TDI
Year: 2011
Build Date: unknown
Make/Model: TDI JSW with nav
Tranny: DSG, 6M DSG
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 9600
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) unknown
Additives: (Yes/No) unknown
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) Bought a "pre-owned" JSW from local Honda dealership that was shipped in from a sister store in South Carolina. One owner vehicle. Car inspected upon trade-in and again at local Honda dealership. Drove car home (20 mins). Four hours later, got back onto freeway after 5 minutes of driving and glow plug light came on accompanied by the Check Engine warning. Noticeable loss of power, but able to maintain reasonable highway speed. Returned immediately to dealer. Dealer looked over following day and diagnosed a "bad sensor" and sent it to VW. After much pushing from my side, and the passage of several days, I finally got word the part they were waiting on was back-ordered. Yup, that HPFP. Contacted the service manager at VW dealership who confirmed the catastrophic failure of the fuel pump along with metal sharding. Per the notes sent over by the Honda dealership, the car was topped with a "couple of gallons of gas" (verbatim) before they turned it over to me. *facepalm*
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Darrell Waltrip Honda (seller); Hallmark VW of Nashville (repair)
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) Because the car had only been driven 30 minutes by me post-purchase, and no fuel had been added by me, Honda is covering the cost of the repair. HPFP on backorder, but may be arriving within the next day or two. VW is saying it was bad fuel and, if the Honda notes were correct and some helpful flunky topped it with gasoline, that would definitely explain it. I have no knowledge of the car prior other than the CarFax report which indicates a single owner who traded in the vehicle. It is possible the problem occurred which prompted the trade-in, but since Honda sold me the car in working order, they are paying for the fuel system replacement. Also, giving me $500-1000 back for my troubles (in addition to the loaner car).

I had the option to walk away from this deal as Honda said they would allow me to have a full refund despite their normal policy, but I have been looking for this particular blend of JSW mileage/color/components for months now. Will take a leap of faith that the issue will be resolved and go from there.

istone

TDI
Jetta Wagon TDI '10
2010 sportwagen
48k miles

Year: 2010
Make/Model: TDI sportwagen
Tranny: unknown
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 48000
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) unknown/various
Additives: (Yes/No) biodiesel
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.)
HPFP failed. Metal shards throughout the fuel system. dealer says needs to replace entire system.
Happened over a week ago, had car towed to dealer, parts were on order for about a week and they had originally told me it will be covered under the power train warranty. I was driving on the highway and lost power/accelleration and was able to keep chugging along at 50mph. got to exit car stalled and wouldn't start again. had car towed to dealer. After parts come in and they begin work (probably taking apart my car's fuel system) they said they discovered bio in the fuel and they are sending a sample to VW for testing.
they are telling me that the issue is caused by the biodiesel and there are heavy sediments built up on the pump.

Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) don't want to divulge this yet, as it is still pending, waiting for word from VW but its not looking good
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)

specialagentdale

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen
This happened to me... TWICE!

I've had HPFP failure... TWICE on the same car!

First Time, December 2010:
Make/Model: JSW
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: 4372
Diesel Fuel Source: Either Mobil or some independent place
Additives: No
Problem: over a period of weeks, engine seemed to lack power, then died a few times while driving at low speed. glow plug light came on. Took to dealer who found metal shavings in the fuel filter, said that the fuel pump was coming apart. Dealer hinted that contaminated fuel (gasoline instead of diesel) was to blame, even though I never put gas in it.
Dealer: Commonwealth VW, Santa Ana CA
Status: Dealer replaced entire fuel system at no charge, said it was covered by warranty.

Second Time, Same Car, October 2011
Mileage: 13570
Diesel Fuel Source: Pretty sure it was Mobil
Problem: With almost no warning engine died while driving at low speed. Got it to start again, drove to dealer right away. Engine died again while idling at a red light. Would not start again. Had to tow it to the dealer. Again, dealer indicated metal in the fuel filter, and that the filter was disintegrating. They were very apologetic and assured me it would be covered at no charge. They did not have a good answer as to why it happened again.
Dealer: Commonwealth VW, Santa Ana CA
Status: Dealer replaced entire fuel system at no charge, said it was covered by warranty.

