www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 29th, 2018, 06:33   #1
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40s
Default DSG Service with top fill and drain using Pela Extractor

This seems like a good idea. Anyone try this?
Old August 29th, 2018, 12:47   #2
meerschm
Veteran Member

I do not think you will get what you are looking for.

the folks who do top fill report long waits for fluid to drain into the tranny.

this tells me the available holes under the filter goes to the pump (or the rest of the circuit, valves, and spray nozzles), not into the sump.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2018, 07:43   #3
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

I had to top one up the other day and I used what I'm gong to call a "Reverse Oil Extractor."

I made it with a pesticide sprayer and some 5/16" vinyl tubing.

The tubing was just about the right outside diameter so you could push it up through the plastic snorkel and pump oil in.

I thought it was easier and potentially less messy than the gravity fill method using the fill adapter (although I have one of those too).

Not that this helps you with extracting oil through the top, but I don't think you can do that anyway. It would be nice.
Old August 30th, 2018, 11:03   #4
Franko6

Gravity fill? NO WAY. I have to charge by the clock and people would hate me... and there is no way to drain except by gravity, pull the plug and the stand pipe with an 8mm allen socket.

There is an easy tool we copied. I can't tell you who we copied, but we appreciate SIMPLE. We bought a fill plug for the DSG, drilled a hole into it to install a brass union nipple, about 3/8". We split the union and installed the other half into a cap from one of the DSG oil bottles I think we stiffened up the union connection with a piece of hard plastic, fit inside the lid. We used the ever famous, good for too many things to not own some, JB Weld, to affix the two ends into the cap and the drilled out plug.

The operation is to screw in the drilled plug contraption into the transmission , stick a full bottle onto the modified lid, punch a hole into the bottom of the oil bottle (while it is inverted) and put air pressure to it with an air chuck. The oil blows into the tranny in less than 10 seconds. Repeat with additional bottles until it drains back from the stand pipe. Start engine, finish with about another bottle. Remove fill tool and install drain plug. It usually take us about 5-10 minutes to fill the DSG tranny with our redneck tool.

I'm WAY to impatient to wait for oil to drip into the filter housing.

As an alternative, I've thought of using a 1 gallon pump-up weed sprayer bottle with the altered DSG plug installed on the end of the spray arm, but what I've got works plenty well with little expense or issue.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2018, 21:18   #5
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

^ Yes, the weed sprayer bottle is what I used. You don't even need any special adapter, since the tube is thin enough to simply shove up through the plastic snorkel. I think it takes about a minute per liter. Not bad.

Edit: I used 5/16" outside diameter tubing, with 3/16" inside diameter. Fits perfectly up through the snorkel.

Last edited by Mike_04GolfTDI; August 31st, 2018 at 12:42.
Mike_04GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2018, 12:10   #6
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

I started the top fill last month on mine, slowest process you could imagine. Worse than trying to fill an engine up through the dipstick tube. I went out and bought a $10 weed sprayer after the 2nd liter, like rest of the guys here have done.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 05:20   #7
Dominicdx

Fuel Economy: 40-45mpg 600-630 mi.

Do you have pictures
Dominicdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 05:21   #8
Dominicdx

Fuel Economy: 40-45mpg 600-630 mi.
Default Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post
Gravity fill? NO WAY. I have to charge by the clock and people would hate me... and there is no way to drain except by gravity, pull the plug and the stand pipe with an 8mm allen socket.

There is an easy tool we copied. I can't tell you who we copied, but we appreciate SIMPLE. We bought a fill plug for the DSG, drilled a hole into it to install a brass union nipple, about 3/8". We split the union and installed the other half into a cap from one of the DSG oil bottles I think we stiffened up the union connection with a piece of hard plastic, fit inside the lid. We used the ever famous, good for too many things to not own some, JB Weld, to affix the two ends into the cap and the drilled out plug.

The operation is to screw in the drilled plug contraption into the transmission , stick a full bottle onto the modified lid, punch a hole into the bottom of the oil bottle (while it is inverted) and put air pressure to it with an air chuck. The oil blows into the tranny in less than 10 seconds. Repeat with additional bottles until it drains back from the stand pipe. Start engine, finish with about another bottle. Remove fill tool and install drain plug. It usually take us about 5-10 minutes to fill the DSG tranny with our redneck tool.

I'm WAY to impatient to wait for oil to drip into the filter housing.

As an alternative, I've thought of using a 1 gallon pump-up weed sprayer bottle with the altered DSG plug installed on the end of the spray arm, but what I've got works plenty well with little expense or issue.

Do you have pictures
Dominicdx is offline   Reply With Quote