1st gen Tacoma ALH

CanadianCoast

TDI
2003 jetta wagon
Adapter

Hello,

I am just starting to toss the idea around of a ALH swap on my 2000 regular cab 5 speed 4x4

it seems that using the TD conversion adapter gets rid of other fitment issues,(engine being to close to fire wall) I'm just kinda turned off by the huge price difference of other adapter plates TDC - $1125USD and then ACME $595USD and the acme comes with a Flywheel too

seems like an insane price difference?

not to mention I would like to save as much money doing the conversion as i want to solid swap the truck eventually as well

are you planning any engine upgrades to deal with the weight difference of the jetta vs tacoma?

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
Honestly, if $500-600 is too much difference in price, you shouldnt do the swap. Its going to cost thousands in the end, and having the engine and trans lined up well is worth it to me.

I have the engine upgraded with dlc1019 injectors and a malone stage 3 tune. I set everything up that I can easily swap to a vnt17 if I need more power.

Golf2K

TDI
2000 Golf
Someone told me the engine would be too small for a Tacoma swap because the 1.9 is designed for a burst power and not sustained. What do you think? Other options are Chevy Cruz diesel which is 185lbs torque stock, Cummins R2.8 crate engine ($10k) or 3.0 Toyota diesel from overseas.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I think that if you ran a 1.9 with a hot tune with a fully loaded up tacoma and a trailer behind it, with no egt monitoring with your foot to the floor, you would hurt the truck.

Having put about 300k miles on 1.9 TDIs in various other cars, towing way more than I should, I am confident that light truck use is totally fine for these engines as long as they have proper cooling and a sensible driver.

No, I do not think the 1.9 tdi tuned up is as bulletproof as the 3rz. I am pretty sure the 3rz could run 100% throttle all the time with 10k pounds behind it, bouncing off the rev limiter and be just fine...but then again, with the extremely low performance of the engine and its relatively large size, it makes sense.

1Tom13

TDI
00 jetta
Have you swapped in the 4.1's yet?

Correct me if I'm wrong but with 32 in tires, the 3.58's should keep you in the power band, and keep the best rpm for cruising with good mpgs (1900-2200?) pretty well at highway speeds in 5th gear

gear ratio 4.1 3.58

RPM@60mph 2150 1900

RPM@65mph 2400 2050

RPM@70mph 2550 2200

and with 3.58 you could tow in 4th at 55mph at right about 2100rpm vs 2400 with the 4.1

Most people seem to use the 4.1's, but from what I can tell, the 3.58's are better for fuel economy, and fine for towing, so I'm curious as to the main benefit of the 4.1s

any MPG figures so far?

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife had a baby in September, so thats about all you need to know about how far I have gotten on this! :D

All joking aside, the 4.10's are in the front, but not the back. The truck is running and driving but not on the road, but its pretty darn close.

I can tell you that with the 3.58 1st gear is very fast and not great for starting out, and I think the 4.10 will help that out.

Most of my driving will be mountain roads at a max of 55mph. I agree that 3.58's could be better for highway, but the 4.10 makes more sense for me I think. I will report back when i have any real world experience. I should update this thread because I have actually made some good progress. (slower now that said baby is here)

1Tom13

TDI
00 jetta
Congratulations!

I've been looking at what it takes to regear a 1st gen, and the rear looks fairly simple, just bolt in a new 3rd member, but what does it take for the front? do you have to put in an entire new diff? or can you just change out the gears somehow?

Just did some research and realized you have the w59f transmission, so your 1st will be a little taller and 5th a little shorter than the R150f (v6 trans) that I had in mind.

Do you have the coolant glow plugs? If so how do they fit against the firewall?
Thanks!!

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
Someone told me the engine would be too small for a Tacoma swap because the 1.9 is designed for a burst power and not sustained. What do you think? Other options are Chevy Cruz diesel which is 185lbs torque stock, Cummins R2.8 crate engine ($10k) or 3.0 Toyota diesel from overseas.
tons of people swap tdis into pickups without issues. The cruze diesel is only a 2.0l which isn't much bigger but it does put down some impressive numbers stock and with only a tune. its 150hp and 264ft-lbs fyi. Im not sure if anyone has swapped it into anything or found a way to get the ecu fully unlocked to run standalone. I daily a 17 cruze diesel with the 1.6td. its a pretty wicked little motor, puts out like 137hp and 240ft-lbs. but no one has cracked the ecu to put out a tune for it. My best tank was 55mpg and have averaged 43mpg the last 60,000km of my daily commute.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
]
Have you swapped in the 4.1's yet?

Correct me if I'm wrong but with 32 in tires, the 3.58's should keep you in the power band, and keep the best rpm for cruising with good mpgs (1900-2200?) pretty well at highway speeds in 5th gear

gear ratio 4.1 3.58

RPM@60mph 2150 1900

RPM@65mph 2400 2050

RPM@70mph 2550 2200

and with 3.58 you could tow in 4th at 55mph at right about 2100rpm vs 2400 with the 4.1

Most people seem to use the 4.1's, but from what I can tell, the 3.58's are better for fuel economy, and fine for towing, so I'm curious as to the main benefit of the 4.1s

any MPG figures so far?
3.59's were terrible in my tacoma with 265 70 17's ...much better with 4.10's....you're assuming low rpms are better for an TDI. It's actually pretty happy buzzing along and my highway cruising rpms are on par with a stock jetta mk4 tdi manual...i have nearly 170k miles on my swap and get 30+ mpg nearly every tank ...

