Three Way Transmission Swap

N519AT

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
So I picked up a 2003 Jetta Sedan TDI with a bad 01M Transmission. Got some advice on where to source manual transmissions (6 speed!) on here, and now I have an interesting idea.

I also own a 2003 Jetta Wagon with a 5 speed. I was thinking about putting the transmission from it into the Sedan, and putting a 6 speed in the Wagon. Essentially a three way swap.

Anyone done anything like this before? Any special considerations I might have to make to make all of this work?

TIA

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
Your gonna need a short shifter for the auto, or a replacement PS hose, other than the obvious needs. Otherwise its relatively straight forward.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
S
I also own a 2003 Jetta Wagon with a 5 speed. I was thinking about putting the transmission from it into the Sedan, and putting a 6 speed in the Wagon. Essentially a three way swap.
Anyone done anything like this before? Any special considerations I might have to make to make all of this work?
Actually I did something similar a while back. I put a 6 speed in a 5 speed wagon and sold the 5 speed bits to a friend with an auto wagon. Really, you are doing 2 swaps. I would put the 6 speed (just to make sure, it is a TDI 6 speed, correct?) in the wagon first. You will need all the correct 6 speed bits, axles, trans mount, flywheel & clutch, etc. You will use all the removed 5 speed pieces when you convert the auto. I would remove the 5 speed power steering line from the wagon and use it in the auto swap. Some have bent the auto PS line to fit the 6 speed, but I was never happy with mine. I took the auto PS line and had a local hydraulic hose place install a rubber line in the center. That way you can route it as you like. Here is a thread I did on my car, if you look at post 34 you will see the PS line. I might also suggest swapping the 5 speed clutch line with the other bits and getting or making a new hose for the 6 speed without the accumulator.
You can use the shifter and cables from the 5 speed on the 6 speed, although it may be a good time to replace the shifter bushings. Once the 6 speed is in, you should have a complete 5 speed swap kit, less the clutch pedal, shifter and cables, etc. You can easily source those from a salvage yard as gasser parts are the same. With the 6 speed in the wagon, I would swap the 11mm auto injection pump as well unless you already have one. Of course it's even nicer with a turbo, tune, injectors, exhaust........:D

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
just transfer all the wagon's five speed parts to the sedan, including the power steering line... you can use the sedan's auto PS line with the six speed swap in your wagon...just takes a little tweaking (stretching the top S bend) and it fits perfect no short shifter required

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
Not a requirement. Jackstands and a low profile tranny jack work just fine.
If you get one of these, ditch the strap and ratchet. They just get in the way.
https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html
Yeah I know it's doable and I'm just finishing up on an auto manual swap. Just a pita dicking around with the exhaust on your back etc. I also changed all 4 power steering lines for newer ones (which I painted), from what I can tell appears to be a weak point on these cars in the rust belt... and modified the exhaust, so that added some extra work. I didn't even bother with a tranny jack etc... I had a jack (not low profile) under it but found it was just getting in the way so I just let the scrap tranny hit the floor, which had a piece of cardboard on it. I found the driver side axle doesn't even have to be removed. just take off the sway bar link to clear it. The manual tranny doesn't weigh as much. I'm debating if I should bench press it in or use a hoist from the top.

I'm just sayin to do 2 of em, definitely some work involved... maybe I'm just a slow worker heh.

Last edited: