www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old January 11th, 2019, 11:25   #16
JettaTDIBlack
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.88mpg/City Not tested, yet/Highway

Is there an aftermarket sharkfin antenna that will do HD/Radio, GPS, and etc;, on an aftermarket antenna? I don't care if I have to run new wiring. I understand that for Satellite Radio, the extra module you purchase probably comes with an antenna of it's own.

dubrs.com
JettaTDIBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 19:01   #17
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a tank, worse than a cyclist.

Our cars don't like shark fin, I've tried a few, including OEM MK5/6, made my own adapters, reception isn't the greatest. Let me know how that booster works out.-I respectfully disagree. I bought an aftermarket shark fin for my MK4 wagon and it works fine. Though FM is ALL TALK/commercials now days, I mostly use Pandora.
VincenzaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 19:36   #18
JettaTDIBlack
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzaV View Post
Our cars don't like shark fin, I've tried a few, including OEM MK5/6, made my own adapters, reception isn't the greatest. Let me know how that booster works out.-I respectfully disagree. I bought an aftermarket shark fin for my MK4 wagon and it works fine. Though FM is ALL TALK/commercials now days, I mostly use Pandora.
Well, my factory antenna is garbage. I can barely get a signal on stations that I get fine 100 miles away in other cars that I have owned.

dubrs.com
Old January 17th, 2019, 20:07   #19
romad
Veteran Member

I went with an OEM for my wagon. This thread covers the various VW antennae

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ighlight=FAKRA

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 14:31   #20
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaTDIBlack View Post
Well, my factory antenna is garbage. I can barely get a signal on stations that I get fine 100 miles away in other cars that I have owned.

dubrs.com
it's probably got the typical corrosion that happens to it. I replaced my with a new one and radio reception went back to perfect.
ToxicDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2019, 17:20   #21
JettaTDIBlack
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicDoc View Post
it's probably got the typical corrosion that happens to it. I replaced my with a new one and radio reception went back to perfect.
If I am going to replace it, I'd rather do it with a low profile one. Not the factory one that looks like it was made for an older cell phone setup.

dubrs.com
Old January 28th, 2019, 10:58   #22
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Complain about crap reception, then express desire to install smaller antenna for aesthetics. No cheating physics - antenna needs to be a minimum length to catch the wave length of the radio signal, reliably enough for good audio.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 13:15   #23
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Complain about crap reception, then express desire to install smaller antenna for aesthetics. No cheating physics - antenna needs to be a minimum length to catch the wave length of the radio signal, reliably enough for good audio.

Jason

That is why I just put a vinyl cap on the mast stud since I don't listen to AM/FM radio anymore. However, I do carry masts in the back "just in case".

The fleet:

Last edited by romad; January 28th, 2019 at 13:17.
Old January 30th, 2019, 14:00   #24
JettaTDIBlack
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post

Jason
I've had low profile antennae in other cars that caught signals 100+ miles away. The factory antenna cannot even catch a signal that is 25 to 30 miles away.

dubrs.com
Old January 30th, 2019, 14:23   #25
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've had low profile antennae in other cars that caught signals 100+ miles away. The factory antenna cannot even catch a signal that is 25 to 30 miles away.

dubrs.com

It depends on where an RF amplifier is located. VW seems to have placed it in an antenna base with a short mast where it is subject to corrosion; other systems use an amplifier circuit in the radio receiver itself and just rely on a plain 1/4th wavelength mast antenna. BTW, when the amp is in the antenna base, it needs to be powered; if the power supplied by the receiver is interrupted, no amplification.

Edit. The old standard whip car antenna was about 2.5 feet or 30 inches long. This is roughly the length for the middle of the US FM band (98 MHz) which has a wavelength of 10 feet (120 inches). Dividing the former into the latter tells us the whip mast is 1/4 of the FM band center wavelength. In metric terms they are 76cm and 300cm lengths respectively. The kicker is for the AM band the center wavelength is approximately 100 times longer! Thus the whip is only about 1/368 wavelength for the AM band.

The fleet:

Last edited by romad; January 31st, 2019 at 11:19.
Old January 31st, 2019, 10:16   #26
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

My understanding is VW also uses an antenna whip with a resistor pellet and tuned wire loop wrapped around the whip.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2019, 20:05   #27
benmarks
Veteran Member

I have a Jetta MK5 antenna base (5N0035501B) on my Jetta MK4 and it works great for everything my head unit supports: AM/FM, SiriusXM and GPS. I don't use the 4th "GSM" wire. With that said, I don't have a stock head unit. I have an Alpine CarPlay head unit and I ran individual wires from it to the antenna base for SiriusXM and GPS. I got the individual long antenna wires from ECS and they were plug and play with my Alpine, no adapters necessary. And, my AM/FM reception is good even with a stubby Sharan-style billet antenna from cravenspeed.com made locally in Portland, Oregon Our TV and radio towers here in town are way up high in the west hills, so that may help as well with reception. However, I didn't notice any difference when I was using the OEM antenna either.

2004 Jetta TDI: VNT17, PowerPlus 1043 injectors, DieselKen exhaust, VXTuning HID's, Exor wheels, GLI interior, Roadwire leather, Bilstein Sports, 20th/337 brakes, MK5 antenna, illuminated shifter, ColorMFA Euro cluster, Malone stage 4, rain sensing wipers, auto-dimming mirror
benmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 06:11   #28
JettaTDIBlack
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmarks View Post
I have a Jetta MK5 antenna base (5N0035501B) on my Jetta MK4 and it works great for everything my head unit supports: AM/FM, SiriusXM and GPS. I don't use the 4th "GSM" wire. With that said, I don't have a stock head unit. I have an Alpine CarPlay head unit and I ran individual wires from it to the antenna base for SiriusXM and GPS. I got the individual long antenna wires from ECS and they were plug and play with my Alpine, no adapters necessary. And, my AM/FM reception is good even with a stubby Sharan-style billet antenna from cravenspeed.com made locally in Portland, Oregon Our TV and radio towers here in town are way up high in the west hills, so that may help as well with reception. However, I didn't notice any difference when I was using the OEM antenna either.

Do you have a link to the ECS wiring?

dubrs.com
Old February 12th, 2019, 10:47   #29
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmarks View Post

Looks like the antenna I used several years ago except it is AM/FM/Sat radio. The original P/N 1K0 035 501 C is discontinued, replaced by 5N0 035 501 A.

Your Jetta is a sedan, correct? Then you don't have the problem of the rear hatch of the wagon hitting the mast as I did.

The fleet:
Old February 12th, 2019, 11:07   #30
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Do you have a link to the ECS wiring?

dubrs.com

If that doesn't pan out, here is a list of VW part numbers for various lengths of FAKRA to FAKRA cables and adapters. For my Jetta Wagon, I ordered the 700 cm FAKRA/FAKRA cable and the FAKRA (M) to SMB cable.

http://www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/kabel/antennen.htm (in German)

And translated into English: https://tinyurl.com/y2c7bbf7

The fleet: