www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 5th, 2017, 14:19   #1
GearGuy2014

Default Bad Fuel or Anyone else experiencing Long Cranking with Fix (14 Jetta)

Maybe I just got a batch of bad diesel but ever since the fix (two weeks ago) I've had 4-5 starts that are taking 6-7 seconds of cranking to start. Normally the car fires right up and I only experienced this once a year ago with what I believed to be bad diesel. I'm on my second tank and I have experienced it on both tanks but I filled up at the same station both times.

Is anyone else with a Gen 1 TDI that is fixed experienced longer cranking times?

I'm going to top off with some premium diesel at a different station and probably put some Optilube in it to see if that resolves it.
Old October 5th, 2017, 15:51   #2
marmur99

I haven't noticed anything like this with my "fixed" 2014 Beetle. It's slightly louder when running but starts with no issues. I fill up at Shell.
marmur99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 18:01   #3
GearGuy2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmur99 View Post
I haven't noticed anything like this with my "fixed" 2014 Beetle. It's slightly louder when running but starts with no issues. I fill up at Shell.
Hmm ok I topped off with some good diesel tonight so hopefully that resolves it.

It does seem like it regens alot more often - do you feel the same way?
Old October 5th, 2017, 20:17   #4
duratitus
Veteran Member

You might consider changing the fuel filter especially if you suspect you had a bad batch of fuel.
duratitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 02:41   #5
FlyingVan

I had my 2011 fixed about a month ago and I too, sometimes, experience longer crank times. This has never happened before the fix as far as I can remember. I am curious if it is just a coincidence or it is caused by the fix. I don't think itbis caused by bad fuel.
FlyingVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 08:26   #6
Chummy

Fuel Economy: 40.3 mpg - Combined since 8/14

I am also experiencing this same phenomenon since completing the emissions mod on my 2014 Beetle TDI. It's not every time, and appears most often to be after a night in the garage before heading out for a new day. It never happened prior to the mod.
Chummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 06:33   #7
GearGuy2014

It seemed to be resolved a bit when I put in a premium diesel but I did still get it once even with that so Im not sure what might be causing it.

Sort of glad Im not the only one seeing this issue.
Old October 15th, 2017, 07:07   #8
duratitus
Veteran Member

Have you changed the fuel filter yet?
duratitus is offline   Reply With Quote