www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old December 1st, 2019, 18:07   #16
Rxfire
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-44 at 75 mph w/ no a/c

or you could sell yours and buy this:

https://www.texasjdm.com/inventory/1...passenger-van/

OOPs, that one is not 4WD
2 each 2003 GLS Jetta Wagons (White/tan leather and White/black leather), 5 speeds, Panzer plates, roof rack cross bars (hers), homelinks, 520 nozzles, ventectomies, trailer hitch (mine), VR6 front springs (hers); 1 inch lift kit w/ESP (mine) 1985 Isuzu P'up NA Diesel
Rxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2019, 18:09   #17
HiaceTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxfire View Post
or you could sell yours and buy this:

https://www.texasjdm.com/inventory/1...passenger-van/

OOPs, that one is not 4WD
Oh man that thing is a bus! Also automatic, eww

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
HiaceTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2019, 07:12   #18
Hasenwerk

As to your question on MAF and MAP. Yes, the MAF can be deleted, the MAP can not. There's a bunch of other items that can be deleted as well.

If you are looking for someone to help with the wiring, sensors and software required to make this run smoothly in your Hiace give me a shout at http://www.fastforward.ca
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2019, 21:28   #19
HiaceTDI

More progress today as I was able to bring my van into my shop at work to get started on mounting the engine!
Lots of work to do to get the starter to clear the downpipe and turbo oil return line but it's a start!
More info and details here:
https://www.dorikaze.net/showthread....649#post496649

Old December 14th, 2019, 16:14   #20
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

Go up and over the trans to the drivers side with exhaust.
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2019, 21:44   #21
HiaceTDI

So I've hit a pretty substantial roadblock with my swap: the adapter plate doesn't fit the bellhousing on the transmission. As it turns out, the north American G52 bellhousings are very different compared to the hiace's. There are a couple of engine to transmission mounts that bolt up to the bellhousing as well as a shifter linkage bracket that are absent on the north American bellhousings. So I'm pretty much screwed right now. I'm going to try to have a new transmission plate built at a machine shop and thst should solve the problem.
Another issue is that the height of the intake manifold is going to hit the underside of the drivers seat so the new adapter plate will have to be able to clock the engine a further 15 degrees or so, but then I'm getting into oil circulation issue territory.
Unfortunately I did have to delete the ac as it fouled the diff as I predicted. The ac mounting bracket also fouled the body side engine mount so I had to trim out a section of the bracket and will have to run the accessories with a shorter belt.

Old December 24th, 2019, 07:41   #22
toohighpsi

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg avg.

Might not it be easier to just find a junkyard US transmission and swap that in? Interesting project, I have thought about doing a swap to a Mitsubishi Delica, I found one locally with a blown engine, as they also have overheating and head cracking issues.
Also, I would not swap to a manual injection pump. You will have much better all around performance and economy by keeping the ecu control. There are several places out there that can delete the immobilizer from the ecu for you and modify the engine harness to make it super simple. Only a few wires to connect to the van.
Old January 5th, 2020, 00:34   #23
russx

TDI(s): A8 d2

Ac you may install on the right side of engine from passat b5/a4/a6 1.9/1.8t with its own tensioner and belt.
For the ecu cheapest way is to buy cheap eeprom programmer about 5$ and do immo off with immokiller program. Then you dont need golf cluster
russx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2020, 12:14   #24
HiaceTDI

Ac on the right sounds interesting but I might have driver's seat clearance issues..
Over the last couple weeks I procured a w56 bellhousing and bolted it to the G52 transmission and it fits as per my Toyota guru's information!

I had to cut out the top cross member in order to drop the engine in from above as I order to go from the bottom I'd have to remove the front axle and sway bar. No thanks.

And as an added bonus, my passenger seat/engine cover ACTUALLY fits! I should probably go buy a lottery ticket

The only issue on the passenger side engine cover is the oil filler can sits juuuuust a little too high, might have to shave down the plastic a little or somehow find some kind of aftermarket oil filler cap that's a bit slimmer.

