Cage for our Jetta Wagon

Tortuga

TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS, 2003, Red
Hi there;
We are expecting delivery of our Jetta Wagon (TDi, GLS with the works:)) in about a month or so, and we haven't had much luck with finding info about cargo cages, y'know, those partitions that separate the hatch cargo area from the back seat. I saw on the VW site that they have one which appears to need hardware (and screwing into the trim, is that right?) to be installed, plus it doesn't look worth the price. I've seen some nice ones around, in the back of Subarus and Focii, and thought I'd see if there are people out here who can help us find a good one for the 2003 wgn. We have two wonderful dogs who would just jump at the chance to scratch up and puke on the new leather, and much as we love them, we'd rather they didn't.

Clueless One

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Do you get any of the pet catalogs? Places like PetSmart, and Dr. Smiths carry the pet barriers. Some are a one size fits all. Using rubber suction cups on spring loaded rods to keep it in place.

Tortuga

TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS, 2003, Red
Thanks for the advice Clueless One, and the links MITBeta--I'll definitely invest in some harnesses and the cargo barrier (and probably the mat they sell as well, since I can get all those for the cost of that ONE crappy barrier they sell on the VW product site) and I found the perfect belated Christmas present for my Dad:horn with PA to harrass other motorists. Woo-hoo! Everybody wins, thanks again!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Originally posted by MITBeta:
If you love them, you will belt them in the car...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Works great with dogs. But cats are not very receptive to those devices. I bought my cargo barrier at PetSmart. I use thick cardboard between the cage and the headliner to prevent divots from forming. I fold the seat down (Jetta) and give them the run of the back of the car. Then they can use the litter box, sleep in their carriers, or lounge in the back window. I had one close call on the highway which caused me to swerve. One got scared and pissed herself. But no one was injured. Sure, they may be screwed in an accident (then again, I'll bet they can hold on tight with those claws in all but a serious accident). But I'll have bigger things to worry about if I enter a situation like that.

[ December 30, 2002, 19:22: Message edited by: Stealth TDI ]

Dmorocco

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon GLS, Silver
I have the universal type that fosters and smith sells. screw tension holds it in place, only problem is that it limits access to the cargo area under the rear floor (spare tire area) I too thought about the vw barrier (which wasn't available when i got my wagon) but for the money its a bit crazy. I'm in the process of altering the cage so i can more easily access the storage area and to stop some rattling of the cage as well