Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Yuk. That ain't no people's car....unless the people has a bottomless checkbook to fix all that electronic crap in 10 years...or crush it and buy a new car.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I just wish they made a reliable gas engine. I sold my GTI is large part because I got tired of reading about timing chain issues, intake issues, carbon building up, and endless water pumps.

Not that the 2.0 CR TDI's are exactly problem free.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I just wish they made a reliable gas engine. I sold my GTI is large part because I got tired of reading about timing chain issues, intake issues, carbon building up, and endless water pumps.

Not that the 2.0 CR TDI's are exactly problem free.
I'll second that, there would be a Tiguan in my driveway except I don't want that engine.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So far the little 1.4L turbo gas engine has been OK from what I have seen. Not done anything to one aside from PM. However I have not gotten to see one with over 100k on it yet. And while that milestone used to be not much of anything, with the EA888 VAG gassers, that is a feat to do without some wallet crushing thing needed. It sucks. As a fan of the brand it pisses me off more than anything, really.

But you know what, some of the uber expensive stuff that breaks on newer cars we see here just galvanizes my resolve to keep my older ones on the road, and bring more older ones back to serviceable status.

It is Friday as I type this, and our shop has had THREE Nissans with that cursed CVT in here this week with failures. Not a single one of them was past 100k miles. The OLDEST was a 2013! :eek: Ridiculous. Also have a 2016 Colorado in here with its dash out, HVAC case out and apart, because the temp blend door rounds off where the electric motor turns it. A 2015 Transit Connect that needs a radio that will be over a grand. And a 2012 Optima that has a connecting rod trying to shawshank its way out of the crankcase, and it is NOT one of the thousands that fell under Hyundai/Kia's warranty extension for engine failures.

And then a 2004 Malibu that is getting tires and alignment, and a 2005 Golf that is getting a 200k PM and a valve cover. Peanuts in comparison. Somewhere along the line, these manufacturers have strayed. And now they are wondering why new car sales are sagging. Well shoot, if most people have to finance them for seven years just to be able to afford them, AND have some random $2000+ repair after warranty but before paid off.... :(

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
It is Friday as I type this, and our shop has had THREE Nissans with that cursed CVT in here this week with failures. Not a single one of them was past 100k miles. The OLDEST was a 2013! :eek: Ridiculous.

Yep. Shopping crossovers for my mother in law and Rogue was on the list. Then I read that the transmissions are apparently made of paper mache and routinely fail at less than 50k. Imagine a car that needs 3 transmissions in the time it takes to wear out a set of MK4 VW front brake pads.

oilhammer

TDI
Shoot, the first generation Versa's CVT was pretty much a 100% failure rate item. We had a fleet that had a bunch of those, LOL. CVTs outside of hybrids seem to be an almost universally weak component, regardless of whose it is. But Nissan pretty much is the worst of the worst.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I watched the youtube video, I like that car. I even kind of like that color, although I don't think I'd buy it. I would imagine the interior tech stuff would be pretty robust, I worry more about cameras and sensors getting damaged by weather or parking lot mishaps. And everyting feeling obsolete in 10 years, or less.

I read recently that 2020 Porsches have DPFs in the Euro market. BMWs, too. I guess the Tier 6 emissions require a 90% reduction in particulate emissions. Wonder how that's going to go. Those kind of things in newer cars worry me more than electronics.

oilhammer

TDI
GDI was going to force particle filters sooner or later. The sooty tailpipes of them was the first clue. Some of the Ford's smaller Ecoboost engines have tailpipes and rear ends sootier than an ALH pre-ULSD. :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Apparently this is the cause of the trend towards fake exhaust tips. They turn down the real exhaust pipes, keeps the back of the car clean.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Apparently this is the cause of the trend towards fake exhaust tips. They turn down the real exhaust pipes, keeps the back of the car clean.
It's disappointing that VWAG has resorted to this exhaust outlet design fakery. They aren't the only ones, but seem to have started the trend. Maybe a visible soot trail dripping from the exhaust was deemed unacceptable after the diesel emissions scandal.

oilhammer

TDI
It's disappointing that VWAG has resorted to this exhaust outlet design fakery. They aren't the only ones, but seem to have started the trend. Maybe a visible soot trail dripping from the exhaust was deemed unacceptable after the diesel emissions scandal.

Which is ironic, since the "cheating" diesels had the cleanest tailpipes of all (so long as the DPF isn't cracked, LOL...).

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
So far the little 1.4L turbo gas engine has been OK from what I have seen. Not done anything to one aside from PM. However I have not gotten to see one with over 100k on it yet.

(
Over on Fuelly.com there are a number of 1.4 gas turbos reporting 60 - 90k.

I messaged one such owner - to ask if he'd had any mechanical issues (70+k mi)

His reply:"Absolutely none".............

This made my day. (I already know the highway fuel efficiency first hand).

all the best,

ez

markwn

TDI
This is my favorite model! My dream is to raise money and buy it for me!

I habitually use loans, but I am not too happy doing that, just for the record. It is just something that keeps me afloat for the time being. Oh well, beggars are no choosers, but at least I can congratulate myself on having found a lender with rather surmountable fees. Just click the up coming page to check them out.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
From the Jalopnik article:
Somehow, though, the 2020 Golf ... still earned a perfect five-star score in terms of overall safety. I guess the little hatchback was just so great in every other respect that the possibility of your backseat pals being ejected from the car wasn’t that big of a deal.
Looks to me that the NCAP didn't penalize the Golf because they recognize that real humans are too large to fit into the back "seat". That is, it isn't an ejection danger because no one will ever be sitting there.

Cheers!

PH

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Having seen some of the intellectual geniuses that run emissions testing stations, those fake exhaust tips would probably earn super clean emissions results many times for those jurisdictions where exhaust sniffers are still used. It is true however, that there are very few places that do that anymore. I don't know of any, anyway. They all just plug in to the diagnostic port and see what the ECU has to say for itself.

Cheers,

PH