No problems since. Considering additives to increase lubricity to make sure it doesn't happen again, or maybe trading it in...

gregert12

Veteran Member
TDI
Build Date: 6/2010 per sticker in engine bay
Make/Model: VW Jetta
Tranny: DSG, 6M 6speed manual
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) This is where it gets tricky. I bought the car at 22k miles (presume that prior owner discovered metal in fuel system, freaked out, sold car) then I bought it. At 30,600, I popped the fuel filter cover again, same quantity of metal in filter canister. Took car into service, had the system fixed. (might as well do it and the 30k care free at the same time)
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) wawa diesel, same store, same pump. Wawa has a policy that if bad fuel causes a problem, they will pay to fix the car.
Additives: (Yes/No) Prior to 22k miles, I doubt it, after that, stynadyne performance as per VW recommendation. it slowed down/stopped the decay of the fuel system, imho.
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) Metal in fuel filter, not a lot, as per visual, maybe 20-40 specks per square inch. Had car fixed, no questions asked. Metal in system from hpfp per dealer.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Hamilton Imports VW, Hamilton NJ
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) Dealer fixed everything, all new parts and same fuel tank which was cleaned. First it was "normal" due to the prior tech (diff dealer) cranking the key to prime the system. Spoke to service mgr, same theory, next day, are changing everything fuel related but will cleaning the fuel tank. Called VWOA and emailed NHTSA in regards to problem.

After the fix, my MPG went up by 5 since I bought it. I believe the stynadyne stopped the hpfp from decaying. We shall see in 10k miles if there is metal in the filter which will prove if the additive helps or not. I am not worried :)

edit- everything was changed, injectors,fuel rail, pressure valve, lines, hpfp, etc. the only original part is the fuel tank which they "cleaned"

Last edited:

istone

TDI
Jetta Wagon TDI '10
2010 sportwagen
48k miles
Make/Model: TDI sportwagen
Tranny: unknown
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 48000
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) unknown/various
Additives: (Yes/No) biodiesel
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.)
HPFP failed. Metal shards throughout the fuel system. dealer says needs to replace entire system.
Happened over a week ago, had car towed to dealer, parts were on order for about a week and they had originally told me it will be covered under the power train warranty. I was driving on the highway and lost power/accelleration and was able to keep chugging along at 50mph. got to exit car stalled and wouldn't start again. had car towed to dealer. After parts come in and they begin work (probably taking apart my car's fuel system) they said they discovered bio in the fuel and they are sending a sample to VW for testing.
they are telling me that the issue is caused by the biodiesel and there are heavy sediments built up on the pump.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) don't want to divulge this yet, as it is still pending, waiting for word from VW but its not looking good
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)

I filed a report with NHTSA last week and heard back from an investigator with follow up questions. I answered his questions, and also asked for assistance in pressing VW to cover this under warranty. I have no idea if he called or not, but i did get a call shortly thereafter from VW that everything is being covered under powertrain warranty after all. PHEW!.

I should have the car back in another 2-3 days and will post with information on which part number fuel pump they used, as well as a list of actual parts replaced. They said "entire fuel system" but i'm not sure if this means they will clean or replace the tank itself.

now i am worried if this will happen again, especially once the car is out of warranty. (i'm @ 48k now).

tdi10sb

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Make/Model: VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Tranny: 6-speed manual
Mileage: 33,400 approx
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron, 76, occasional Shell
Additives: No additives previously, will begin using now though
Problem: HPFP Failure
Dealer: Volkswagen Pasadena
Status: Repaired, dealer handled everything no questions asked. From my conversations with the service techs, it seems as though they were familiar with HPFP failures.

HPFP failed Saturday, September 23. Had filled up at Chevron and driven about 150 highway miles that same day with no problems. Tank was still about 3/4 full. Stopped at home for an hour or so then started out again on a quick errand, and about 3 blocks from home, “check engine now!” light came on and glow plug light started flashing. Car would not accelerate, so I pulled over and turned off the engine. When I tried to restart, heard a metal grinding sound and car would not turn over. Had it towed to Pasadena Volkswagen. Service tech confirmed HPFP failure, metal shards, etc. and said it did not appear to be due to contaminated diesel. Dealer replaced the entire fuel delivery system and electrical pumps in fuel tank (did not replace fuel tank, but drained the tank and added a few gallons of fresh diesel to flush). Parts arrived in a couple of days and I picked up the car Thursday. Had to take it back in because there were some glitches with the installation of the new parts that was causing one of the parts to emit a high-pitched vibration type drone, but they eventually sorted that out and I picked up the car for good last night. Runs great so far. I will definitely be using an additive in the future - probably Stanadyne, though the service tech said that VW does not officially endorse the use of any additives and that the pump should be compatible with ULSD. He also told me that the new pump was an updated version from the failure-prone one, though who knows if that is true. I am hoping for no further problems.