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Congratulations!

I've been looking at what it takes to regear a 1st gen, and the rear looks fairly simple, just bolt in a new 3rd member, but what does it take for the front? do you have to put in an entire new diff? or can you just change out the gears somehow?

Just did some research and realized you have the w59f transmission, so your 1st will be a little taller and 5th a little shorter than the R150f (v6 trans) that I had in mind.

Thanks!!
From what I understand Toyota 8" 3rd members swap front to rear, and vice versa, in gen 1's (straight axle). Also that the cruising range for an ALH in that swap is 2700 to 3000 rpm @70mph. I haven't gotten to the point I can confirm that yet.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Congratulations!

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

A Toyota drivetrain info link, you may have to copy and paste

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I just swapped an entire 4.10 front diff. They can be had pretty cheap. I bought an entire rear axle for $100, but will just swap the third member in. Pretty simple.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Congratulations!

Thanks!!
My ALH came from an auto, which did not have them, so I retrained the auto coolant manifold without them.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Congratulations!

Thanks!!
You could build a small manifold and put them upstream of the heater core.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
From what I understand Toyota 8" 3rd members swap front to rear, and vice versa, in gen 1's (straight axle). Also that the cruising range for an ALH in that swap is 2700 to 3000 rpm @70mph. I haven't gotten to the point I can confirm that yet.
my truck is doing 80 at around 3k rpm... the 1st gen taco 4wd/pre runner, non e locker uses the 8.4 rear diff, same as the first gen tundra and sequoia...my first 4.10 rear drop came from a sequoia, uses studs and a harmonic flange but perfect fit otherwise

I just swapped an entire 4.10 front diff. They can be had pretty cheap. I bought an entire rear axle for $100, but will just swap the third member in. Pretty simple.
yep, this is what i did, mine was from a 3rd gen runner with disconnect, i changed out the passenger axle tube and shaft for my taco non-disconnect ...fyi; first gen tundras and sequoias use the same front diff as the taco and rear diff drop is the same as long as yours is the 8.4 non-e lock

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
some times I'm slick and cheap, sometimes I'm one or the other, and sometimes I have to do it over for twice the cost of doing it sensibly in the first place

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't take credit for the coolant glow plug in the heater hose though, a Matt Whitbread idea for defrosting the windshield

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Read your thread before, but just going by memory here, you did a hybrid with ALH head and ve pump?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
pd170 bv43, pp502, and 11mm ip, with appropriate tune
That's interesting, I have a similar setup waiting in the wings until family matters allow me to make it a priority. Brm intake, bv43, 502's, 11mm pump, but mine is going on an alh block. Seems I remember you do quite a bit of towing with yours. I wonder if egt's on mine will be higher with more compression from the alh pistons?
I want to use Randy's heavy flywheel, but I'm unsure if that will fit in the w56 bellhousing and what clutch I could run with it if it does. The tranny I have is good and tight. 1985 4runner by the way.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I want to use Randy's heavy flywheel, but I'm unsure if that will fit in the w56 bellhousing and what clutch I could run with it if it does. The tranny I have is good and tight. 1985 4runner by the way.
I have randy's heavy flywheel with a 10" v6 centerforce clutch and its inside a bell housing from a 1994 22re truck (is that a w56, i dont know)?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have randy's heavy flywheel with a 10" v6 centerforce clutch and its inside a bell housing from a 1994 22re truck (is that a w56, i dont know)?
Thanks, apparently it could be one of three trans, I think. All I really know about Toyotas is here, http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

I went to look at an adapter someone had and the bolt pattern did not line up with my w56. He had, if I remember correctly a R150, and the adapter pattern fit that trans. That's what's holding me up on the flywheel. That bellhousing was a little bigger.

I do know a Toyota gearhead that probably knows, and at some point I will look him up and ask.

What adaptor are you using?

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
W56 is 4cylinder Toyota and r150f is the V6. The 10" V6 clutch does not work for w56 series tranny I believe but you'll want to double check on google for that

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
W56 is 4cylinder Toyota and r150f is the V6. The 10" V6 clutch does not work for w56 series tranny I believe but you'll want to double check on google for that
I have a feeling that is the way it is.

I got an email update that you asked about coolant hoses on your thread, but the question is not there. Small hose in question would be to your expansion tank

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
it does work if you use randy's heavy flywheel that I suggested he start making. The flywheel has the 4 cylinder crank pattern but fits the v6 clutch (which is larger).

I have the original w59 transmisison that came behind the 3rz with a bell housing from a 22re truck (w56, i believe) and it all works great. This all works with Randy's adapter.