2015 Passat TDI oil quanity 4.5 QT?

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
2015 Passat TDI CVCA EA288 how do I get an updated page for the owners manual to correct the error? Correct 5.8 QT

Thanks

Lloyd

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Failing any official information, do your oil change on a level surface. Then fill until the oil is at the top mark on the dipstick. That'll tell you how much oil it takes.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
Failing any official information, do your oil change on a level surface. Then fill until the oil is at the top mark on the dipstick. That'll tell you how much oil it takes.
Or, you could heed the advice already given by someone that actually has a EA288 powered car, and has completed 11 oil changes while owning it. For some mysterious reason, it takes six quarts every time.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
For some mysterious reason, it takes six quarts every time.

That's because 1 liter equals 34 ounces US liquid !!! Unless I'm mistaken, even in the USA you buy oil by the liter and not quarts! Most of the world is metric !

( 1 L = 33.813484 ounces ) to be exact !

Last edited:

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
That's because 1 liter equals 34 ounces US liquid !!! Unless I'm mistaken, even in the USA you buy oil by the liter and not quarts! Most of the world is metric !

( 1 L = 33.813484 ounces ) to be exact !
Thanks for the lesson. If you read my unedited post, you will find that it begins with "5.7 liters". Additionally, the OP is from Iowa and is likely comfortable with quarts, which remain very common when it comes to oil containers in the heartland of the USA.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Thanks for the lesson. If you read my unedited post, you will find that it begins with "5.7 liters". Additionally, the OP is from Iowa and is likely comfortable with quarts, which remain very common when it comes to oil containers in the heartland of the USA.

What brand of 504/507 approved oil comes in quarts?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I don't use 504/507. The question is irrelevant since I gave him capacities in both liters and quarts.

What oil do you use in the 2015CR in your sig?
And I hope the OP does follow the manufactures recommendations rather than thinking he knows more about oil then VW does.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
What brand of 504/507 approved oil comes in quarts?

The Castrol at the dealer (Edge Professional LL03) as well as Total Quartz Ineo. Generally speaking, the oils made in the US come in quarts and the ones made in Europe come in liters.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
What oil do you use in the 2015CR in your sig?
And I hope the OP does follow the manufactures recommendations rather than thinking he knows more about oil then VW does.
You endeavor weakly to entertain. I won't play along.

VW demonstrated how deep their corporate knowledge went in the lubrication arena when they came out with PD engines AND the silly 505.01 oil spec. The suggestion that a thin 30 weight oil could keep those silly, narrow cam lobes from contacting the followers resulted in many damaged engines.

I will make the decisions regarding protecting my engines, not blindly trust VW.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The Castrol at the dealer (Edge Professional LL03) as well as Total Quartz Ineo. Generally speaking, the oils made in the US come in quarts and the ones made in Europe come in liters.
Well alright.......:eek::eek::eek: I have not used either one of those, the dealer has used Castrol in my car but they buy the Castrol in 55 gal drums. The Castrol 507 oil I bought in 2010 came in 1 liter bottles.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

VW demonstrated how deep their corporate knowledge went in the lubrication arena when they came out with PD engines AND the silly 505.01 oil spec. The suggestion that a thin 30 weight oil could keep those silly, narrow cam lobes from contacting the followers resulted in many damaged engines.

I will make the decisions regarding protecting my engines, not blindly trust VW.

Touche!
You already have played along!

I guess you don't like a challange eh?
VW's silly, narrow cam lobes are an engineing fault on VW's part yet you bought another VW TDI without considering that VW may have made another engineering mistake. Oil aside.
OK, it is not my call not to use 507 spec oil maybe yours but I have not heard of any CR engine failure or shortened lifespan due to VW spec 504/507 oils. Have You?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Yeah cause the CRD is exactly the same as a PD ;)

While it's great to question somethings, making blatant miscorrelations between engine designs doesn't make much sense to me.

Either way, as long as the oil will keep the DPF healthy you're starting off on a good foot.