www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old February 16th, 2019, 16:33   #1
benmarks
Veteran Member
Default Auto-dimming Mirror Troubleshooting

I recently added a new windshield and connected the rain sensor and auto-dimming mirror to my MK4 Jetta. The rain-sensing wipers work great, but the mirror does not appear to dim. I double-checked all the wiring. The mirror is brand new but it has a slight bronze tint. Does that mean it is bad? I found a thread on another forum that seemed to indicate that was the case, but since it is brand new I am slightly skeptical. Does the mirror only need power, or is it controlled by something else other than its own light sensors?
2004 Jetta TDI: VNT17, PowerPlus 1043 injectors, DieselKen exhaust, VXTuning HID's, Exor wheels, GLI interior, Roadwire leather, Bilstein Sports, 20th/337 brakes, MK5 antenna, illuminated shifter, ColorMFA Euro cluster, Malone stage 4, rain sensing wipers, auto-dimming mirror
benmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 05:59   #2
RexNICO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Yes, the bronze or gold mirror coloring is indicative of a mirror going bad.

Assuming it is an OEM mirror, it should have a 6 pin rectangular connector, with 6 wire on the mirror side & (most likely) only 3 on the car side. It only needs ground and 12 volt, the 3rd wire should be the reverse trigger to defeat function when the car is in reverse.

I may have one if you’re interested.

Thanks
Old February 19th, 2019, 13:37   #3
benmarks
Veteran Member

I ordered a 2nd mirror (new) but it still doesn't work. I guess it must be me. I tested power and ground, and the connector appears to be getting power. I should be able to activate it with a bright LED flashlight, correct? I am testing with the car engine on and in gear and with the lights on. This mod doesn't require anything to be changed in Vag-com does it? My rain sensor does work and I used the OEM wiring harness when I connected everything. I am running out of ideas.
2004 Jetta TDI: VNT17, PowerPlus 1043 injectors, DieselKen exhaust, VXTuning HID's, Exor wheels, GLI interior, Roadwire leather, Bilstein Sports, 20th/337 brakes, MK5 antenna, illuminated shifter, ColorMFA Euro cluster, Malone stage 4, rain sensing wipers, auto-dimming mirror
Old February 19th, 2019, 19:07   #4
RexNICO
Veteran Member

The mirror should activate if you provide a bright light from behind AND block or cover the front sensor. The mirror needs the front (facing) sensor to think it’s night time, while the one you see from the drivers seat sees a brighter light. Make sense!
Old February 19th, 2019, 21:23   #5
benmarks
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's precisely how I was testing. I double-checked the wiring diagram. I get 12 volts on the pin that is the blue/black wire in the following diagram and nothing on the other 2 pins. This is what I am referencing:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=38714&page=10

How "bronze" is "bronze?" I noticed the "new" 2nd mirror was scotch-taped shut when I got it and it has a slight bronze tint too. Is some tint normal?
Old February 19th, 2019, 22:01   #6
benmarks
Veteran Member

Maybe my harness is wrong? I should admit that I am not very good at reading wiring diagrams but I did not modify this. It is how the part shipped to me. Here are two photos. In the first photo, the left-most brown/blue wire is what has 12 volts. In the second photo, that row of wires corresponds to the top row of holes.

Old February 20th, 2019, 01:01   #7
benmarks
Veteran Member

A side note... are there multiple versions of the black auto-dimming mirror? I have 3B0857511H01C. I didn't think so, but in this thread, the photos show a mirror with five wires in the base and mine only has four: https://uk-mkivs.net/topic/184364-mk...-side-mirrors/

I know there was a W8 version with a power button and red lights like the W8 dome light, but since the W8 never came with a black interior, I don't think a black version of that rear view mirror exists.

Before attaching them, I was planning on creating the ultimate power folding heated memory auto-dimming side view mirrors with puddle lights, but I guess I can't if I don't have five wires right?
Old February 20th, 2019, 02:23   #8
benmarks
Veteran Member

Actually, maybe there are two mirrors. I have 3B0857511H01C which has 4 wires but after an hour of searching, I just found a second part number 3B0857511C01C. This doesn't show up on the following site if you search via car model, you have to know the exact part number to find it, which I found elsewhere. The 2nd photo here shows what I am describing: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...3b0857511c01c/

If you look very closely at the 2nd photo, it looks like there are two wires (for a total of 5) where on mine there is only one (for a total of 4 [I made sure to verify the orientation based on the patterns in the plastic connector.])
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:21   #9
RexNICO
Veteran Member

In my exp, any gold or bronze coloring meant the mirror had no value.

