worth owning a vag-com?

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
Wondering the opinion on others. I've read a lot about enabling the auto wipers and auto window closing. I would like to try these out on my Passat when it gets here, but a quick search doesn't show anyone local to me with a vag-com to use. So my questions is, is it worth purchasing one for these modifications and whatever other modifications may come up, or am I wasting my money and should I dig deeper into finding someone locally with one?

schoolcb

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just took the plunge. Bought it to service the DSG. Figure on this one repair it has paid for itself, and now I have it when I need it to replace the timing belt.

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
It's probably worth noting that I don't do any car maintenance myself, so I would only really be using it for tweaks.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Well at $250 each it's not cheap but it seems to be the best first VW specific tools to buy as it will work on more than one model and is upgradable. I would think you need some training to use it also. I have been looking around but used ones are almost the same amount so if you don't like it you won't take a complete hosing if you dump it.

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
It's probably worth noting that I don't do any car maintenance myself, so I would only really be using it for tweaks.
I found a local shop that does my tweaks for about $30 per visit.. That's about 8 tweaks to break even... but if you let a pro do it, there is a little chance of bricking your car ....

I suppose you can resell the software and cable....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
also soon as your car is out of warranty and you have an issue first thing thats need is to pull codes, dealers charge up to $100 for the same thing you can do with the vagcom.

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
also soon as your car is out of warranty and you have an issue first thing thats need is to pull codes, dealers charge up to $100 for the same thing you can do with the vagcom.
How would that save me money when I need to take it to the dealer to have the work done in the end?

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
How would that save me money when I need to take it to the dealer to have the work done in the end?
Well you will have an idea what to fix or look for as it doesn't always get it exactly right. Also not all dealers are created equals and may do a lot of part guessing at your expense. If your the kind of guy that just clicks away in your computer and does not think it has ramifications then this is not for you.
You always find a Guru like mentioned above. But for me I like to know first before I take it in for repairs otherwise I'm at their mercy.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Knowledge is power, you could always hand them the codes and say fix it, then they shouldn't charge you that $100 bucks.

Many times on older MK4s, turbo actutors went bad, thew a code for bad turbo, dealer read code, and told customer they needed a whole new turbo, when infact it was just the actuator that was needed.

Plus you don't have to take the car to the dealer if you don't want to. I'd say a vagcom is just as important as torx bits and tripple squares if you intend on keeping the car out of warranty and want to do your own work.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
VCDS is not just for tweaks and maintenance, it's also for the unexpected. Here's one example of VCDS value: Last month broke down on highway 300 miles from home. VCDS pinpointed the EGR circuit. Thanks to this forum I already knew unplugging the EGR will get me back on the road. So 10 minutes later I'm back on the road with no driveability issues. Oh, and a week later I fixed the problem for $0. Without VCDS I would have paid for a tow truck, then paid a dealer ~$600 for a new EGR, only to find out later it was a bad ground. I won't even speculate what other parts a dealer would continue to swap-out... my guess is until I stopped returning to the dealer.

Visiting the dealer for all maintenance and repairs has caused many TDI members to leave the nameplate altogether. As previously mentioned, the majority of dealerships don't have a good TDI service track record -- swapping part after part until fixed (at your expense, of course), as opposed to performing diagnostic procedures. Granted, there are good TDI technicians out there, but how will you know? Asking your dealership? Good luck with that.

If you're a 'drive til broke' type, a TDI is not for you. However, the superb alternative is a local TDI guru, who will do the work cheaper and better than the majority of dealerships.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Even so, it will pay for itself over time when you call your dealer or other service provider and supply them with the service codes instead of just saying "my check engine light is on." You'll almost always get a better price and more respect since you will have communicated that you have some understanding of what is going on, and probably know your options. Also, you can shop around if you know, for example, that you just need to replace a certain sensor or other part. As far as making tweaks, they are not as simple as you might think, since you will, in some cases, be recoding sequences in the car's digital DNA, rather than just toggling switches.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I firmly believe that every VW owner should either own VCDS or have a friend that does. It will pay for itself over time in more than one way. VW dealers charge between $100 and $150 just to read your fault codes, so 2 or 3 faults over the life of your car and VCDS is free. Plus, if you put your contact information on one of the VCDS owner finder lists, you will get requests for help from other VW owners. I do not charge for helping others, but many (most) VW owners have insisted that I accept "donations" for helping them. They have given me anywhere between $10 to $40 for making simple tweeks or reading fault codes (a lot cheaper than the dealer). It will only take a few more of these help cases and my HEX+CAN cable will be paid for. This doesn't even count the changes and upgrades I have made to my own car. Considering what it can do, and considering that the VW factory scan tool is over $3,000 (IIRC) - VCDS is really quite cheap at $250 or even $350. It would be a bargain at twice the price (but don't tell Ross-Tech this:rolleyes:).

Have Fun!

Don