ESP button option

bengone1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW GTi 1Z powered. 06 Jetta PD. 01 allroad 6sp
I installed an ESP button in a North American 2013 Passat. From everything I could find the European OEM ESP button does not fit properly. I sourced this one from Amazon and it fit the customer's requirements of being low key. Drill an applicable size hole and glue it in from the back (I used black RTV). This particular switch fit like a glove in the recess of the blank. All the switch does is provide a momentary 12v signal to the ABS module. See link to APR's site for coding changes that allow you to have the two step ASR/ESP function. I will try to take pics of the process on the next install.

http://www.goapr.com/support/esp-defeat.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TX3Q5O/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Clean install... Looks like the owner previously altered the plastic to fit a the aftermarket button.

bengone1

TDI
I bought a spare blank, drilled it out and mounted the button before the appt to speed install

Last edited:

jeproks

TDI
NMS Passat SE TDI
This is the one I got from Bold Sport. Needs modification to fit.

bengone1

TDI
That doesn't look too bad. What is keeping it from seating fully?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The rotation of the Bold Sport switch is incorrect for the hole in the console's trim. You have to Dremel out the hole to make the switch line up correctly. You can see that the rotation of the letters on the switch aren't quite correct when mounted in the North American Passat.

Very nice install with the stealth little black button, Ben!

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
hmm,, i wonder if splicing the momentary 12v wire from the tpms button in the glove box to the abs plug will work? I think so since you have to hold it while in park for it to reset the tpms itself. super stealth

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I may be wrong but I think you can adjust the ESP setting with a VCDS. I think there are three settings to chose from.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I know you can on the mk7,

"TCS off" "TCS Sport", and "ESC OFF", first push is one hold it for 5 seconds for the second.

Stock it's the first two, you can code it for just the second two which is pretty darn fun with ESC OFF, full 4 wheel drifting/power slides are possible.