2000 Golf prices

robperks

I am in south florida and in the market for a 2000 Golf GL TDI. The best price I have found is $17400 after tax tag and title. this price includes nothing but the base GL. What have others out there been paying and does this sound fair? Also, what kind of interest rates have they been giving, they could not tell me this on saturday for some reason.

Colonel Klink

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Robperks: I bought a 00 Golf GLS auto TDI last week. Embarrassed to say I paid MSRP. Part of the reason was the wife had to have auto tranny and the fact that I insisted on 4 doors due to our rugrats. Apparently this resulted in a hard to get car; I heard this from dealers all over the region. The fact that you want 2 drs will help you; a 5spd will help even more. My opinion is 17,400 is high, that is MSRP for a GLS TDI. Best rates usaually available at your local credit union; 60 mo term now AVG's between 7.99 and 8.5%, that will be going up soon; look under "Alan Greenspan". Good Luck, the car is Superb. ( and practical )

Denton T. Young

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
That's a reasonable price. I paid $16,500 plus tax, title, and reg for a GL with a CD changer.

------------------
'00 Bright Green Golf GL TDI

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
List price in TN for a 2000 Golf GL with nothing but the $250.00 CD player totalled $15,600.00, before 8.5% sales tax, and doesn't include title and tags.

Tell the dealer you'll do the title and tags yourself; you'll be well overcharged should you let them do it. Find the real price from a reference like KBB or Edmunds, factor in the dealer holdbacks, then negotiate. Depending on the rarity, popularity, time of month, etc. you may have more say in the pricing.

DSLPWR

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
I'd just like to add, that at that price the dealer will be making $794!

I'd offer him $300 over invoice.

Call the fleet department Monday and see what they can do.

$15,101 base
$ 525 del.
$15,626 + $300= $15,926

Try getting financed through your bank or credit union.

Morty

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
FWIW: Every VW dealer says that about any TDI - that it's a "hard to get car." Don't always believe what they say. You can get what you want with a little patience.

Colonel Klink

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
TurboSteve: I visited 3 dealers and spoke with every one I could find within 80 miles. They all had Jetta TDI's and were pushing them. Every dealer I spoke with offered me a better price than what I paid, but not ONE could gaurantee me the car I wanted or what month let alone year they MIGHT procure one for me. Rather than deal with an open ended wait, I spent the extra bucks on the dealer who had a VIN# and was 15 minutes from the docks where the car was. Mind you, none of the other dealers could even locate the car that was sitting in inventory B4 my dealer snagged it. VW allocation system = DA PITS

TDI_Y2K

Congratulate me! I just bought my first TDI (second VW)!

Bought it in the Metro East area of St. Louis (new local VW dealer who just opened a new showroom that looks just like the ones in the last VW Club magazine).

Got a Black/Black Golf TDI with the luxury package (sunroof, alloy wheels), cold weather package (heated seats), monsoon sound system and cd player (not a changer), Automatic (and the dealer's Ziebart thing) for $19,700.

Checked with several car deal-Internet sites - the ones that quoted prices quoted around $19,600 (no cd player) but made no promise of delivery date, etc. The model we purchased was off the lot so we got to drive it home that night!

Looking forward to better milage than with the Dodge Dakota I traded in!

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
Congratulations!

The VW allocation system works to reward dealers who can move inventory. If they can sell what they're handed, they can bargain for more/different vehicles. This is a method to rout out the poor dealerships who aren't moving inventory. The larger the dealership, the more inventory they move. The more inventory moved, the more likely they are to ask for, and receive the VW you desire.

Why is this important? Depending on the finer points of the allocation system, a vehicle sold outside of what's floored may not count for that dealership. But I don't know that much about the system. Sorry.

DSLPWR

Funny note: Watched a re-run of Magnum P.I. today. The "Island Hoppers" van was a Vanagon, Higgins' estate vehicle was an Audi, and the supporting characters vehicle was a Scirroco. Sales were good in the 80's.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Colonel Klink:

Welcome to the Forum if you haven't already received the greeting!

Sometimes, you have to play it safe and take what you can get, even if it cost a bit more. I guess I feel somewhat fortunate to even get a 2000 GLS Jetta 5-speed, with Cold Weather Package, Monsoon Sound System, and CD Changer in the Trunk, (silver / gray) for $18,651.00, plus TTL. I did a lot of homework to get the car I wanted though.

Hope your TDI has what you needed and serves your family well!

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited February 21, 2000).]

Be_like_water

yeah size15n, but WHEN will you get your car and HOW MUCH DESTINATION CHARGE will you pay??? Did you do your homework missy??? I'm with you though...don't get me wrong. I don't care how long I have to wait to get the car I want...so long as I KNOW FOR A FACT that I'm not getting robbed! Who will back me up? You may want to give Greenlight a call and ask how much it's going to cost to have it delivered to you....remember they are only responsible for ordering it...not handling delivery or are they? Find that out for everyone's benefit and we will reward you with praise.

size15n

Be_like_water...I have been looking for my new TDI since October. There are none at the price I want to pay any where near St. Louis. GreenLight has offered the best deal, and if I have to wait 2-3 months, I will not be happy, but I will understand as TDIs are scarce. As I get more specifics on the transaction, I will post them on the forum.

By the way...your "missy" comment was in error in that I am the 6'6" father of a 23 year old.

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite
Robperks, Sounds about right. I did a little better on a 1999.5; $17K (before tax)for a GL automatic. He was probably clearing the lot for Y2K models.

------------------
Kato - 1999.5 A4 GOLF GL TDI Automatic, Flash Red

size15n

I just spoke with greenlight.com and was assured that the $15,626 price I was quoted will be the price I pay for the car. I will have to pay the state taxes, licence and registration in addition, but according to them, nothing else. I'll post more as I learn about it.

Check out www.greenlight.com for yourself and see.

size15n

FYI...

The areas served by greenlight.com are:
San Diego CA
Jacksonville/Orlando FL
Atlanta GA
St Louis MO
Greensboro/Raleigh NC
Portland OR
Salt Lake City, UT **NEW**

[This message has been edited by size15n (edited March 02, 2000).]

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
I just paid $579 over invoice for a Golf-gls. The dealer claimed it was $100 over invoice, but they wouldn't negotiate the $200 advertising fee or a $279 consumer protection fee. I have no idea what the consumer protection fee is, it has nothing to do with the usual rustproof/scotchguard crap. They only had 2 golfs so, the price was ok by me...they also threw in a cd changer for $295.

------------------
2000 Golf-GLS 5M
2000 Jetta-GL 4A (wife)
Silver/Black TDIs
6^7