Phase 2 Dealership Experience

usr_bin

TDI
2004 Jetta
Resurrecting this thread because I also need phase 2 done in the DC area. I've always used Ourisman but they have gone way downhill. Has everybody who had King do it been happy?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Resurrecting this thread because I also need phase 2 done in the DC area. I've always used Ourisman but they have gone way downhill. Has everybody who had King do it been happy?
My Jetta has now been at Ourisman Bethesda for 2 weeks.....this is there 2nd Manual Transmission Car.....Pissed right now and it took 3 weeks to get a start date!

AVM62

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 speed manual
King did my manual transmission 2015 Passat, I’m very happy with them. I’m happy with the Phase two fix as well.

Z48LT1

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT, sold back to VW under Dieselgate, 2015 GSW 6MT, bought new in 2017
Bought my new 2015 GSW with Phase 1 correction from Napleton's VW in Orlando in Spring of 2017 after selling back my 2014 Jetta SW TDI for a minor profit a few months earlier. Last week went to Prestige VW in Melbourne after getting a letter in the mail and calling for an appointment for the Phase II repair. Loaner was a new Tiguan. Install took less than a day including my first service. No issues at all. Couldn't be happier.

Cheers - Gary

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
My son’s visit to Harper VW in Knoxville was a case study in why folks don’t trust dealer service departments. The car runs fine after the phase 2 fix...no problems. But he also asked them to patch a very slow leak in right front tire. They came back and said the tire couldn’t be patched and a new one would cost $350. I found out about it, told them hell no. Then they conned him into a new set of windshield wipers for $55. You can be sure, he and I talked about it on the trip over to the local tire shop to patch the tire for $10.

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
$55 sounds about right for the VW OEM blades. I always used them as they worked better than the aftermarket ones.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
$55 sounds about right for the VW OEM blades. I always used them as they worked better than the aftermarket ones.
I am also a big fan of the OEM blades. They last much longer and do a much better job than the cheaper ones at the auto parts store.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
I am also a big fan of the OEM blades. They last much longer and do a much better job than the cheaper ones at the auto parts store.
Agreed. Also, very few aftermarket blades available for the new type connector.

Ronner

TDI
New 2015 Golf TDI dsg
Pfaff in Newmarket was seamless today for the Phase 2 fix on my Golf tdi. Dropped off at 8:30am and was told it could be 2 or 3 days so I got the rental Audi A4 for an extra 10 bucks/day. Do not think I would fit into a Chevy Spark. Also asked for the radio software update as it got annoying after a year of dealing with the 85.7 thing a couple times a week. They called me up at 5 o'clock to tell me it was ready. I'll be sure to re-post if there are any significant issues or changes in performance/reliability. Cheers.

P.S. The Audi was nice but I could have 2 Golfs for the same price as 1 A4. Not gonna happen!

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
Is everyone else waiting months for their VW dealers to carry out phase 2 completed on their cars? Is my VW dealer jerking me around and should I move on to another VW dealer? Here is my situation...

In early July 2018 I scheduled an appointment through my dealer's website to get phase 2 performed on my 2015 Passat TDI. They immediately sent an e-mail saying they canceled my appointment because the parts first need to be ordered, it will take 3 to 4 weeks for the parts to arrive, and they will telephone me after the parts arrive.

In mid August 2018 they still had not called me or e-mailed me. I replied to the e-mail asking if the parts were in yet, and they said I was still on the list and to be patient.

Now it is mid October 2018. Still no contact from the dealer. So today I drove to the dealer to see what was going on. The service manager said two customers' cars were on the list ahead of mine, then it will be my turn, and they will call me in another 4 to 6 weeks. They explained the delay is because parts are hard to get and all the VW dealers are trying to get them.

Meanwhile the dealer has 11 TDIs for sale in their inventory at this location, which they must have performed phases 1 and 2 on them. If parts for doing the diesel fix are hard to find, then I'm curious how they get the parts for these 11 cars.

Grady

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta
Log into your account at the VW Claims Portal and enable the Chat session. You should be able to resolve this fairly quickly.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
My daughter called the dealer Monday morning to schedule Phase 2. They had her come in at 10:30 that morning, with promise of being done Tuesday. (Actually took till today;They found 2 unrelated leaks in the process, both covered under powertrain warranty). You need a better dealer.