plus1

TDI
Q7, A3
Audi TDi failures

My family owns two Audi TDi vehicles, a 2010 Q7 and a 2010 A3. Both vehicles have suffered catastrophic TDi failures.
Make/Model: Audi / Q7
Tranny: dual clutch tiptronic
Mileage: 30,000
Diesel Fuel Source: reatail sources, union 76, chevron, etc... All CA D2
Additives: NO - Just Audi AddBlue
Problem: HPFP failed and caused engine to cease - required engine replacement and complete fuel system replacement.
Dealer: Auto Gallery, Woodland Hills, CA
Status: Fully repaired and according to dealer, updated to 2012 equipment spec. Dealer provided a loaner Q7 for the 6 weeks of repair and as far as we know, they totally kick all ass. On the other hand, Audi bites. Half the time the car was in the shop was waiting for Audi to release a new engine from the factory for the repair. They held this up way too long.
But wait there is more........
Build Date: Unknown
Make/Model: Audi / A3
Tranny: 6 spd dual clutch tiptronic
Mileage: 38,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron / Unical etc.. CA D2
Additives: None
Problem: (HPFP failed today - damage being assessed by dealer
Dealer: Auto Gallery, Woodland Hills, CA
Status: TBD, Dealer is disassembling to assess extent of damage. They gave me a 2013 A3 TDI as a loaner at no cost. Love the Auto Gallery! They rock.

10/11/12 update - Turns out my A3 had a fuel pump failure and needs a new fuel system - bumper to bumper. The whole process is being held up by a transfer pump that is on back order. As of today it has been in the shop a week+ and it may be another week before I see my car again. Loving the 2013 A3 TDi loaner car. The air conditioning in the 2013 seems much better than my 2010, it gets cool almost instantly and it is strong enough to keep the car cool. Having Audi look at my HVAC while they have the car.

10/17/12 update - According to dealer, they currently have other A3s in for repair with the same problem as mine. Dealer cannot get parts for repair and no estimate on when I get my car back. According to dealer, there is an Audi parts shortage due to numerous A3 fuel pump failures.

10/20/12 update - After my DOT complaint and Facebook rant about "Truth in Engineering" I received a call from Audi USA. I had just been on the phone with the dealer and they had no ETA for parts or my car. After discussing the situation with Audi and understanding their need to restore my faith in the brand, I wasn't sure what to expect. The very next day I received a phone call at 3:00pm from the dealer and my car was done. Parts found! Car done! Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease....

As it turns out, TDi is the future of Audi. I have been told by Audi USA that nearly all of their cars will be available with TDi within the next couple years and they need us to support TDi and the brand..... Sounds to me like it is time to get squeaky if you have a problem with TDi.

10/25/12 update - Today I was contacted by an engineer at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Office of Defects Investigation. She is "assembling information" for an ongoing investigation into this class of vehicles. Yeah! Maybe there will be a recall.

Last edited:

rmchung

TDI
Mk6 Golf TDi
Build Date: N/A
Make/Model: Golf TDI
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 37,650
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron
Problem: HPFP failed
Dealer: VW Puente Hills, CA
Status: 10/8/12 - Techs are still looking at all parts affected. VW says it will cover all costs and provide loaner vehicle.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
Build Date:?
Make/Model: jetta tdi sedan
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 58,400
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) sunoco
Additives: (Yes/No)no
Problem: (HPFP failed, with metal in filter...replaced HPFP, second time...replaced tank pump, third time...they replaced fuel rail, then took for test drive and apparently it did it again so now they are replacing fuel sysem...but not the fuel tank, they are going to clean that.
Dealer: Thompson formerly Holberts
Status: first time HPFP failed, with metal in filter...replaced HPFP, second time...replaced tank pump, third time...they replaced fuel rail, then took for test drive and apparently it did it again so now they are replacing fuel system all but the tank which they are cleaning.

