Malone ECU+DSG Tune Reviews......Anyone...

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
I have an 09'Sedan with the DSG transmission and want to get an ECU/ DSG to improve the cars performance. The car is out of warranty and I figure now I can work on improving the performance.

What I hope to get from members is their opinions, feelings and reviews of owners who have used Malone ECU and DSG tunes.

I relay want to get a feel for how the DSG transmission is dealing with the extra power after being tuned.

Jaloosk

TDI
15 Passat Sport TDI
I've been reading about this for the past week or so, and from what I've read, I can't wait to get the $1000 saved to have the DPF 2.0 tune + DSG tune done. I haven't read a single bad review about it.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
agreed...no dsg, but malone stg2 is nasty fun lol...altho i see a new clutch in my future lol

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
I'm getting Stage 1.5 and DSG tune done this friday to my 09 JSW.

Will report my impression then. I'm driving 1.5hr to the tuner so first thing I will be doing with the tune driving 1.5hr back ;)

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Paulinski....I'm looking forward to your feedback. This is the combination of tuning I'm strongly considering as well. Could you let me know whether or not the gear indicator display (D1, D2, D3....S1, S2, S3....) enabled on the DSG trannys after the most recent re-call is changed in any way (ie., location, color, script) after the DSG tune is installed.

mkvme

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I was looking into this too, but whats the diff between 1.5 and 2? I didnt see any info really

mckpat03

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
I was looking into this too, but whats the diff between 1.5 and 2? I didnt see any info really
This is just how I understand it. I may be way off base.

Stage 2 generally means getting rid of certain emissions equipment, which is illegal and isn't to be talked about on here.

Stage 1.5 is generally the highest while still maintaining the DPF/EGR/Cats etc.

However, you can get a stage 2 that maintains all of that equipment, as well.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
This is just how I understand it. I may be way off base.

Stage 2 generally means getting rid of certain emissions equipment, which is illegal and isn't to be talked about on here.

Stage 1.5 is generally the highest while still maintaining the DPF/EGR/Cats etc.

However, you can get a stage 2 that maintains all of that equipment, as well.
Sorry, this is incorrect and people continue to spread it.

Stages 1-2 are all fine with stock emissions equipment, as a precaution, stage 2 isn't given out to those in hot climates while people have emissions equipment installed. I am running Stage 2 with stock exhaust at the moment.

All of those tunes are available with the deletes as well, no difference.

I have Stage 2 on my JSW, I love it, you might think I'm bias because I'm a Malone dealer :) I'll be installing Stage 3 soon :D

I haven't run a DSG tune long term since I've only tuned them(I have a 6spd manual) and customers went away smiling, everyone likes the way they drive better than stock.

Last edited:

mckpat03

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
Sorry, this is incorrect and people continue to spread it.

Stages 1-2 are all fine with stock emissions equipment, as a precaution, stage 2 isn't given out to those in hot climates while people have emissions equipment installed. I am running Stage 2 with stock exhaust at the moment.

All of those tunes are available with the deletes as well, no difference.

I have Stage 2 on my JSW, I love it, you might think I'm bias because I'm a Malone dealer :) I'll be installing Stage 3 soon :D

I haven't run a DSG tune long term since I've only tuned them(I have a 6spd manual) and customers went away smiling, everyone likes the way they drive better than stock.
Like I said, it was in no way fact, and I openly said I may be way off. I wasn't trying to spread bad information. I pretty much covered what you said, just not as completely. And I was just speaking as an average customer. From all the reading to be done, that's just how it seemed. My apologies.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Sorry, it sounds like I jumped on you, its cool, just remember, Emissions deletes are optional for both stages 1 and 2. Stage 3 on the other hand is probably a different story ;)

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
I just had Malone tune 1.5 installed 2 days ago, so far I am impressed with the linear power delivery. I don't think Malone tune 2.0 is recommended without turbo upgrade, and/or bigger nozzles. I did not do any DSG tuning. DSG (at least in my case, was the first year for DSG) manufactured early has limitations on torque it can handle. Yours might be able to handle the higher torque.

Suparag

Last edited:

50R BTR

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
At Midlands BioFuel GTG, installed Malone 1.5 and DSG tune...with stock exhaust. Enjoying it...picked up about 3-4 mpg on big highway (75-80mph) (Columbia, SC -ATL -PCB), in town dropped about the same...cause I can't control my right foot. Excellent pick-up and smooth shifts in town. DSG performs like it should, will stay in gear until you shift, using manual. In regular drive/sport modes the torque comes on really nicely...lots of fun to drive. Checked turbo temps/exhaust/ and DPF function...all working just fine, no excessive temps until regen..gets hot only because it is supposed to. Seeing regen a little more often, but not stocking up soot levels or ash at any greater rate. 9-10ml per 10k miles, not changed a bit from OEM.

Saving the pesos for Rawtek Exhaust, DPF delete, and 2.0/2.5 Malone tune.

Thanks Andrew...this is too good, can't wait for upgrade..:D

bengone1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW GTi 1Z powered. 06 Jetta PD. 01 allroad 6sp
FYI: I am a Malone dealer as well. I have flashed all but one customer stage 2. A couple have seen track days with full emissions equipment and on an extended makeup session one experienced re-gen cycles or possible high EGTs, with that exception both performed flawlessly.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Reviving an old thread maybe, but there still seems to be a lot of interest in a good tune upgrade at least by us recent CPO/post fix owners.

The next and maybe only mod I'm really interested in doing is a tune remap with a few things in mind.

* Switching back to stock (easily/cost effectively and temporarily) is important as I have 2 yrs/unlimited mileage and a lot more emission warrantee I don't want complications with.

* early wear on engine, smog, etc. such as DPF.
does Malone or Kerma (for example) regen better/more efficiently?
mileage and drivability?

750HMF

TDI
2015 Passat comfortline TDI
Malone stage 2 is great, I would recommend them. Plus if down the road you decide to do delete, it's just a quick retune.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Malone stage 2 is great, I would recommend them. Plus if down the road you decide to do delete, it's just a quick retune.

So from what I understand you must buy a programmer (flashzilla) or borrow/pay local shop. Are the tunes a one time?

750HMF

TDI
2015 Passat comfortline TDI
So from what I understand you must buy a programmer (flashzilla) or borrow/pay local shop. Are the tunes a one time?
I went with the flashzilla so I could go back to stock any time I wanted to.