2010 vs 2012 Touareg

silverfstop

TDI
Currently shopping
Howdy All-

Looking forward to adding a TDI to our fleet, and I could use a little help from the sages of the forum.

I'm bouncing back and forth between the Touareg2 and the current body style. Trying to weigh the pros and cons of something ~5 years old versus newer. The primary appeal of the Treg2 is the low range gearbox - though I'm fairly sure I'll never put it to real use. I don't own a boat, and I have exactly zero desire to go off roading in any scenario where low range and locking diffs is required. On the other hand, the 2010's are also less costly, which is a nice offset.

So, aside from my attachment to gears I'll never use - can anyone weigh in with info about the stuff that really matters - reliability, ownership costs, maintenance, etc? For the moment, let's consider the cosmetics a draw, and only focus on what's likely to break, and how much that'll cost to repair. Obviously the newer model will have more technology, but my current daily driver is a B5 S4 - so I really won't know the difference.

Thanks!

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Recommend reading a lot at clubtouareg.com, and there's also a good summary/comparison on myturbodiesel.com. One reality is *some* with the current body style have a steering wheel shake issue, but better mileage and so on. As far as what will break, speaking simply I don't perceive a whole lot of difference; they're both expensive when something does -- so strongly consider an extended warranty. They're both also probably a good bit more expensive to maintain than your S4. Good luck in your search.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
We've had the 09 since mid November. It's completely different beast from the mkiv jetta. I knew what i was getting into, had both NOx sensor's replaced, and a connecting hose from the intake manifold to the turbo replaced. Dealer covered some, but the rest was me.

I should have had the car really checked out by my mechanic, but he wasn't available. I'd recommend doing this, and get a VCDS if you don't already have one.

That being said, the vehicle is great. Lots of room for the two of us and three dogs.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If you're getting something used, do a complete auto-scan with VCDS to check for codes in all modules. This is imperative, as a lot of codes won't trigger a check engine light or any other indication on the dash.

It would seem that the newer Touaregs (3rd gen) get better fuel economy due to the AWD system and some engine modifications. They are definitely decontented compared to older models with low range, locking diffs, air suspension, etc., but they may offer better value if you don't need/want all of that extra stuff (it's just more stuff to break anyway, right?).

OsirisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Tech Package DSG Golf, Executive Egg
Set aside a few grand in cash, you will enjoy Touareg ownership. There is no real way to known if a part will fail or break. Normal maintenance(fluids & filters) is $600+/year, tires $800+, brakes for rotors & pads $1000+.

I speculate that most Touareg owners agree that the truck is overall a robust design. However, if you need to replace a failed part... you won't find bargain basement cost to repair this vehicle.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Rotors and pads are that much? Maybe if you're also paying labor. V10 front brakes can be had from IDParts from $190 - $250 depending on what brand you choose, and those are for the 6-piston Brembo calipers! I can't imagine that the new 4-piston calipers are significantly more expensive... :confused:

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2647

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Yes, the 2012 T3 doesn't do too well on the gear number front as it only has 8 forward and 1 reverse compared to 12 and 2 on the 2010 T2.

The 2010 also had a diff lock as well as the glass opening in the rear hatch, a voltage meter on the dashboard and various other things that disappeared with the arrival of the T3!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes, the 2012 T3 doesn't do too well on the gear number front as it only has 8 forward and 1 reverse compared to 12 and 2 on the 2010 T2.

The 2010 also had a diff lock as well as the glass opening in the rear hatch, a voltage meter on the dashboard and various other things that disappeared with the arrival of the T3!

Winner!

ECFG

TDI
2013 Audi Q7 TDI, Vanagon Westphalia Syncro TD, 2004 Jetta Wagen TDI
Just picked up a gem of a 2010 TDI Touareg at the beginning of January with 92,000 miles on it. Was in perfect condition and had spotless maintenance history all from VW dealer in California. It drives great and so far is getting around 26 mpg combined.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Congraduations ! There is no reason why ANY modern car should not be able to do @ least one major tune (100,000 to 120,000 miles) with normal scheduled maintenance.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I'm cross-shopping two T'rag's for towing our family food trailer business (3600 lbs, fully loaded). The trailer is 17' long (not including tongue) x 8.5' wide with rounded, aerodynamic corners.

Both have:

• Factory tow option with tow bar (7716lb tow limit)
  • Diesel-gate power train warranty until SEP 2023 @ similar miles left on warranty--so that's a non-issue.

And breaking down differences:

• 2010 with LUX and TECH packages(4 airbag suspension, MFI goodies, bigger trans cooler @ 152,000 miles. This one has an aftermarket head unit. Will it still recognize the trailer when plugged in and will the trailer ESC and brake controller function, or do I have to retrofit my controller? Not a big deal, just wondering if it's 'plug & play' with an aftermarket radio head unit?
  • 2011, heavily de-contented, but arguably MUCH more comfortable seats, 'regular' suspension, smaller trans cooler @ 101,000 miles

On 'paper' analysis, the 2011's superior fuel economy eeks out a 2% better overall bang/buck score ( I built a big dorky spreadsheet looking at 26 factors, mostly on 'trailer-ability (dynamic stability), usability as DD, cargo capacity, Edmunds TCO, etcetera).

Which one will really just tow better? Is the 6 speed harsh or less finessed for towing? I sure like the trans cooler on it which is 3x the size of the dinky 2011 one.

Last edited:

DieselZappa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Just picked up a 2010 with Lux & Tech package. This is an awesome vehicle! The way I see it, I would rather have the last in the older generation as opposed to the first in the newer generation...I figure they will have most of the bugs worked out by that point??

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
VWs were called BUGS for a reason...
But seriously often they make new models to fix previous bugs and install new ones at the same time.
Sometimes they upgrade engines and running gear or make some styling changes while keeping obsolete electronica with existing bugs called "features"

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
If you buy any T2 or T3 get a extended warranty. I have had both a 2012 and now a 2016 TDI. I had an extended warranty on my 2012 from new and I broke even by the time I traded it in for a 2016 because of the emission business. New one had 10yrs and 100k on all engine and emissions equipment so I passed on the extended,BUT I may pick one up if I decide to keep it longer. Sleep well and enjoy a great car.