Taking a road trip in July, Any recommendations on car tune-up?

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
I am planning a road trip this year. From Toronto, I am going to:

Toronto ----> Michigan
Michigan ----> Chicago
Chicago ----> Houston
Houston ----> Naples, Florida
Naples, Florida -----> Chester County, Pennsylvania
Chester County, Pennsylvania ------ > New Jersey
New Jersey ------------- > New York (Suburbs)
New York -----------> back home (Toronto)

I am going for approx. 1 month, and i am going by car in my 2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with 215,000km. I am kind of hesitant taking the 318i because of the age, and ever since the car had that over heating problem back in 06', im afraid to take it on long distances. I am going to keep CAA validated and get AAA membership just in case. I just hope I can visit all those places this long trip. I want to visit has much relatives as I can in July.
I was just wondering, since I am going to the tech shop on Monday. I want get my car tuned up, what do you guys recommend me doing before I take this long trip? Any special area's I should have chacked and serviced? Thanks

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
40X40 said:
Take a spare fuel filter and the tools required to change it??

Bill
Yea, good idea. Many years ago I took a trip out west and ended up in a camp ground in Yellow Stone trying to clean out a fuel filter due to the poor fuel I got at a park entrance. I was able to get it clean enough and I was good for the rest of the trip, but a new filter would have made the job a lot easier.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
I would go over the car prior to leaving and make sure everything is up to snuff. Pay attention to items like brakes, tires, filters etc. Make sure your A/C is working properly as you will need it in NJ and PA mid summer. When in NJ be advised that most diesel pumps are separate from gas BUT sometimes they are at the same island. If that is the case make sure the attendant puts diesel in not gas. If separate you can do self serve with Diesel.

Doug Huffman

Veteran Member
Washington Island, on the other side of Death's Do
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2K3 Silver gone to new home
I just returned from a 2K mile road trip that I made into an opportunity to see my guru and give him some money. I took the snow tires off and checked the pressure in the summer tires. I got 48 mpg in heavy urban/suburban driving w/o the trailer, ~40 mpg at 77 indicated mph w/ the trailer.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Trip

Take a spare relay 109 & brake light switch. Make sure you have replaced any belts that are old. Spare brake light, tail light bulb, headlight bulb. Couple of spare fuses. Laptop with VagCom or Vagtool locator.

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI
Change the brake fluid if you haven't, carry a small toolkit with a pair of hose clamp pliers, tire gauge(check pressures often), new wipers, air freshener, compass/GPS, etc...

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
oil_me said:
Change the brake fluid if you haven't, carry a small toolkit with a pair of hose clamp pliers, tire gauge(check pressures often), new wipers, air freshener, compass/GPS, etc...
I am looking at getting the brake fluid changed. I need new wipers, maybe going to try those expensive 'Rain X' wipers. GPS is a must, lol !
Gonna take a air freshener, and looking at buying a simple tool kit.
Thanks....

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Change fluids, filters, rotate and balance, wipers, carry some spare parts and tools- MAF, fuel f & tee, fuel hose, your favorite additive, tire gauge, and be sure to post your trip in the Road Trip section. Guys there will jump all over routes, restaurants, etc.
Sounds like a great trip.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I am going to take my car in for service in the coming days. currently, the car is running kind of rough. The tranny fluid is leaking somewhat, car doesn't seem to respond quickly when I want quick acceleration, it feels as if its low on power- limp mode? I had a check engine light and turned out to be the glow plugs, so I gotta do that.
The car has new rotors, and pads, front and back. I had my last oil change back in July 2008, and have driven about 13,000km with this oil. I bought the oil and filter done, but could'nt find the time to take it in to the repair shop. I am also going to have the cooling system checked as well.