Last edited:

MM48

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Make/Model: Golf TDI
Tranny: 6A
Mileage: 29,100
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell
Problem: HPFP failed
Dealer: McKenna HB, CA
Status: 10/9/12 - Entire fuel system needs to be replaced, parts come in on wednesday. VW says it will cover all costs and provide loaner vehicle.

MM48

saltspringtdi

TDI
2010 TDI wagon
another HPFP failure

Build Date:
Make/Model:Golf TDI Wagon
Tranny: 6 speed manual
Mileage: 51,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Coop (local station)
Additives: (No)
Problem: The check engine light came on while driving followed shortly thereafter by the glow plug light which began to flash at the same time as the car lost power. The car was driven home with limited power (as if the turbo wasn't functioning) and I called the dealer who told me to call roadside assistance and have it towed to the dealership. The dealer called this afternoon to tell me that they found metal particles in the fuel system and that they have been advised to contact VW Canada and await instructions. They told me that Volkswagen Canada has issued a bulletin instructing them to respond in this way. They told me they will get back as soon as they have information on how to proceed from VW Canada.
Dealer: Speedway Volkswagen Victoria
Status: The dealer was great! The issue will be dealt with under warranty and they have given me a very nice 2012 Tiguan to drive until the repairs are completed.
I spoke with the mechanic who is responsible for my car and was told that the fuel sample (insisted on by VW Canada) was perfect with no signs of water etc.

Last edited:

tdidanny

TDI
2010 Golf tdi 4-door 6M
2010 Golf tdi pump failure

Here is mine, which happened on October 18, 2012:

Build Date: 03/2010
Make/Model:VW Golf 4dr tdi
Mileage: 29,545
Problem: Check engine light went on a few seconds after I had merged a few lanes over on the freeway (101S @Holly during rush hour). Glow plug light flashed once or twice. Within 60 seconds, the car had died while traffic was speeding up on both sides of me. Put on emergency flashers. I could not get the car started again, nor did I have enough time to merge to the side of the road (I had 2 lanes on my right, 2 on my left). After trying to start it for a minute or so, called 911. After 10 - 15 minutes, CHP came and stopped all traffic, pushed me to the side of the road with his car. Car still would not start. Tow truck came a while later, towed me to VW dealer (Boardwalk) which was nearby.
Dealer: Boardwalk Volkswagon, Redwood City, CA
Status: Fixed under warranty. Provided me rental car. Took 1 week. All in all, gave me good service. They replaced the entire fuel system. Here is what they did under warranty (per the receipt):
* replaced high pressure fuel pump
* Replaced auxiliary fuel pump
* replaced fuel filter housing and filter
* replaced all injector lines
* replaced 4 injectors
* replaced fuel rail
* removed and reinstalled fuel pump inside gas tank
* drain and refill diesel
* road tested recheck OK
* vendor code (bosch) and (cbf)

Not a very opportune time for a catastrophic failure, while cruising on the busy rush-hour highway, and it happened very fast. Nevertheless, no one was injured, and the car is now back on the road. I know several people with these cars of this vintage, and I will encourage them to contact VW to try and replace the pump before it fails.

Update: At Plus 3 Golfer's suggestion, I filed NHTSA report 10482481: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/compla...rchType=QuickSearch&summary=true&refurl=email

Last edited:

rosaluma

TDI
2012 Passat
Year:2012
Build Date:
Make/Model: VW Passat TDI
Tranny: DSG, 6M DSG
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began)5,383
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.)Chevron, Valero
Additives: (Yes/No)No
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP failed,stalled on busy, high-traffic surface street. Towed to dealer.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Hansel VW
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)Still pending.

Update: 28 parts being replaced. Car still at dealer. VW techs concerned about the failure so early.
Got the car back on 11/14. All expenses covered by VW. Metal found in the pump and fuel system.

