Mechanic/Parts in Asheville NC?

heartofgravy

Hey,

Anyone used a mechanic for the newer PD's in Asheville? I just go a 2004 Jetta TDI, and while it has been dealer maintained up to this point by previous owner, I would like to begin working with someone in the area, hopefully cheaper. Currently I just need some basics, oil change, etc,. but an close to TBelt and WPump. I am also interested in running Biodiesel, so I would like to talk to someone in the are with some experience with Blue Ridge Biofuels, our weather, and the PD engines.

Finally, I need to get a few random parts for some "cosmetic concern." (The plastic engine shield thing underneath is damaged (roadkill) so I would like to replace it and the plastic latch for the arm rest compartment is busted.) Is there a recommended place to make these purchases? Online? Local?

Thanks

Bryan

beetle98

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle TDi
Bryan, I also have a 2004 Jetta Tdi Auto with RC2. I get my oil changed at super lube and put synthetic in it. My skidplate is missing also and the oil change place is glad because it makes it easier to drain the old oil out. On my 98 beetle TDi i had the timing belt done at VW but you should check with either "4vdubs or TurbineWhine" these are there user names on the club they may know better for the timing belt. For the armrest just keep an eye on ebay probably the cheapest for a part like that. chad

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
pm turbinewhine. he's a great guy and can give you all sorts of advice. he's also very capable mechanically and can prolly help you out in that area, too.

beetle98, please tell me that you are buying 505.01 spec oil and taking it to the oil change place? if not, you are going to have some serious issues down the road.

heartofgravy

oil

I am definitely planning on using the proper oil. That was one of the issues when I bought the car a few weeks ago. It was dealer maintained in Columbia SC at Wray VW. I don't believe that they deal in a lot of TDI's, but I got all the records on the car, and the guy at the service dept said they used the spec synthetics. Do you think it is worth having a sample of the oil in the car now sent off for analysis? What problems are people seeing when dealers use the wrong oils? I have been wanting a TDI for over a year now, and this is the first one I found with a reasonable sticker price so I had to jump because I was first on an ever growing list of people interested.

Bryan

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
you'll hear all sorts of varying opinions of what "can" or "will" occur with the use of the wrong oil. if i were you, the first thing i would do is a little espionage: call the dealer's service dept. without identifying yourself and ask them what kind of oil they use for your car. specifically, ask them the spec. they should reply, 505.01. most dealers use castrol txt. just say you are curious b/c your manual stresses a specific oil.

i don't know that sending your oil off for analysis would tell you what kind of oil is currently in the car. it would just tell you if the oil is spent or not. for peace of mind, you could just go ahead and change the oil, if you have any doubts. if you do it yourself, it will cost you about $40-45, after ordering oil and filter. if you get it done at the dealership, it will cost you btwn $65-$100 or more; it seems every dealer charges differently.

beetle98

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle TDi
bigez you scared me for a minute i was ignorant to the 505.01 oil as recomended in my owners manual but went up to super lube this morning they had put the valvoline full synthetic which on the bottle says vw 505.01 spec i would think this should be ok what do you think. One other question dad just got a 2005 Passat 2.0l pd how is yours with rc2 did it fix the little lag right at the beging when you first get rolling. He is in warranty so we ordered the loader from kerma still in the works hopefully have it in a week or so. thanks chad

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
the only valvoline which has been vw 505.01 CERTIFIED is Valvoline DuraBlend Diesel which, unless things have changed recently, is not sold in the US. my bet is that your place is using the wrong oil.

there are many oils out there (maybe valvoline included) which claim to MEET or SATISFY the 505.01 requirement. however, unless the oil is officially vw 505.01 CERTIFIED, it is not the right oil. here is a link to a post which contains the most recent list of vwoa approved oils, and which specs they meet:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1648005&postcount=40