60,000 mile air filter replacement

StLouisMO

TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Was looking through the maintenance schedule and was surprised to see that VW recommends the air filter be replaced at 60k miles. Not used to seeing such a long duration on an air filter replacement. I haven't opened up the air filter intake to look at the filter. Has anyone checked it out.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Yes. I am ecstatic about it. These VW TDI's are robust engines. I think you should leave it alone... let the filter do its job.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Went from 30, to 40, now 60k. Given that much of your engine's intake air is actually coming from the exhaust during much of its operation, it makes sense that the filter would be OK for that long.

Keep in mind, manufacturers cannot give a precise time/mileage for air filter replacement for every engine, given that they are not all operated the same, under the same conditions. So this is one of those items that is usually given plenty of margin for error. I've seen some REALLY dirty air filters in older TDIs, that had clearly gone well beyond the recommended interval, and they were still running OK.

I'd not lose any sleep over it. You know, there are Ford Focuses that have a "lifetime" air filter. By lifetime, they mean 120k miles, and at that point you must replace the entire $400 air cleaner assembly.:eek:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Many here will tell you not to open it up to check, as some claim it's a "one-time" seal that may be compromised.
If you want to change it earlier, go ahead. It's not a huge amount of $$$, although you're probably wasting it! The filtering is better with time, and there's so much area, air flow just isn't a problem.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Many here will tell you not to open it up to check, as some claim it's a "one-time" seal that may be compromised...
I'm in this camp. Don't open it unless you are replacing it.
Some people have used a "filter minder" that measures the pressure drop across the filter continuouosly and gives a visual indication of when the filter should be changed.