Last edited:

sero73

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Year: 2009
Build Date:
11/2008

Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 60012 (we bought as CPO at 54,200 miles)
Diesel Fuel Source: various
Problem: HPFP fail. Same story as others. Driving along, car dings and glow plug lamp flashes and starts running rough as wife pulls into work. Parks car and will not restart after several attempts. VW roadside assist tows to nearest dealer.
Dealer: Ancira VW of San Antonio
Status: VW covered all repairs at dealer after determing fuel was not contaminated at time of HPFP failure. 28 parts in all replaced (whole fuel system minus fuel tank). Dealer said repairs would've been covered at this point regardless of warranty status with CPO program.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Build Date: 11/08
Make/Model: JETTA
Mileage: 17,419
Diesel Fuel Source: UNKNOWN, WAS REPLACED AFTER FAILURE ON TEST DRIVE
Additives: UNKNOWN
Problem: CAR STALLED/DIED ON 24HR TEST DRIVE REQUIRING TOW, WAS FIXED AND SOLD TO ME AT A DISCOUNT BECAUSE OF THE ISSUE
Dealer: AL SERRA VW, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO

Currently at 101k miles and have not had an issue since the repair.

Baltman195

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Year: 2012
Build Date:
?
Mileage: 5120
Diesel Fuel Source: Marathon
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: Rust throughout fuel injection system
Dealer: Keffer VW Huntersville NC
Status: Repaired under warrenty (after dealer fight with VW)

The check engine light came on (no noticable performance degradation) and VW told me it was a fuel injection sensor problem. I went back 3 days later and they replaced the sensor, and the check engine light was off. I drove it 3 miles, turned the car off. When I started it again the check engine light was back on so I took it right back to VW. They called the next day and told me that I had algae in the fuel injection system and the entire system needed replacement.

When I went back to pick it up after the repair was completed, I was able to talk to the mechanic who worked on the car. He told me that the problem was not algae, but that rust had poluted the entire fuel injection system. He had all of the replaced parts sitting on his work bench and he showed me what he thought the problem was.

The fuel pump (one of 3) that sits in the fuel tank has a section that floats up and down with the fuel level. There are two support rods that hold the section that floats up and down. One support rod is exposed and the other is inside of a spring. Both of these support rods were completely rusted and rust particles were being shaved off every time it went up and down (and flowing upstream to the fuel filter).

He also showed me the inside of the canister that the fuel filter sits in. There was rusty sludge on the bottom, and the two bolt/rivet heads exposed inside the canister (from the bracket on the outside) were also rusted.

He told me that he had to fight with VW to get them to cover it. They tried to claim that I must have put gasoline in the tank, but he explained to them about the rusty fuel pump and convinced them that they have a problem.

I have two (poorly focused cell-phone) pictures of the rusty rods in the fuel pump but I can't post them here. If someone wants to see them, I'll e-mail them to you.

I'm very concerned about the long term health of the car (which I love) and an unsure what to do going forward.

Would additives help prevent this from happening again ?

Bob A.

tobo

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Build Date: 9/2008
Tranny: 6 speed DSG
Mileage: 87k
Diesel Fuel Source: Various brand names (Last: COAST)
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: Heard a "ticking", glow plug warning light flashed, lost power and engine did not retsrat, all within a few seconds (luckily on an empty residential street). Metal particles. Discolored fuel (per the dealer).
Dealer: Sunnyvale VW, CA
Status: Dealer first inquired about the color of the fuel "any additives?". I confirmed that I'm the only one fuleing the car, that I have receipts, and don't add additives. Repaired this week for free (Goodwill). Repair took 1.5 weeks: flush the tank and lines to the filter, replace everything downstream from filter, including the injectors. I just changed the fuel filter ~82k without any evidence of particles. Pump installed has same part number. No advise on how to prevent recurrence ("Please call the factory").

icebox114

TDI
2010 JSW DSG
Build Date:
Make/Model: SportWagon TDI
Mileage: 23K
Diesel Fuel Source: BP
Additives: XLD
Problem: Filled up, drove approx 15 miles with no problem. Turned car off for approx. 1 hour. Started up and drove out of parking lot, glow plug light started flashing, power decreased with knocking sound coming from engine. Then MIL light came on solid, was able to nurse it home. Turned engine off and let sit for an hour. Tried to start again and engine cranked but wouldn't turn over. Towed to local mechanic, he couldn't diagnose very far but did think that HPFP failed due to contaminants in fuel system. Towed to dealership 90 miles away and they confirmed HPFP failure causing injector failure and a host of other fuel system problems, feels it is caused by gasoline in fuel. Estimates of about $7,000 in parts of labor.
Dealer: Traverse Motors, Traverse City, MI
Status: In process of repairing at dealership service center. Vehicle was totalled prior to purchase, collision shop repaired vehicle and sold it to me under salvage title at quite a deal. VWOA said due to car being totalled prior THEY WOULD NOT COVER REPAIR!! I have receipt from final fill-up that clearly states diesel, dealership is saving "fuel" from tank for possible analysis, plan on going after filling station to cover cost.

