MN Chat Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Malone and RC modify the ECM programming based on injectors and turbo. A tuning box typically messes with the signal at the injection pump to give you more fuel. I personally really like RC3.
Not to have two conversations going at once but... ok so it's kinda like a fancy evry mod, cool!

Also I know it's probably been discussed like a thousand times on the forum but since you mentioned it, how many mpg are you getting with a RC3? and would i need to upgrade my clutch? I was thinking i'd doing a stage malone or RC stage 2, because I know someone in the area with a few TDI's and he said you only lose 2-3 mpg with a malone stage 2, and the power increase is really nice. sooo, I was thinking that would make my bug ride a bit nicer, faster 0-60, and better for pulling a trailer while still giving me good mpg LOL.
Thanks.

Last edited:

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I think I'm running an RC1plus, and my clutch couldn't handle it, but mine is an '02 and had the weaker clutch. One caveat I have is that I enjoyed the fifth gear pull so much I toasted the synchros in 5th. So I'd advise against hitting resume at 20, when the speed was originally set for 75. At least repeatedly.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I'm running an RC1plus, and my clutch couldn't handle it, but mine is an '02 and had the weaker clutch. One caveat I have is that I enjoyed the fifth gear pull so much I toasted the synchros in 5th. So I'd advise against hitting resume at 20, when the speed was originally set for 75. At least repeatedly.
I'm sorry but I don't quite know what you mean by this.
"So I'd advise against hitting resume at 20, when the speed was originally set for 75. At least repeatedly" Are you talking about cruise control?

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
With a stick shift, you can leave it in fifth, and while the cruise control is on, hit the resume speed button. The rush of torque from 20MPH to 75MPH is pretty addictive, but bad for transmission. :)

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
oh ok, I haven't used that before, but good to know thanks. I would like to get a tune at some point i just don't really want to change my clutch at least not now (i don't trust my mechanic skills enough to tear apart my drive system especially with limited space).
Thanks for the feedback!

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD: 2003 Golf GLS TDI - Black
18” R32 Aristo wheels for sale - Stillwater $400

Hi everyone, figured I’d throw this out there for the local MN TDI crowd. I have a nice set of wheels from a MK4 R32 / GTI 20th Anniv that need a new home. I sold my TDI and the wheels were not included in the deal. $400 for club members, $500 for everyone else on CL. No tires, just the wheels. PM me if you’re interested. They are in very nice shape. Small amount of curb rash on one wheel (from R32 owner) but it is hardly noticeable and they look awesome.
This forum has been a fantastic part of the TDI ownership experience so I’d like to extend a sincere thank you to those of you that have contributed helpful information to myself or others. Especially some of the “old timers” like Glen (MOGolf), Mark, GeWilli, DBW, etc. THANK YOU.

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
ok - snow... you got me.

I know there has been plenty of complaining about Continentals and now I know why - terrible with even a little dusting. I used to run Nokian on the '02 and liked them - but I hear the new generation Nokian WRG4 are outstanding. Any one running on these year round? I'm reading online some pretty good reviews - but I tend to trust this group's opinion.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I ran Nokians several years ago but they were pretty expensive. So I've switched to Blizzaks and haven't been stuck yet. But I will say that I'm pretty cautious on glare ice.

I only run them November through April.

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I just can't stand Blizzaks on dry pavement - even for a minute - like driving on marshmallows. The old WRs were pretty good - and like you said $$$, but I didn't need to swap them with snows and I got 45-50K out of them without a hit to mpg. Unless someone has bought the WRG4s and hated them - I think I'll give them a try. if they suck you will see them shortly on CL in Rochester - ha, ha...

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Umm maybe it's not any of my busyness, but just curious what exactly does the tuning box do? Does it make a difference over the stock motor power/milage wise? Is this kinda like a chip tune like Malone or RC? Sorry for all the questions, but I was thinking about maybe getting a Malone stage2, but I am wondering how this compares, and what exactly it does.
Thank you,
GlowBugTDI
It doesn't compare to a good reflash - but it does seem to pull a little harder and some have claimed that if set right it will increase mpg... don't know about that. BUT it sure feels like it's added a few hp. Not 100% sure - but I think it fools the car into thinking it isn't getting enough fuel and just dumps in more - thus the smoke... I'll defer to Curious Chris on this

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
It doesn't compare to a good reflash - but it does seem to pull a little harder and some have claimed that if set right it will increase mpg... don't know about that. BUT it sure feels like it's added a few hp. Not 100% sure - but I think it fools the car into thinking it isn't getting enough fuel and just dumps in more - thus the smoke... I'll defer to Curious Chris on this
RC3 is a very nice tune for a stock car. 18 psi boost with PP520's is a nice combo. Of course RC4 with VNT 17-22 and big FMIC is a riot to drive.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
check your freeze protection, coolant will freeze in the radiator and then you'll overheat from no flow through the radiator
it freezes early if it is mixed both too thick or too thin, so make sure to use an actual coolant tester

Checked the coolant: -22F. The issue has a pattern. The engine warms up quickly and it stays stuck at the mythical 190 for quite a while. But if you drive it long enough: Mpls to Rosedale, no problem, almost made it back and the temperature pegged.

