04 BEW White Smoke Raw Fuel

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I think one of my injectors are leaking. After the car has sat for 2-3 hours or more, I have excessive white smoke on start up. It clears up within a minute or so of driving. My engine also seems to have a tapping noise when listening to the exhaust, and whenever I hear the tap, a white puff of smoke comes out. Once the car warms, white smoke disappears & I have great power & fuel economy. I tried diesel purge, no benefit. I might try it again and take the car for a rip on the purge rather then just idle/ revving.

I assume one of my PD150 injectors is leaking, when the engine is cold the fuel cannot combust. Engine warms, burns that extra fuel more efficiently and white smoke clears. Or maybe cat works and deals with the smoke? Im worried of washing the walls of the cylinder with diesel fuel. I really don't want to get these injectors pulled and sent away for testing. Any ideas? Also I should ad the exhaust tone of my TDI sounds much deeper then normal, almost like the MAF is unplugged ( brand new MAF installed 2 months ago)

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Maybe the lower o-ring on one of the injectors is leaking?

When you installed the injectors did you use new seals?

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Maybe the lower o-ring on one of the injectors is leaking?

When you installed the injectors did you use new seals?

Injectors where installed with new orings about 60,000 km ago when I rebuilt the cylinder head after timing belt broke premature , injectors have about 200k on them

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I really don't want to get these injectors pulled and sent away for testing. Any ideas?
Pull them and send them out to be tested.
You're playing a dangerous game if one of your injectors is leaking. Could lead to a very $$$ repair...

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Pull them and send them out to be tested.
You're playing a dangerous game if one of your injectors is leaking. Could lead to a very $$$ repair...

Problem may be fixed, after doing some hard runs to abs from work all week, I’m no longer getting white smoke on start ups but still have a slight stumble at idle. I’m thinking of running another can of diesel purge through the injectors or maybe seafoam

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Bringing my old thread back to life.

I'm still having the raw fuel white smoke issue. I pulled the valve cover to find my camshaft wearing badly. I just installed a stage 2 with new Ina lifters. I'm having the exact same problem as before, hard starts when sitting for over a few hours and white smoke until engine warms.

I'm thinking it might be my injector harness, I have a spare and it tests ok for resistance with volt meter. Does anyone have any other ideas? Could this be a tandem pump issue?

Injector values look good on vcds.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The next thing I would try is a compression test.

If you get poor combustion when the engine is cold, maybe it has poor compression.

The ticking could even be a broken piston ring or something, which a compression test should reveal.

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
The next thing I would try is a compression test.

If you get poor combustion when the engine is cold, maybe it has poor compression.

The ticking could even be a broken piston ring or something, which a compression test should reveal.

I do have great power and I'm not burning any oil which leads me to think it's not a compression issue, but I could be wrong ? It seems to me it's more like an injector issue.

But I am curious to see what a compression test would reveal.

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Update

I changed injector looms and bent the tabs on the connector slightly to make better contact. I have no change in symptoms whatsoever. Still hard to start, still puffing white smoke

Jwcollins79

TDI
05 Gls TDI
Same problem here! Started about a week ago. After car sat for an hour or two it would start but with bad “misfire” feel. But ran great with good power after warming up. Then two nights after stopping by a friends house it wouldn’t start at all. Just cranks over. Now I need to also add that I too started getting puffs of white clouds accompanied by strong diesel smell. Once even through my ac vents. And car has slight chatter... almost like a lifter tick? Seems to get louder with different types of different fuels I run. (Usually a BP bio blend) I absolutely love this car. Please Help!!! 2005 Passat 2.0 TDI. AT with 149k miles.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I was having a low power issue with lots of smoke. I found that my egr valve was stuck open, the butterfly in the egr cooler was stuck open and very badly coked with carbon, this also had my butterflies in the intake manifold stuck closed. I r&r the egr and cooler, removed butterflies on intake completely and cleaned the manifold. I also vented my ccv by to atmosphere. Those steps stopped my car from pouring smoke. It smelled horrible and would choke out anyone around.