interior leak from sunroof drains

pazam

TDI
MK4 golf AHF
hey guys,
i have a 09 golf (mk6) and the sunroof drain is leaking inside .. i can clearly see that when i pour water into the drain it leaks on the drivers side (left) on my left corner, it comes from somewhere behind the dash
does anyone have the sketch of the sunroof drain lines (tubes) so maybe i could find out where it was disconnected ?? also if its a common problem (with this specific location) if someone had it fixed and could give me a game plan that would be great! thanks you guys!!!!

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
I've fixed the rear drains on my JSW; I haven't investigated the fronts yet.
Seems like it's a common problem; a search will turn up lots of info.
The drain tube connections aren't waterproof, so if there is any blockage (dirt) the drain will back up and leak.

Here's a diagram of the drain tube routing:
Pano Roof Drains

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
To gain access to the bottom of the drain pipe located on the A-pillar you have to pop the hood, remove windscreen wipers and the plastic cowling. This should open up access to the cavity where the pipe transitions through the body and where you'll see a restrictor put in place from the factory. If debris has settled in there and you drains haven't been cleaned regularly there's a chance they will be blocked up, resulting in water leaking at the lower connection (like your experiencing) or water will fill the pipe and it will leak at the top connection during long periods of rain.

VicGuy did a great write up when he fixed his rear pano drains, I would use his method for reattaching the pipe at both connections to ensure a water tight fit. Also while you're at it, you should simply remove the restrictors which should lower the chances of the of the small diameter pipe and drain getting overwhelmed during periods of heavy rain or if you're parked on an uneven slope which forces water primarily towards only one drain.

Good luck!

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
To gain access to the bottom of the drain pipe located on the A-pillar you have to pop the hood, remove windscreen wipers and the plastic cowling. This should open up access to the cavity where the pipe transitions through the body and where you'll see a restrictor put in place from the factory.
Thanks!
That's next on my 'car list'.
I've got a cheap wiper puller. Any other tricks or tools needed?

rochey6957

TDI
'11 JSW
If your drivers side front tube is leaking deal with it ASAP! it will get water into your BCM and casue sll sorts of electrical havoc. Im dealing with this now. pull the a pillar and associated trim and silicone the tubes in place. clean all drains with weedwacker line. and cut the ends of the silicone boots that go through the firewall. Thats where debris will get trapped.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
If your drivers side front tube is leaking deal with it ASAP! it will get water into your BCM and casue sll sorts of electrical havoc. Im dealing with this now. pull the a pillar and associated trim and silicone the tubes in place. clean all drains with weedwacker line. and cut the ends of the silicone boots that go through the firewall. Thats where debris will get trapped.
How do you clean the rear ones? I have a 2 door Golf. Are you saying cut the lower tips off the ends of all 4 black silicone that hang off the body? Thanks

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
How do you clean the rear ones? I have a 2 door Golf.
On my wagon, the rear drains empty into the space between the body and the wheel well liner. So you'll need to take off the wheels and free up the liner to get at the drain.
You can see the water dripping out of the wheel well when you pour water into the channel around the outer edge of the sunroof, if the drains aren't plugged.
If the rear drains are plugged, the water will probably end up in the spare tire well.
Assuming your Golf is the same as my wagon with the large sunroof....

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
On my wagon, the rear drains empty into the space between the body and the wheel well liner. So you'll need to take off the wheels and free up the liner to get at the drain.
You can see the water dripping out of the wheel well when you pour water into the channel around the outer edge of the sunroof, if the drains aren't plugged.
If the rear drains are plugged, the water will probably end up in the spare tire well.
Assuming your Golf is the same as my wagon with the large sunroof....
Thanks for the info. In the next month or so I'm upgrading the suspension and I'll look at it then. Mine is not the large pano roof. If they aren't plugged up should I still trim all four plugs to be safe?

rochey6957

TDI
'11 JSW
Thanks for the info. In the next month or so I'm upgrading the suspension and I'll look at it then. Mine is not the large pano roof. If they aren't plugged up should I still trim all four plugs to be safe?
YES!

The rear drains can be accessed by dropping the rear part of the headliner. removing c/d pillar covers some of the trunk trim and the fender wells carpet. The ends of the boots on the rear come out behind the exterior fender liner.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
YES!
The rear drains can be accessed by dropping the rear part of the headliner. removing c/d pillar covers some of the trunk trim and the fender wells carpet. The ends of the boots on the rear come out behind the exterior fender liner.
Thanks for the info.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
I have a 2011 jsw with the pano roof. I flossed all the tubes, cut the nipples off, flushed with plenty of water, problem solved. Or so I thought. 2 weeks later, water leaking in again. With a monsoon in the forecast, I gave up and taped it shut with clear Gorilla Tape. Problem now actually solved, doesn't look that bad, and solved the sunroof creaking problem.

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2011 jsw with the pano roof. I flossed all the tubes, cut the nipples off, flushed with plenty of water, problem solved. Or so I thought. 2 weeks later, water leaking in again. With a monsoon in the forecast, I gave up and taped it shut with clear Gorilla Tape. Problem now actually solved, doesn't look that bad, and solved the sunroof creaking problem.
I'd be worried if anybody else tried to operate the sunroof. Would it burn out the motor or????