Electrical **** Show

F215

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
Posted this over on VW Vortex. My 2006 Jetta TDI must be a vehicular hydra. I fix one electrical issue and three more appear. Using VAG scan tool for codes and such. Replaced the CCM and a few fuses. No comms with previous CCM, but now door locks and both front windows work. Rear motors are likely fried. Getting all kinds of intermittent faults. Ignition switch doesn't register key removal, so I have to lock the car manually. Three doors lock when I do this, except left rear, and - get this - the fuel door opens. Neither the fuel door nor the trunk open via the main door switch, of course. The TPMS light came on, so I inflated the tires to 36 psi and tried to do the manual reset (parking brake on, ignition ON (not RUN), hold down Stability Control, wait for chime) and I got all kinds of rapid ticking, gauges flickering, stereo won't turn on, and car won't start. ***. Waited 40 min, unhooked the battery, etc. and nothing has changed. Oh, and the passenger air bag check light (gauge cluster) won't turn on during initial startup (the one center dash works). I'm about to light this POS on fire.

Used the manual relearn recommended here: https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/article/volkswagen-jetta-2006-2019/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Couple things to check:

Start at the battery, and work out, checking the grounds. Get the manual, it will list ALL the grounds, pay special attention to the ones at the base of the A-pillar door hinge area (under the hood release cover) and I think there is one on the brace under the instrument panel.

Pull the underhood fuse box up, and check for any bad connections, corrosion, etc. underneath it. One bolt in the center (you will have to remove the main power wires on the front first).

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Welcome to TDIclub. I was going to mention checking grounds, but oilhammer beat me to it. Most weird intermittent electrical problems are caused by loose or dirty ground connections.

However, judging by your thread title, I should warn you. This is not VWVortex. Please read the rules (especially rule #1). http://www.tdiclub.com/Disclaimer/ForumRules.html

Have Fun!

Don

F215

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
Rules noted. I'll check the grounds. I know I have to replace/bypass the passenger airbag connector under the seat, and both rear window motors, at a minimum. I just solved most of my problems by purchasing a low mileage 2014 Cayenne diesel. It's amazing.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Rules noted. I'll check the grounds. I know I have to replace/bypass the passenger airbag connector under the seat, and both rear window motors, at a minimum. I just solved most of my problems by purchasing a low mileage 2014 Cayenne diesel. It's amazing.

I haven't read the rules in forever. They need to add to the rules (nothing to do with you), especially about using all caps because of readability:
* Use punctuation to end a sentence and capitalize the starting letter of the next sentence.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
Not to be a simpleton, but have you tried a new hot battery? I've seen multiple VW electrical gremlins simply disappear with a new battery.

Yes, even when the old one tests perfectly fine...

F215

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
Not to be a simpleton, but have you tried a new hot battery? I've seen multiple VW electrical gremlins simply disappear with a new battery.

Yes, even when the old one tests perfectly fine...

Yes. This all started after I pulled the car out of mothballs, put in a new battery, and cranked it up.

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
I'll second checking the grounds, especially with multiple weird electrical problems. I beat my head for months with a transmission problem that ended up being a crappy ground under the battery tray.

Take them off, polish ring connectors, studs and nuts with a wire brush on a Dremel, then reassemble with battery grease.