Last edited:

BlkJetta01

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black, 5spd Sold 327,000 miles: 2009 Jetta 145,264 miles RIP
Build Date:
Unsure, bought December 2008. Car at Dealer

Make/Model: VW Jetta TDI CR
Mileage: 145,264
Diesel Fuel Source: Various, usually Truck stops at interstate exits
Problem: HPFP Failure, Dealer noted no contamination found.
Dealer: Wallace VW of Bristol TN
Status: still pending, dealer refused, Will probably scrap car, repair will only warranty for 12,000 miles

vwascension

TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
fuel pump failure

Build Date: don't know, car in shop
Make/Model: Jetta sportwagen - US car new in North Carolina but imported by me into Canada Feb 2010 - 6k miles on it when I bought it used from original owner.
Mileage: 42000 miles/68000 km
Diesel Fuel Source: mostly Shell ULS diesel
Additives: (Never)
Problem: Never had a problem with the engine ever in this car, and have been totally pleased with it until last night. I was aware of checking for metal shaving issue when changing the fuel filter (done 2 months ago at dealer, no shavings). For the first time ever last evening, it hesitated on starting and did not start with first turn, but did on second turn. Drove fine for 1 km when there was a slight hesitation, a weird metalic tinkling noise in the engine bay passenger side, then Engine light and blinking glowplug light came on with a brief info center message saying something like Failure / Workshop. I was 1 km from the dealer and decided to drive straight there. After 1/2 km more (very low power in engine, still making noise but no lights flashing on dash or info message), the engine stopped. I pulled over and it restarted, but 200 meters later stopped again. I was not able to restart and had it towed 1/4 km to dealer.
The fuel tank is 1/4 full and I usually go until warning light comes on before refueling.
Dealer: Queensway VW
Status: Service technician told me today that the fuel pump "exploded" sending metal debris through entire fuel system downstream. Needed to replace everything downstream at $6000. He told me that he has seen this in other cars. This car is now out of warranty (36K US warranty) but I have a third party insurance package transferred from the original owner (Zurich Ins in Washington State). They are sending an "inspector" tomorrow to investigate the claim. Ugggggh.

UPDATE Dec 15, 2012 - Just got my car back from Buffalo ... I had it towed there (thank you CAA AAA) - they did a full fuel system replacement at Northtown VW, all covered under warranty. I don't know what I would have done if this was not covered ... would have been a really big paperweight ... who can afford a $7-10K fix on a "new" tdi for a HPFP failure?

Last edited:

RdPrry

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
Build Date: May 2009
Make/Model: VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Mileage: 135380 1st time, 228605 2nd time
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell, Sunoco
Problem: HPFP Failed. Metal particals in fuel filter, Both times warning lights came on and went into limp mode, turned off engine and restarted seemed fine after a short distance engine stalled would not restart.
Dealer: 1st time Boost VW in Bradenton Fl. replaced entire fuel system covered by VW of America. 2nd time VW of Lakeland Fl could not get VW to cover repair because of mileage even though mileage on pump was less than 1st repair.

ocindymom

TDI
2009 Jetta
HPFP Major Failure

Build Date: ?

Make/Model: VW Jetta TDI
Mileage: 63300
Diesel Fuel Source: Various - Arco, Shell, etc.
Problem: HPFP "blew apart, spewing metal shards throughout the entire fuel system" per dealer. Entire fuel system with the exception of the fuel tank needs to be replaced. Car gave a little shudder, then died and would not restart. "Major engine Failure" warning light came on (no warning before that). Had to tow it to the nearest dealer for repair.
Dealer: Winn VW, Newark, CA
Status: still pending - extended warranty company (recommended and sold to me by VW dealer) and dealer continue to haggle over who will pay. Dealer says they will not, warranty company keeps changing their mind. They have inspected and re-inspected. No contaminated fuel found. They finally agreed to pay, but only a small amount of the repair. 2 weeks in the shop and absolutely nothing done so far. In fact, they just ordered parts Saturday. Estimated cost to repair is $8000 plus rental car for 3 weeks.

yaknuts

TDI
Another failure . . .

Year: 2012
Build Date: ?
Make/Model: VW Golf TDI, 4 door, with Sunroof & Nav
Mileage: 7500

Problem: I had about 350 miles on the current tank of diesel (so I was about down to a 1/4 tank) when I heard a metallic tinkling sound coming from what sounded to be the front right side of my car. I turned off the radio so I could hear it and confirm if it was coming from my car. No check engine lights ever came on. At the next stop light (1 block later and maybe 30 seconds later), while idling, my car died. I was unable to restart after several attempts, so I pushed it through the intersection and to the side of the road.

Thankfully, I lived close by, so I walked home. When I came back a few hours later, I tried to restart and, while the engine would crank, it did not start. Finally, I called AAA and got a tow to Capitol VW. The tow truck driver said I should have bought a Honda.

Dealer: Capitol VW of San Jose, CA

Status: Dealer fixed everything under warranty. Although I was told that the cause was "bad fuel" or that gasoline had been put in the tank, they did not test the fuel. I have owned 2 other VW diesels and explained that there was never gasoline in my car. The service manager told me she believed there was a bad batch of fuel pumps.

This is what my invoice stated:

7621 duplicated no start condition - run GFF to check for faults - 2 faults, P0087 fuel rail system pressure to low and P0191 fuel fail pressure sensor "A" circuit range performance - DW time - follow gff test plan for fuel pressure checks - stop after checks and remove solenoid from high pressure pump for inspection - found metal debris inside of pump - open vta ticket with access code 1015753 and case #DW-891847 - tech line ok'd to replace high pressure pump and related fuel system parts - s/o parts for repair - replace high pressure fuel pump, secondary fuel pump, fuel filter housing, fuel injectors and all related fuel lines and hoses in the engine compartment - drain and refill fuel - code new fuel injectors - bleed fuel system - erase fault memory and test drive 6 miles, ok-

Moralesj

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Build Date:N/A
Make/Model: Golf
Mileage: 4500
Diesel Fuel Source:USA, shell
Additives:No
Problem: Was told that the lift pump in the tank was not giving enough fuel to the HPFP so it overheated and failed.
Dealer: VW of Alamo Heights aka Rod East VW
Status: Dealer was extremely reluctant to pay for the repair, they first blamed it on gas in the tank until I demanded a sample be given to me, then was told it was the sediment that caused the lift pump to starve the HPFP. I have VWOA investigating and should know more soon.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
Build Date:
Make/Model: Jetta JSW
Mileage: 65,296
Diesel Fuel Source: Mostly Chevron or Shell
Problem: Spontaneous engine shutdown while driving, HPFP failed, found metal dust on Fuel Regulator
Dealer: Ontario VW, Ontario, California
Status: Still pending. AAA towed to dealer, repair is going to be covered by VWoA. Hope to have it back within the week.

Last edited:

s3j

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Build Date: 9/10

Make/Model: JETTA
Mileage: 26532
Diesel Fuel Source: Smith's fuel center salt lake city
Problem: CAR STALLED/DIED ON interstate during morning commute. glow light indicator and malfunction indicator lamp were on, metal debris present inside of fuel pump and fuel filter
Dealer: Strong VW
Status: two days to diagnose, warranty covered, replaced fuel lines, hpfp, injectors, fuel filters, cleaned fuel tank

jlockhart26

TDI
2009 Jetta
Build Date: 5/11/09
Mileage: 86,581
Diesel Fuel Source: QT, Race Track, Chevron
Additives: NO
Problem: Check Engine Light on, Glow Plug Light flashing, entered limp mode. When I drove the car to the dealer, no lights on but had them check codes anyway. Codes where P0087 and P0191. Dealer found rust contaminants in filter housing. Tried to tell me I had a bad tank of fuel. Thankfully I had read this forum and also NHSTA website. Quoted $7,400 for complete fuel system replacement. Asked Dealer to call VOA and see about coverage. Car is out of warranty except on DSG. Never had any problems with car, never missed a service.
Dealer: Boardwalk VW of Dallas
Status: Dealer fixed everything, VOA covered 100% of repair. Thank you VW for stepping up, and Thank you Boardwalk. Love our TDI.

