Unofficial MK7 Oil Change Guide

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Start by securing car on jack stands or ramps and remove the belly pan.

8-T25 Torx
3-T45 Torx

Remove the drain plug using 19mm socket or wrench.

Remove t27 Torx and set aside the coolant heater if equiped (usually Canadian models)

Unplug the after run coolant pump,pulling the gray tab backwards in the direction of the wires and pull straight out.

Remove oil filter canister cap using 32 mm or a 1 1/4 sockets works too but it's tight.

Replace the cap O ring with new one with filter and place the filter in first then the cap it's easier that way I tried both.

Put the oil drain plug back in and torque to spec,can't recall.

Top up with 5.5L of your choice of 504/507 VW approved oil.

Start the engine and check oil level on flat ground.

Reset reminders to next service.

Works for both Golf And Jetta.

https://youtu.be/Z_IQsoBARms
Tools needed;
T25
T27
T45
1/2" breaker bar 18" or Rachet
32 mm or 1 1/4 " socket with extension.
19 mm open end wrench.

Overall this took about 1 hour and not to bad at all. Not as easy as MK4, 5,6 but it's not difficult at all.

Good luck !
About 5L came out so I'm assuming consumption is about .5L per 16,000 km

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Excellent and thanks Jason! I pulled my cover off underneath when I got the car home and saw its really not as bad as it looks. And an hour isn't bad at all.

Verbosity1

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S-trim
Thanks for posting this, recently purchased a 2015 golf TDI, and post break-in will need to change the break-in oil. Much appreciated!

badufay

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI S, 6 spd man; 2017 Jetta SE TSI, 5 spd man
Going in tomorrow for our first oil change. 10,000 miles. Arent there a few software updates I should ask about?
There is a radio one (Released Jan/Feb)... I just go it a few days ago...Just firmware to fix some minor issues I guess

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
Hey guys, got my 10k service yesterday and on the oil quantity the number was "60" what unit of measurement is this? Better not be oz!

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Your first oil change is provided free of charge by the dealer at 10,000 miles.
And you get your car back with the lower engine cover half torn off, screws missing, wrong oil, wires not put back, overfilled, etc.

Just kidding.... sort of.

Nice write up Jason. I'm looking forward to doing this... She's only at about 6000km so far.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I took mine to the dealer for the first oil change no charge,and to see what quality of work they did.

Invoice stated several things that weren't actually done but no biggie.
Tires inflated to 34 psi, no I had my winters on and set to 37 psi
Check and top up fluids,no my washer tank was half empty and my DEF I added another 3 liters when I got home.
So test failed ,not returning to dealer unless it's warranty work.
If I had paid for the first oil change damn straight I'd have gone back and *****ed about it.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
^ Can you be sure they even changed the oil and filter? If they listed things that weren't done, it's hard to trust that anything was done.

My car experienced some dealership butchery in it's early days, so I never went back. (If something's in the way, they break it off...)

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^ Can you be sure they even changed the oil and filter? If they listed things that weren't done, it's hard to trust that anything was done.

My car experienced some dealership butchery in it's early days, so I never went back. (If something's in the way, they break it off...)
Can't be %100 sure but it did say on the invoice, who knows??? Thus is why I'm doing my own from now on.

WildChild

TDI
2015 Golf Comfortline TDI 6MT
Well I took mine to the dealer for the first oil change no charge,and to see what quality of work they did.

Invoice stated several things that weren't actually done but no biggie.
Tires inflated to 34 psi, no I had my winters on and set to 37 psi
Check and top up fluids,no my washer tank was half empty and my DEF I added another 3 liters when I got home.
So test failed ,not returning to dealer unless it's warranty work.
If I had paid for the first oil change damn straight I'd have gone back and *****ed about it.
That reminds me of when the dealer told me they had to fill-up the DEF tank. I told I would refill it myself as I thought it was cheaper to purchase the 2.5gal containers ($28.75 incl taxes at dealer). They told me, no, we have it in bulk and it will cost between $10-$15. Uh? I though the 2.5gal was the cheapest?!? Oh, you have to add "work time" to the cost of fill-up. Total cost: $70-$80. I ended-up pouring 4/5 of the container in 5 minutes. Total cost: $23 (incl. taxes). I know I could get the DEF for a bit cheaper elsewhere (~$20 for the 2.5gal container)... I am really thinking of doing my own oil change + own diesel filter change.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
JASONP, I wanted to thank you for posting this 'step by step' procedure for an MK7 TDI oil change. Just this morning I printed it out and brought it to my independent mechanic that I have used for the past 10 years. He lets me look and take note of any work he does while he is doing it. He used plastic tie backs to hold back the disconnected hosing and harness. To minimize greatly the mess when removing the filter cap he cracked it open just enough to have it drain over the side and away from all around it. It took longer but there was very little wipe up afterwards. There is no way the dealership would take the time to do what he did to keep things neat and clean.
I filled with Pennzoil Platinum EURO LX 0W30. What I did note was the my owner's manual for our GSW lists the engine oil capacity with filter to be 5.7 l (or 6 quarts). This is convenient as this particular oil comes in one quart bottles.

Last edited:

HSG

TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
Awesome work. Doesn't look too bad. Might give it a shot myself even though the first oil change is free at dealer chip. In that case, I'll be back in about 9k miles. :D

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Too make a long story short the so small "O" ring did not get replaced (only did the larger one). Right now I don't have the energy or time to go back and do it. Given that I changed out the OEM oil and filter extra early am I okay leaving that original teeny tiny "O" ring for what would be an extra 3 months beyond the legitimate 12?

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
where does the teeny tiny o-ring go? I couldnt figure it out..
In the groove of the oil drain plug for the screw cap :(.

(Just hoping one can safely leave it in beyond one oil change interval like one can with say a....drain plug washer.)