Malone Stage 1.5 tune. What to do to prep?

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have a stock 06 Jetta TDI with 190k miles on the clock. The car has the original cam and turbo to my knowledge. I replaced the glow plugs a year or two back and have recently ran into cold start issues which prompted me to read the glow plugs wiki and identify the new steel tips as the likely issue. So now I'm tempted to get a tune to not only solve that problem but have some added enjoyment out of driving the car.

I understand I would be sending the PCM to my car off. Is it easy to get to? Is there anything I should do to 'prep' for the tune or is it a literal plug and play performance option? Is there any additional risk doing this with a high mileage car?

Another big question- how long does it normally take to get my PCM back if I choose to send it off?

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
1. Contact Malone Tuning to get their responses to these questions.

2. You don't need need to remove the PCM/ECU, but you will need to purchase or rent a Flashzilla to upload from your computer, or visit a local Malone dealer to do this for you.

3. No special prep is required, other than to make sure your car is in good running condition to begin with.

4. If you are planning to change the type of glowplug, this is something you will also need to discuss with Malone, as this may require installing a new glowplug module to match the type of glowplug you intend to use.