Do you have to push your hood closed?

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I find that the shock that holds the hood open applies too much force to let the hood be dropped and latch correctly. I have to push my hood closed and would prefer not to.

The owner's manual states that you should be able to lower the hood a few inches above the latch and drop it. Is anyone able to do this?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Give it a few years those shocks will weaken and won't be able to hold the hood at all!

Just wait for it to happen to your trunk lid as well.

I usually just lower till the safty latch grasps it, then give it a kinda shove to lock it down.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It makes me cringe every time I hear someone drop their hood from half way. I don't see the need.

That's how stuff gets broken.

I always set my hood into the secondary latch, then using my finger tips (so as not to dent the hood with my palm) I press the hood into the primary latch.

Then I will grab under the edge of the hood and ttry to pull it back up a couple of times. If it is properly latched, it will not budge.

I have never had a hood come flying up on me doing it this way, I have never had a broken hood latch, and I have never had a dented hood.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Good to know that others are doing it. I guess I just always thought it was "car law" to let the hood drop from a few inches and was always able to do it with other cars.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
do you always wing the car door shut, thinking it'll close tighter the hard you pull?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Most cars have little screw bumpers at the fwd corners of hood. Screw them down slightly and hood should latch from a six inch drop. Screw down too much and hood will wiggle when latched.

Not the same as winging doors shut!!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Each car is a little different and each car changes as it ages, but there should be an easily found distance that the hood will reliable latch when dropped from that distance.

It is so ingrained that most of us give it no thought at all.

OP, investigate the possibility that the hinges may be binding or that you have a damaged/incorrect shock.

Bill

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
I'm with fixmy.. I set it into the secondary latch and gently press until it latches. I also never slam doors on any of my vehicles nor friends vehicles. Newer models don't need it. My 2003 GM was arranged as such that I just let go of the door and it would close on its own. Same with trunks. Finger tips on the bottom edge of the glass. If the car has a spoiler, I never touch it while closing the trunk or otherwise. I had a friend who would slam his corvette hood (and doors) in the winter. Made me sick.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Well I definitely cannot drop it from any height for it to latch without applying more force. Either I can push the hood closed from a few inches or I can lower it gently and push it closed. It sounds like the shocks for my hood are stronger than others.