Phoenix!! Phoenix!!

Sparkadaus

TDI
MKlV Golf 5spd.
Hi,

I am wanting to purchase a 2003 Golf TDI in Phoenix. Who has a good mechanic to check it out before I get it?????

I already checked to trusted list...so who do you use??

Thanks allot guys

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
I do all my work myself, but I am too new to TDI's to volunteer to do an inspection.

When I was looking at the VAG-Com locator, there was a tuning shop up on Cave Creek Rd listed. That may be a good place to start.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
The only shop that i let touch my car is Totally German, that's if i don't do the work myself.

Sparkadaus

TDI
MKlV Golf 5spd.
I'm in Colorado. No rust, its in perfect shape. He bought a crappy knockoff turbo, the shaft doesn't spin. I'm having Exklusive Motorsports look at the engine wendsday

Sparkadaus

TDI
MKlV Golf 5spd.
I didn't realize that blowing a turbo could have such a bad effect. I will need to call hiim tomorrow and find out the circumstances of the turbo failure, how much he drove it afterward, how much oil was in the intake and intercooler, etc. He said he towed it to his house, so I don't know if he hydrolocked it and just drained the cylinders later. My friend in Phoenix checked it out and said it was really nice. He drove it around a little, said it didn't smoke, it just has low power and super low to no boost. I will just have to wait and see what the mechanic says.

Sparkadaus

TDI
MKlV Golf 5spd.
Thanks! My friend is from CO, so I hope he looked for road salt. I asked him about the cat and he said he removed it (or the internals, leaving the shell, idk) Yeah, I was a little weary when he said that he didn't have it in his name yet. I think he said he got it from a friend parents, I think it was an owner carry type deal. He was saying some mechanic or something said a clogged cat may have been what ruined the turbo, but I don't think so. I clogged it in on my golf gasser, and it barely ran. I hope its just a turbo that blew oil into the exhaust side, and not into the intake. At least he towed it, so maybe he just shut her down when he felt the pop and saw the smoke.

Derek, owner of exclusive motorsports, is the recommended guru out there, he said he would take a close look at it and let me know whats up. He said people that install new turbos that are newbs usaully get something wrong. Besides, I think he installed a crappy knockoff. My brothers 1998 always goes into limp because he has a bad wastegate, so I just hope that its something like that.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Indigo blue 4 door 5 speed? with a new turbo?

I found out car lived in NH most of its life and that caused me to back out, I am spoiled by rust free cars out here.

I am not saying it is rusted, just saying NH causes some worry for me. The turbo blew and filled everything with oil, hopefully didn't hydro lock and bend rods and such. Guy says its not building boost now, maybe its an easy fix, maybe not.

I found a nice two door in LA, jumped on plane and swooped it.
I texted that guy the other day before posting in this thread.... didnt put 2 & 2 together, even though he told me a guy form colorado was coming to get in and he is holding it...

he said it was under boosting. I told him to check his actuator rod length because that could be causing the problem then he told me there is no shaft play but fills like something is prevent the turbo from spinning (by hand) and doesn't build boost..... :rolleyes:

Last edited: