2013 Passat Remote Start

Pods

TDI
Passat
Love my car but the remote start has a short distance range... My wife not happy when everyone in the office she works in has the range to start their cars and she gets into cold car.. Dealer says its working just fine:confused:. She refuses to drive it on a cold day because everyone laughs that her car only one in parking lot not started and warmed up. So she drives the Buick enclave to work and it has 3x the range.. Any one else?

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Use Onstar to start your Enclave from across the world!

Eh, I don't use the remote start on my car. It wastes fuel. The double start bothers me mentally. The cabin warms up quickly with the auxiliary electric heater when driving. Replace the battery? Try the other remote?

Last edited:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Wouldn't expect any oem remote to have much range, especially anywhere with interference signals. Go aftermarket and get one with range, and imo the even more important feature of two way com so you know the vehicle started. Plus you won't have the ridiculous starter kill when the door opens.

Last edited:

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
Wow what a bunch of pretentious D bags your wife works with. they go as far as laughing at her? I would tell them to fuhk off. Also she wont drive the car because of this? This sounds like a case of princess syndrome.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Wow...just wow...parking lots full of cars idling so the driver can get into a warm car...how sad...and smelly...

Pods

TDI
Passat
Remote Start purpose

Wow...just wow...parking lots full of cars idling so the driver can get into a warm car...how sad...and smelly...
Thats what the remote start option is for isnt it... too warm up the car in cold conditions and not hurt the engine from taking off before oil gets lubrication viscosity?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Thats what the remote start option is for isnt it... too warm up the car in cold conditions and not hurt the engine from taking off before oil gets lubrication viscosity?
Start your car and drive off gently.... you won't harm the car and if you are running the right OIL it has the right viscosity....

Bill

Pods

TDI
Passat
Decoration?

Start your car and drive off gently.... you won't harm the car and if you are running the right OIL it has the right viscosity....

Bill
SO the remote start option VW has included in the price is a useless feature? Warming the oil and coolant up sure seems to be a better option to me...but I have been wrong before:confused: I guess I could have been taught wrong:confused:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
IMHO, remote start is a feature for extreme temps only, not for folks in 25-50f temps that will start their cars from their living rooms, eat breakfast, and 20 minutes later go out and drive to work. It has been turned into a luxury item to continue isolating us from the realities of weather.
Enormous waste of resources, increase in (suburban) pollution, useless wear and tear on any IC engine (designed to be operated under load). Even in extreme low temps, better to start and roll, driving gently.
Remote start is an American novelty that is seen everywhere else in the world for what it is: wasteful and completely self-centered, yet another American "entitlement".

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
SO the remote start option VW has included in the price is a useless feature? Warming the oil and coolant up sure seems to be a better option to me...but I have been wrong before:confused: I guess I could have been taught wrong:confused:
First diesel? At idle the CR will warm up by.....oh....say......the 1st of not in this lifetime

The only thing you'll get is the aux heater, which would be the same as if you got in & drove it. Bundle up, crank on the aux heater, turn on the bun warmers...............and stop listening to the d-bags in the office (better yet find another job w/ fewer *sshats)

IMHO, remote start is a feature for extreme temps only, not for folks in 25-50f temps that will start their cars from their living rooms, eat breakfast, and 20 minutes later go out and drive to work. It has been turned into a luxury item to continue isolating us from the realities of weather.
Enormous waste of resources, increase in (suburban) pollution, useless wear and tear on any IC engine (designed to be operated under load). Even in extreme low temps, better to start and roll, driving gently.
Remote start is an American novelty that is seen everywhere else in the world for what it is: wasteful and completely self-centered, yet another American "entitlement".
Top five posts......ever! Someone carve this in stone :D

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man

Remote start is a feature that can be detrimental to a diesel, unless you like wetstacking. Diesels are so efficient at idle they don't create heat like a gas model. It's really only good to idle a diesel for short times, and then at a high idle. Start the car, buckle your belt, check your mirrors and ease away!

See above!

Yes, the remote start on the Passat is a creature comfort, so it's pretty much worthless. It will not make an appreciable difference in cabin temp or coolant temp. What it does is make people like your wife feel good about the ability to go from a warm/cool office to a warm/cool car...and look cool in the process. It also ruins economy, is one more thing to go wrong in the overall scheme of things and adds cost to the car.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Yes, it is worthless and added just so they can have a long list of "extras." Pure marketing to a certain demographic that thinks they need a nice, warm car to spare them the trauma of living. :)

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
tdiatlast said:
Not what a bunch of Canadians, Norewegians, Russians and Swedes I know think. Then again people who live north or the 59th parallel think different.

sincerely an ex Alaskan. :p

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You should see the car line at pickup time at my kids' school. Dismissal starts at 3, and I've been there at 2 for meetings and there are already a couple of cars sitting there, idling away. By 2:45 the line is almost out to the street. (I try to swoop in at 3:15 or so, when the initial rush is over - I hate idling any more than absolutely necessary.)

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Remote starting any car is a driver/occupant luxury/convenience only. It provides more harm than good. I generally start my cars and drive away when the idle falls below 1000rpm.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
It would be wonderful if Americans were guilty of being the only over indulged people in the world, but this statement is patently false! Where do you get your facts from? How many different countries have you lived in?

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
It would be wonderful if Americans were guilty of being the only over indulged people in the world, but this statement is patently false! Where do you get your facts from? How many different countries have you lived in?
It might not be 100% a fact but I have lived in other countries and have traveled the world. That being said it is a sad fact that we are the most over-indulgent and entitled people in the world. Yes the people of Dubai are worse than we are but, their sheer lack of numbers make them a non-competitor for most over zealous nation.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
It might not be 100% a fact but I have lived in other countries and have traveled the world. That being said it is a sad fact that we are the most over-indulgent and entitled people in the world. Yes the people of Dubai are worse than we are but, their sheer lack of numbers make them a non-competitor for most over zealous nation.
It is a fact that Americans are not the ONLY people that have remote starts on their vehicles, end of! Remote starts are also NOT an entitlement, as some want to portray.

Are we overindulged as a society, absolutely. That goes from the top to the bottom of the pay scale!

tdila

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have tried this remote starting feature in some colder mornings (20s or below). I found it's useful in making the subsequent start easier and the initial drive away smoother. It didn't get the cabin temp up much, but it did clear up the frost in the back window.The signal can go through the thick garage door. I'd say it's a nice little feature tohave when you need it.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

Not a useless feature, a convenience feature.

Motor oil has changed a lot since I was a kid too. :)

Bill

BevoBurn96

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Love my car but the remote start has a short distance range... My wife not happy when everyone in the office she works in has the range to start their cars and she gets into cold car.. Dealer says its working just fine:confused:. She refuses to drive it on a cold day because everyone laughs that her car only one in parking lot not started and warmed up. So she drives the Buick enclave to work and it has 3x the range.. Any one else?
I have to agree, the remote start range seems to be very short, or my new car/key fob came with weak batteries. I've got to be within 20 ft of the car for it to start. Not enough time for it to cool or heat as I'm walking across the parking lot (unlike other vehicles with 100+ ft range) from the office. VW should rethink this as it is disappointing for new owners.

GeekDrew

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have to agree, the remote start range seems to be very short, or my new car/key fob came with weak batteries. I've got to be within 20 ft of the car for it to start. Not enough time for it to cool or heat as I'm walking across the parking lot (unlike other vehicles with 100+ ft range) from the office. VW should rethink this as it is disappointing for new owners.
For what it's worth, I've used my fob to remote start my car from more than 100 ft away. If you have to be within 20ft for your remote start to work, then IMO you have a fault somewhere.

Scorpo900

TDI
Golf 2011 4D
Yes a great one I might add, when in very hot weather you can at least cool the car with AC a little so you don't burn your butt on the fake leather of your seats...

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

FarmboyH

Car net app

2014 Sel premium remote start has a very short starting range and car net app does not even have a remote start feature... OnStar has this feature for years...

Pods

TDI
Passat
Car net

No remote start feature with VWs new car net app for Iphone? WOW!!! behind in times VW...

Last edited:

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Perhaps a deliberate opt out? I know a few cars in our area were stolen due to these apps and the theirs were able to easily get the car running.

How? I have no idea, but the RCMP seem to know about it.

Regards

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Good luck trying to steal a Passat in remote start mode without a tow truck. ;)