Last edited:

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I’m going to set up my stage 2 appointment next week. I’m just at 59,000 miles so I figured I would do it now so I can get a free oil change while I’m there. Hope this will make my trip gauge a bit more accurate because it’s 4+- mpg off.

twinflyer17

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
I’m going to set up my stage 2 appointment next week. I’m just at 59,000 miles so I figured I would do it now so I can get a free oil change while I’m there. Hope this will make my trip gauge a bit more accurate because it’s 4+- mpg off.
Where does it say you get a free oil change with the phase 2 fix? I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find it in anything I have. Also, dropped my 15' Jetta manual off yesterday for the fix and got a phone call this afternoon saying the needed part is on back order. Apparently the fix needs to be completed by Dec 31 or we don't get compensation; however, none of the paperwork I last received stated this date. How are we supposed to get this done in a timely fashion if VW doesn't even have the damn parts? Been super happy with this whole thing up until now...

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
My dealer called me back today after I call them and didn’t get an answer. They told me they have everything to do phase two, so I made my appointment for Thursday. They said it would take eight hours so I asked for a loaner. I did not ask about the oil change but I will bring it up to them with paperwork on Thursday morning when I drop the car off.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
My dealer charged me $150 for an oil change during my phase 2. After I found this thread I phoned them up, they said it’s not true. I sent them a link of the court settlement document. After they reviewed it they said next oil change is on them, and refused to refund me.

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Don’t you have to have opted for the fix instead of the buyback to get the free oil change? Or have bought from someone who opted for the fix instead of the buyback. That is what the document linked above says. If you purchased a car that was previously bought back, or one that was “new old stock” you don’t get it.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
The dealer didn't change my oil because they said I had to wait a few days till after the fix to make sure everything was fine. I asked if I could pay to just get it done regardless. He said I could do that and the free one will be good for next time. I'm going to see if I can get that in writing, if not, then I'm going to try to go later on this year to do it. I'll put on about 5k miles by the end of the year with my current driving, and with a road trip we plan to do.

I guess I should have just waited, but I didn't want to go back in a few days because I wouldn't have a chance, then don't know when I could make it to change my oil.

If they don't give me a free oil change, then I'll call VW to see if there is anything they can do. If not, I guess I'm just SOL and it's my fault.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
Thank you to those that provided input to my situation.

I contacted a representative VW Claims Portal and explained my experiences. They said to contact other local dealerships for scheduling the job and consider using another dealership, then contact them again afterward to provide an update. As far as the delays they said that could be a regional issue and they did not know for sure, but contacting other dealerships would help confirm or deny the issue.

So I contacted the service department at a second local VW dealership and the person there handling the TDI recalls said they could schedule my car for 26 and 27 Dec 2018. I don't want to choose a date within a few days of the deadline or maybe miss out due to a weather emergency such as a major snowfall in the area. So it may be a shortage of kits for doing the job.

Next I contacted the service department at a third local VW dealership and one of the service advisors said they could schedule that day, give me a free loaner car, and have the work completed in about 1 week. But I do not want to use this dealership because they are part of a dealership family in the area notorious for decades of unethical practices in their sales and service departments across the board. The few times I was a customer at their dealerships were all very bad experiences. How they are still operating is beyond me. So I put the option to use them for my job on hold.

Lastly I contacted the service department at a first local VW dealership (again). They scheduled me for the last week of Nov 2018. The service advisor explained they put a low priority on recall and warranty jobs because it takes longer to get reimbursed from VW then it takes to get paid for ordinary jobs by customers paying with their credit cards. I guess that makes sense. I will use them for my job. So it may not be a shortage of kits for doing the job.

Is everyone else waiting months for their VW dealers to carry out phase 2 completed on their cars? Is my VW dealer jerking me around and should I move on to another VW dealer? Here is my situation...

In early July 2018 I scheduled an appointment through my dealer's website to get phase 2 performed on my 2015 Passat TDI. They immediately sent an e-mail saying they canceled my appointment because the parts first need to be ordered, it will take 3 to 4 weeks for the parts to arrive, and they will telephone me after the parts arrive.

In mid August 2018 they still had not called me or e-mailed me. I replied to the e-mail asking if the parts were in yet, and they said I was still on the list and to be patient.

Now it is mid October 2018. Still no contact from the dealer. So today I drove to the dealer to see what was going on. The service manager said two customers' cars were on the list ahead of mine, then it will be my turn, and they will call me in another 4 to 6 weeks. They explained the delay is because parts are hard to get and all the VW dealers are trying to get them.

Meanwhile the dealer has 11 TDIs for sale in their inventory at this location, which they must have performed phases 1 and 2 on them. If parts for doing the diesel fix are hard to find, then I'm curious how they get the parts for these 11 cars.

twinflyer17

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Okay, I'm officially pissed off now. It's been three weeks since I took my 2015 Jetta to the dealership to get my second emissions mod completed - mind you, this was after they said they could immediately fit it in and they had a loaner for me. As previously stated, they called me the next day to say that they actually couldn't even start the mod because they didn't have the parts and VW is saying the parts are on back order.

So, officially three weeks since and I still haven't heard back from the dealer, I decided to call them. They stated that parts have been slowly trickling in, but they are fixing others before mine? Now this confuses me a bit because three weeks ago they could fit my car in immediately, leading me to believe that no other TDIs were in the queue, and now that parts are on 'back order', they all of a sudden have other TDIs being fixed before mine? So, just to make sure these guys weren't completely screwing me, I called another (more reputable) deal about a hour north of me. They looked into it and also said they can't get the parts either and I should just wait until the other dealer receives them.

Now, seeing as the deadline to complete the fix is about 6.5 weeks away, I decided I'd make my first call to the VW claims number. Talk about a joke. I stated the issue (back ordered parts) and they said they would have to refer my concern to their dealership department so that THEY could reach out to the dealer to determine the issue. WHAT?? How the hell can VW say they don't know why parts are on back order and THEN say they are going to reach out to the dealer to identify the issue?! Shouldn't they know that parts aren't available?? Especially when this is a court ordered fix?? Then, when I stated that I'm concerned the parts won't be available for my car to be fixed by the 30 Dec deadline, the women then stated that I'd have to submit an appeal and the deadline for that is 19 Jan.

Is anyone else running into these types of issues?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Only some of those that waited until the last minute to do the turn in/fix. Not really anything you can do but try and keep up with them and push them as much as possible to get it finished. Be civil and keep in touch with the dealer service department and contact the appeals group just in case. Also the attorneys handling the case. Getting angry with them won't help your case at all so make sure you manage that.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Wait, I’m sorry, I thought I had this all down but now I’m confused. For cars that have had phase 1 already, like my new old sale 2015 Golf, phase 2 must be completed by end of December?? Or is that just if you file for settlement $$? My car doesn’t qualify.

Last edited:

twinflyer17

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Only some of those that waited until the last minute to do the turn in/fix. Not really anything you can do but try and keep up with them and push them as much as possible to get it finished. Be civil and keep in touch with the dealer service department and contact the appeals group just in case. Also the attorneys handling the case. Getting angry with them won't help your case at all so make sure you manage that.
Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that the fix must be completed by the end of December in order to get the final 1/3 of the payment. None of the documentation I received, or the e-mail I got back in May stating that phase 2 was available, mentioned December as the deadline. I decided to wait until October to get the fix done because that's when I became ready for an oil change, as it was stated in one of the settlement documents that this would be done during phase 2.

I'm regretting waiting so long now, as there was no other reason than saving $100 on an oil change. My luck that decision is going to cost me $2k. :(

Haven't gotten angry with VW out loud yet. Planning to stay on them, though, and will be reaching out to the lawyers and appeals group if I don't hear anything by the end of this week.

twinflyer17

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Wait, I’m sorry, I thought I had this all down but now I’m confused. For cars that have had phase 1 already, like my new old sale 2015 Golf, phase 2 must be completed by end of December?? Or is that just if you file for settlement $$? My car doesn’t qualify.
VW will complete the fix anytime after Dec for free, but if you qualify for money you must complete phase 2 by then in order to be paid. Otherwise you'll lose out on the payment. You're fine if you don't qualify.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
VW will complete the fix anytime after Dec for free, but if you qualify for money you must complete phase 2 by then in order to be paid. Otherwise you'll lose out on the payment. You're fine if you don't qualify.
What about warranty if done after December?

twinflyer17

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
My read of the settlement paperwork is that the warranty won't be affected if the fix is completed after Dec. I can't say I've read all the fine print, though, so don't hold me to that.