As for the different part numbers, it could be a few different reasons, as the black mirror came with and without the downward lights is the first that comes to mind. I'm 99% sure there was one with the downward lights.

In my exp of disassembling multiple VW/Audi auto-dim mirrors for different conversions, I never came across any with different power needs. To test them, I built a little 12v power supply using camping lantern batteries.

As for the mirror side of the connection, I've almost always seen 5 or 6 wires, which run to the PC board inside the mirror. So, I don't think the # of wires on the mirror side matter much.

Do you know if your rain mount uses the larger diameter ball or the smaller?
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:35   #10
RexNICO
Veteran Member

Found these notes as well
Car side connector Pin #1 and Pin #2
Pin #1 is a black wire with a blue stripe (power), and Pin #2 is a brown wire (ground).

Mirror connector Pin’s #1 and #2.
Pin #1 is power (white wire) and Pin #2 is ground (black wire)
Old February 20th, 2019, 10:42   #11
benmarks
Veteran Member

That pin info was super helpful. It was also helpful that I accidentally purchased two harnesses last year when I originally planned to do this. I just looked at the connector on the other harness since the numbers were too small to read off of the one dangling in my car, and it looks like pins 1 and 3 are reversed in the one in my car. The wire in pin 3 was providing 12 volts. I practiced on my extra harness, but I haven't tried swapping the wires in the car yet.

As far as mirrors go, I have found out a few things. There was a "J" version that came with down-firing red lights and a power button but from what I understand, it never came in black because it was primarily a part in the W8 (similar to the W8 dome light.) There may have been another version that had a power button and did come I black, but it is an oval shape, didn't have down-firing lights and appears to have only come in some Polos. The ones I had been using while testing in this thread were the "H" revision. I just purchased a "C" revision for testing too, not because I thought my two H's were broken but because the C would be preferable to the H due to the of the number of wires in the mirror side of things. The H only has four wires, which means I cannot use it to hook up auto-dimming sideview mirrors. The C has five wires which is what is needed to connect the sideview mirrors. There were other revisions too, but these all seem to be the most common ones. Most people would probably be fine with the four wire version, but I want the auto-dimming Audi glass. I have yet to find a black mirror for the round rain sensor/mount with down-firing lights. I do see them for the rectangular rain sensor. If there is a black one with down-firing likes for my application, I would be curious to know the part number. I tried looking for one a few days ago and could not find one that would work with the round rain sensor/mount.

I didn't know about different rain sensor diameters, so I am not sure what I have. The one I have seems to fit perfectly in the round mirror mount (I replaced my windshield to complete this mod.) What is the difference between the two, other than diameter?
Old February 20th, 2019, 16:14   #12
benmarks
Veteran Member

Oh thanks goodness, IT WORKS! It ended up being that the OEM harness had pins 1 and 3 swapped. Having an old used 2nd harness helped because I could figure out how to disassemble the connector without breaking it. Thanks to all for the help!
Old February 20th, 2019, 18:59   #13
RexNICO
Veteran Member

My diameter question was on the ball/socket side, not the rain sensor side. Where it swivels in the back of the mirror body.
Old February 20th, 2019, 20:12   #14
benmarks
Veteran Member

Ah ok. Now that I have everything working, I think I might actually order a grey W8 mirror and paint it black so that I can have both the power override button and the down-firing LED's. I bought a cheap dome light on which to practice and to see if I can find the right paint. However, I can't seem to determine from photos whether the W8 mirror version has the 5 wires in its connector needed to support auto-dimming sideview mirrors. Does anyone happen to know?
Old February 20th, 2019, 22:10   #15
benmarks
Veteran Member

Never mind, I found the answer where I should have been looking all along: http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/w8/w8.html

After reading this, I don't think I want this after all.