Now onto the problems:
Looks like the intake manifold is going to have to be cut down and heavily modified as its sitting way too high up for the divers side engine cover to go back on. Under normal circumstances, I could just cut a bit of the engine cover out and build a sheet metal cover for it but the deat mounting bolts and seat rail sits right on top of the manifold. It shouldn't be too difficult to modify, but I don't really have the skills or machines to weld aluminum so I'll be talking to the machine shop guy down the street from me.

Another issue is that the hiace utilizes 2 cross shafts for the shifter linkage and the rear cross shaft seems to line up right where the clutch release arm is, but again I think this bracket can be modified to clear it.

Next up is to build the engine mounts. The stock location is quite a bit forward of where I need it to be so I'll have to cut them out and move them back to where the block bolt holes are. I'm planning on using the stock Toyota mounts as they're quite robust and could easily handle the weight of the tdi.

You can see the n75 diagram is sitting just above the body mount so some modifications will have to be made.

That's all for now, but my slave cylinder just came in so I'll mount that up and see if the hiace release fork is the same as the Toyota pickup the bellhousing came from.

Im feeling pretty relieved that the engine is sitting in there now!
Old January 10th, 2020, 18:40   #25
HiaceTDI

Im not sure why all my photos are super sized but whatever you get the point!

I've updated my main build thread with some more problems, nothing catastrophic just yet thankfully!

https://www.dorikaze.net/showthread....657#post496657

There are some clearance issues with the "hood" and the oil filler cap which are kinda bothersome, but not too much of a problem
Old January 18th, 2020, 02:16   #26
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

cool thread but pics are wayyyy too big, like trying to watch tv with your face 1" from the screen ... try uploading to the club server and choose medium image for a more readable thread... good luck with the swap!

Last edited by jimbote; January 18th, 2020 at 02:18.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 09:27   #27
HiaceTDI

More stuff happening!
My engine mount kit from td conversions got delayed due to a freak snow storm on Vancouver Island so I've been busy doing other things while I wait namely modifying the intake and figuring out where my intercooler is gonna fit

I still need to get the manifold welded up as I don't have a tig welder or know how to tig :/ the new manifold should be able to clear the engine cover. I've also been toying with the idea of cutting out the oil filler port and moving it back 3 inches to clear the panel as I've got a big honking hole cut into the panel and had to lose my e brake mounting bolt.

I'm also in the market for a radiator and fan combo. Problem is I can't use either the vw or hiace rad as I need a narrower rad to squeeze the intercooler piping past. I need something 16 to 17 inches tall by 20 wide for it to fit and maybe a bit thicker than the 1" the hiace came with. Gonna try pick n pull first then try mopac

Last edited by HiaceTDI; January 18th, 2020 at 09:31.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 15:02   #28
HiaceTDI

I've got a question about cooling:
I'm trying to figure out a new radiator for the van but I'm having difficulty narrowing down the cooling needs.
The van is approximately 4500 lbs stock, plus the amount of camper stuff I'm gonna ad roughly 800 lbs or so.
Problem is I can run the stock vw rad due to size restrictions so I'm gonna have to run a smaller, but thicker aluminum rad.
I was thinking of using a civic radiator (https://www.northernfactory.com/Product/205226) as it'll fit in front of the intercooler but the guys over at vex performance in Calgary say that it won't provide enough cooling for the engine. Instead, they've put together a crazy expensive alternative (around 880 CAD!) I really don't want to spend that much on a radiator/fan package as I still have to pay for the aluminum welding of the intake manifold and valve cover.
Any advice? The radiator has to be max 22 wide, 15 tall and 3 inches thick in order to fit into the hiace

Old February 18th, 2020, 09:10   #29
HiaceTDI

Lots more stuff done in the hiace over the last month or so! Updates here: https://www.dorikaze.net/showthread....661#post496661

Now I'm looking for a steel oil pan for an alh as the engine is mounted, but the oil pan is still rubbing on the front diff brace and I'll need to bash a small dent in the pan to fit around it

Old March 5th, 2020, 11:21   #30
HiaceTDI

Finished a couple of things:
Got the cooling system, intake and charge piping and fuel lines run since I got the engine mounted and moved back into my garage.
Next up will be getting new power steering hoses/lines made up.
Then it's onto mounting the ecu and running the wires before sending it off to fast forward for the custom wiring harness.
Still lots to do but it's on its way!