Dave@swamps

TDI
11 JSW
Year:2011
Mileage: 20,660
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell(Kroger) &/or Exxon
Problem: (HPFP failed)-work order described metal shavings throughout fuel system
Dealer: Hallmark VW-Coolsprings (near Nashville/Brentwood, TN)

summary~

purchased new in 2011, exceptionally maintained since new by (a really good-HallmarkVW) dealer...no modifications to engine/no tuning/stock exhaust

This vehicle gets fuel from the same station that my other diesel vehicles (7.3L & 6.4L Power Stroke's) are fueled.

I requested a fuel sample be taken IMMEDIATELY upon its' arrival at the dealership, PRIOR to any work being performed. The dealer obliged, but said the fuel was not contaminated, not cloudy (no water), had no smell of gasoline, etc.

This dealer also mentioned that they had seen 3 other recent HPFP failures, FWIW. (didn't get details on make/model/mileage)

The work order was impressive in its' documentation, and clearly stated that every single component of the fuel system was removed, cleaned, purged, etc...including the fuel tank.

new pump, new lines, new injectors, filter(s)...I would have to look up each individual part/component listed to see if anything was missed...but so far, the car is running fine...so I'm not worried about it.

sucks that it happened, as I was hoping that the issue was resolved by now(then)...when we purchased it...but I was impressed by the dealer.

I was uber-prepared for a fuel analysis battle...but they never even mentioned anything other than "it will all be taken care of"..which it was...including the rental.

spanish11

TDI
2012 Golf
Year:2012
Build date: N/A
Make/Model: VW Golf
Tranny:6M
Mileage: 11,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell,Valero but I mostly use Shell. When the HPFP failed I had a full tank of Shell Diesel.
Additives: NO
Problem: HPFP Failed
Dealer: Ancira VW San Antonio,TX
Status: Dealer is fixing everything car is still at the dealership so its still pending.

510Finn

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen
HPFP failed

Build Date: ? from VIN - 3VWPL7AJ5AM686xxx
Make/Model: Jetta SportWagen
Tranny: DSG 6sp
Mileage: 41k
Diesel Fuel Source: Mostly Shell ULSD
Additives: No, but would occasionally fill up with B5 or B20 from Propel.
Problem: Happened last night, with my 6 yr old daughter in the car, wife driving on 280 FW NB after filling up at the same Shell station. She has the fuel receipt and it is Diesel (what a relief!). CEL, and Injector light blinking, car shutdown but was able to pull off to the side but still next to FW on/off ramp at Wolfe Rd exit. Car would crank over but not start. Called AAA tow to VW Dealer where the car was purchased. I drove the car earlier that morning on a fairly long trip (over 100 miles), and started noticing the fuel economy wasn't as good as I normally would get (40 mpg), but it was raining heavy that morning so that's what I attributed it to, but only seeing 30 mpg after all FW driving was suspicious to me.
Dealer: Stevens Creek VW San Jose
Status: HPFP failure. Dealer said it's all covered, 0 cost and also gave wife Jetta 2.5 SE loaner. Not sure how long repairs will take. FWIW, when we originally got the car, I said to purchase the VW Extended warranty based from doing prior research of the car from this forum.
Update: Reported to NHTSA. The car was repaired in 2 days sorry I didn't update this thread but life happens.

I have the work order and I have the contents. It's basically the service tech notes, and the parts list. I'll summarize and list the parts.

Towed into shop: Glow Plug/Mil lights up flashing and won't start. Engine turns over. Inspect and Advise. Verified: Performed guided fault scan, found multiple faults present for cam timing, fuel system, and engine timing. Inspected and found the HPFP has failed: Removed fuel lines, found metal debris present in all lines and fuel filter. As per tech bulletin, recommend to replace entire fuel system due to contamination of metal debris. Completed. Replaced HPFP, senders, injectors, lines and filters. Refilled fuel, reset fault coding and road tested. Retest ok, system free of faults at this time, and fuel injection system is operating as per design at this time.

Several pipe parts, not listing all numbers, but a few are:
03L-130-301 (R, B, C), 03L-130-321, 5N0-130-307-J

03L-120-089 - Fuel Distr
1K0-127-400-F - Fuel Filter
03L-130-277-A - 4 Injectors
059-130-216-C - 4 Plates
WHT-000-884 - 4 seals for the 4 injectors
5N0-906-129-B - Fuel Pump (HPFP)

Other parts such as fuel line hose and pipe:
03L-201-360-G - Fuel Line
1K0-130-307-BJ - Hose
1K0-130-307-BG - Pipe