MK6 TDI Sportwagen 6MT, On/ Off Throttle Thump

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
2011 TDI Sportwagen, 6MT, 115K miles

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issues. Ive searched, but haven't found any solid leads.

When going on/ off the throttle a thump can be felt. Equivalent to a small pothole. No sounds accompany the thump feeling. It feel like a front/ back movement, felt in the seat.

The thump is more pronounced in 4,5,6 gears around 2k RPMS.

I replaced the 3 main mounts with OEM parts (motor, trans, dogbone).

The car has a Valeo single mass flywheel conversion.

I removed the subframe brace and inspected the mounts they both seem solid, but I have replacements on hand.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Possibly exhaust system is loose from the clutch installation? I had that happen on my old JSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
Possibly exhaust system is loose from the clutch installation? I had that happen on my old JSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Possible, but I would think that would make a noise.

Also to add, in a higher gear at a low RPM, when the throttle is barely engaged, the car bucks lightly.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
I just had the P2015 code come up. Ive read about this and know about the dieselgeek part to fix it. I am also waiting on a call back from the dealer to see if I am eligible for the extended warranty that covers this.

Could the thumping be related to this?

From reading online, it seems like the only real symptom of the intake runner flap issue are hard starts and misfires.

Last edited:

afeinstein

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
I also have a "thump." My car is also a '11 JSW 6MT with 77k. Same- also checked dogbone and mounts and suspension is tight.

When I am cruising down the road in 3rd or 4th and then let off the pedal, the car lets off with a thud just like the driveline was loose or something. If I drop the accelerator it does it. I can soften it by just remembering to let off slow on the pedal. If I keep the rpm's the same and push the clutch down there is no thump. It is worse when the car is warm.

While it seemed to be felt in the driveline/ suspension, I always felt it was related to boost or some sort of engine management thing. My car was in an accident and there was a crack in the intercooler, and as a result I would get this pulsing in torque on the driveline - this feels kinda like that but more oomph.

I also have a Valeo SMF clutch in my car. How long has it lasted for you? The clutch engagement is pretty good but the car is not as smooth and quiet and certainly on the highway. Lots of people are telling me that my synchros are going to go and after 1000k miles so far nothing.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
That sounds exactly like my issue. I put about 1k miles on the SMF kit without an issue and it getting progressively worse.

I’m going to check all the mounts and re-tourqe everything. It definitely feels like something large is moving (engine).

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
I put the car on ramps to check the torque on the subframe bolts. Ive read about the subframe clunk and movement, so I checked and noticed that I can see "scoring" around the bolts - indicating there is movement.

I just ordered the ECS subframe locking collar kit.

It should be here in the next couple days. Ill report back after install and some driving.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
I think this is just a feature of these cars... Mine does the clunk on/off throttle under 2k rpms. I have to be very careful about the way I apply throttle to reduce it. I'll be curious to see if you have any luck with the subframe locking kit. I installed the 034 dogbone insert to try to reduce engine movement with some luck, and my car definitely needs the subframe locking kit at some point as I do get the clunk on turn-in during aggressive driving and track days. These cars just have a lot of engine movement from the factory, I'm also guessing the SMF just exacerbated this symptom.

afeinstein

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
Look forward to your research. Thank you! The ECS instructions are so well written - gives you much confidence and gave me an education about bolts, torque, etc.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My guess is that the smf has beat up the gearbox and it's about to go south. When it does, go back to a dmf arrangement. The dampeners and fluid cocktails will only buy a minimal amount of time.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
Update

I installed the ECS locking collar kit and replaced the upper and lower dogbone bushings.

There is a noticeable improvement. There is still some movement/ thump, but it is minor compared to before.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nice. Best of luck with the smf. Keep us updated every 10k or so on how the gearbox holds up.

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
my 2014 manual does this..............stock DMF...

i ASSUMED it was due to mounts, but my car just broke 60k and shouldn't have any mount issues yet....but, there have been some bad wheel hop episodes with my car, so there might be

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Update

I installed the ECS locking collar kit and replaced the upper and lower dogbone bushings.

There is a noticeable improvement. There is still some movement/ thump, but it is minor compared to before.
I like to ask how easy, or shall I say how hard, was it to press out/press in the two round mounts (the two round rubbers mounted inside the subframe cradle).

I don't have a hydraulic press but was thinking of using some wood blocks, regular car jack and a round steel object slightly small then the rubber, then press the rubbers out against a truck frame.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
I like to ask how easy, or shall I say how hard, was it to press out/press in the two round mounts (the two round rubbers mounted inside the subframe cradle).

I don't have a hydraulic press but was thinking of using some wood blocks, regular car jack and a round steel object slightly small then the rubber, then press the rubbers out against a truck frame.

It took me about 60 minutes.
Removed Subframe
Cut out old mounts with as jig saw
I used a bench grinder to take a little of the material off the edge (lip) of the mounts so they were more tapered.
Froze the mounts in the freezer overnight.
I used a manual wheel bearing press I have. I bought a thinner/ longer bolt that would fit through the centers of the mounts. I really only used the metal press plates, so could prob fab something.This

I was able to press them in about 75% of the way. I then whacked it with a hammer and it popped right in.

The key is the grinding of material to make tapered edge. Remove as little as possible. Also taper the edge of the opening where the dogbone fits in.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
It took me about 60 minutes.
Removed Subframe
Cut out old mounts with as jig saw
I used a bench grinder to take a little of the material off the edge (lip) of the mounts so they were more tapered.
Froze the mounts in the freezer overnight.
I used a manual wheel bearing press I have. I bought a thinner/ longer bolt that would fit through the centers of the mounts. I really only used the metal press plates, so could prob fab something.This
I was able to press them in about 75% of the way. I then whacked it with a hammer and it popped right in.
The key is the grinding of material to make tapered edge. Remove as little as possible. Also taper the edge of the opening where the dogbone fits in.
Nice to know it could be done with a wheel bearing press. If I can't rent one from the auto part store then I definitely has to improvise a bit. I think it could be a bit of a challenge.

Previously my dealer quoted me on the job for about 4-5 hours of labour along. The funny thing is that VW does sell a ready to go cradle for about $700. If I can't get it done myself I might just take the cradle and the mounts to a car shop and pay them to swap the rubber out.