17 would be a very comparable tire height to a 225 45 17 if someone wanted to go wider.

Lastly tires should be steel belted. There will be a negligible height difference when mounted.if you are inflating a modern steel belted tire and it is getting taller, than you are also damaging said tire

Last edited:

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
Your tire pressure will also make a difference in the rolling radius.

Yes and no. If the tire is properly inflated there will be no difference in height. A tire with 30 psi and a tire with 40 psi should be the same size. The rebound of the tire would be the difference. Now if you were comparing a 10 psi tire to a 40 psi. The steel belts would keep a tire from getting taller. Rolling resistance would decrease with more air.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Yes and no. If the tire is properly inflated there will be no difference in height. A tire with 30 psi and a tire with 40 psi should be the same size. The rebound of the tire would be the difference. Now if you were comparing a 10 psi tire to a 40 psi. The steel belts would keep a tire from getting taller. Rolling resistance would decrease with more air.
Agreed on the tire not getting taller but then can get minimally shorter. The tire needs to be properly inflated as the side walls have varying stiffness too depending on the profile.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
The tire diameter is NOT it's rolling radius. Tires are not round when loaded, they have a significant flat spot that defines the tread contact patch - and this patch will decrease in size when air pressure is raised - and rolling radius will change accordingly as will revs/mile. The steel belt flat spot changes with it. This, BTW, is how newer ABS systems doe tire pressure management - by counting the revs Iactually ABS tone ring pulses) of each wheel and alarming with one increases due to lower air pressure.

And, from an earlier comment: 0.7" difference in tire diameter is significant.

Last edited:

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
The tire diameter is NOT it's rolling radius. Tires are not round when loaded, they have a significant flat spot that defines the tread contact patch - and this patch will decrease in size when air pressure is raised - and rolling radius will change accordingly as will revs/mile. The steel belt flat spot changes with it. This, BTW, is how newer ABS systems doe tire pressure management - by counting the revs Iactually ABS tone ring pulses) of each wheel and alarming with one increases due to lower air pressure.

And, from an earlier comment: 0.7" difference in tire diameter is significant.
I agree .71 is a huge difference in tire size. That is what I told the poster. Someone made a comment they lost mpg with 245 45 17. That is a substantialy taller tire.

As to the other comment about radius, I understand weight and air pressure can change that. Which is the reason I said a properly inflated tire will not change radius. If you are changing radius you are either under inflated or over inflated.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I agree .71 is a huge difference in tire size. That is what I told the poster. Someone made a comment they lost mpg with 245 45 17. That is a substantialy taller tire.
As to the other comment about radius, I understand weight and air pressure can change that. Which is the reason I said a properly inflated tire will not change radius. If you are changing radius you are either under inflated or over inflated.
Won't change from what? To be precise, won't change from the ROLLING radius as given by mfg - which is NOT 1/2 the tire diameter. What I do not know is what value of loading the OEM uses to establish rolling radius - as, for instance, the same tire on a FWD car will have considerably different deflection from load front vs. rear, and maybe also vs. mfg standard load.