trunk lid closing to soon

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
HI All,

I have a 2001 TDI that has a trunk problem. I pull the switch in the door for it to unlock the trunk, it unlocks but after 3 seconds it locks again is this normal? I have gotten fast enough that I can make it in time to pull the hatch up, but most others cant get it to work. is there any way to fix this? in other words make it have a longer delay?

thank you,
GlowBugTDI

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
There are bump stops you can adjust to fix that. Look at both sides of the hatch and find a screw through a rubber bumper. Loosen the screw and pull the bumper downward and retighten the screw. Problem solved. If you pull it too far down, it may not want to latch, so find the sweet spot.

A few are so worn out, we have had to replace the bumper.

It's a mechanic's trick that makes 'em look good without doing much.

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 NB
If the hatch isn't popping up far enough to keep it from relocking, the springs next to the part of the latch on the body may be broken. This was the case on mine. A little trim disassembly around that area will gain you access, and I recall having to get a little creative to fix it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Okay thanks, I'll have to try that. I tried doing what Frank 06 mentioned and mine doesn't seem to have the rubber bump stops with the screw. They have rubber bump stops about a foot and a half away from the hatch but no screws. I do know one of the springs on the main body is somewhat broken so that is probably the problem. Thanks again