Changed thermostat yesterday. More testing tonight

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RC3 is a very nice tune for a stock car. 18 psi boost with PP520's is a nice combo. Of course RC4 with VNT 17-22 and big FMIC is a riot to drive.
That sounds like fun! I know this probably isn't the right thread to ask this question but since we're already on the topic. Do you know about how much the first set up makes your MPG drop? I am getting new injectors this spring so if I'm going to make any changes that will be the time to do it.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No drop in mileage. But with 18 psi boost and PP520's you will need to replace your clutch. When I first got my car (2002) I got an Upsolute tune. Then I added PP520's and I got clutch slip in 5th gear. So I put in a Performance clutch. Then a couple years later I went with RC1, then RC2, then RC3; about 100,000 lunched stock turbo. Then VNT 17-22 and RC 4 + another clutch now a steel flywheel with South Bend Endurance stage 2; and at after about 100,000 miles (300,000 on engine) I put a rod through the side of the block.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
That sounds like fun! I know this probably isn't the right thread to ask this question but since we're already on the topic. Do you know about how much the first set up makes your MPG drop? I am getting new injectors this spring so if I'm going to make any changes that will be the time to do it.
going from stock to big injectors and big compound turbos (and a poorly set up DIY remap) I gained a few MPG along with a lot of speed

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
ok - snow... you got me.

I know there has been plenty of complaining about Continentals and now I know why - terrible with even a little dusting. I used to run Nokian on the '02 and liked them - but I hear the new generation Nokian WRG4 are outstanding. Any one running on these year round? I'm reading online some pretty good reviews - but I tend to trust this group's opinion.
I bought my jetta totaled (front end was demolished), and the tires on it were Continentals... I've since switched to some decent summer tires and Hankook iPikes in winter.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The Blizzaks got me to Lakeville, Inver Grove Heights, Hastings, Prescott, and Woodbury this morning, before my dispatcher said, "Go home, we'll talk to you tomorrow." And they helped me get into my driveway, though it was close thing.

Six inches of snow is about my limit.

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
Currently there is an add on Minneapolis.Craigslist.org for a Red 2003 VW Beetle TDI.
Ad does not list VIN and I have not been able to get the VIN from the individual.
Warning, I believe that is my old TDI that was totaled last summer after hitting a deer.
If you checkout the vehicle and the VIN is 3VXCP21C43M416161 be careful.

BorderBadger

TDI
‘12 Golf
Anyone here in MN have a tuner. I’d love to try and see what kind of difference it makes before I spend the $$$ to get one.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am at Fleet Farm in Oakdale, and they have Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 for $19.99/gallon ending today. Also, I was not aware of a $10 rebate, but there is one. Actually, there are two signs, one says that it ends today, the other says it ends March 9. But buying today means a gallon only cost $9.99. I already have plenty but I can’t pass up this bargain so I’m getting another case.

Edit: the FF website says the sale price is good through March 9th. Regular price $24.99, sale price $19.99. Limit 5 gallons per household.

https://apfco.com/secured/R10083W

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Mobil rebate just started March 1st, which explains why I had not heard of it before.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
I am looking for 20 A4 lug bolts. I live in north metro
FYI - Every time I have been to the uPullParts they have had plenty of vw lug bolts. Don't remember the exact price but I know I thought they were reasonable enough that I picked a bunch up. I go to the Rosemount one because it's closer for me but would expect the one up north would have plenty as well.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
just saw a tan allroad diesel swap driving around in st. anthony
old body style allroad, manual trans, suspension looked to be in the "tall" position

Anyone know whose it is? Didn't know of one in the area on the forums at least.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
I have a bunch of extra lug bolts if you're still looking for them. I live in Oakdale.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
any know if a set of S4 rims will sneak under the fenders of a '15 sportwagen? 255/35ZR19 - and will I be able to use the lugs I already have?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jeff Forss, "The Alignment Guy," has a new shop in Hopkins at 632 11th Ave S.

When I had a tricky problem a few years ago which no one could fix, he found it.

He is a bit of a curmudgeon and does not really like people. He doesn't answer his phone, which is *(952) 888-0800‬, and he doesn't respond to voice mails. But if you need his help with an alignment issue his email address is jeff@thealignmentguy.com

Edit: he has a website: http://www.thealignmentguy.com

Last edited: