Why hasn't KBB updated our values?

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Not exactly true. KBB and NADA values are important for insurance claims and trade-ins.

Private party sales though? You're spot on.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
The only thing that matters for trade in valuation is Manheim wholesale auction value.
Agreed. I guess that is a really large market too. Is that where dealers, sell their "30 day cars"?

CURB sellers fly by the seat of there paints; and NADA ~ KBB. At least I do 'cause it is free. :rolleyes:

Over a life time of sell my personal cars, I find most of my prospective buyers are fairly up to date on both KBB & NADA

I try to "quote" just over KBB as my asking price. Does not surprise me as they want to use NADA as their offer stating price.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
KBB is now even higher ~~ (on my particular TDi)

Have no idea why this is the currant KBB results

2015 VW DSG TDi Golf (S) Tungsten Silver

$25,598

Which is even more than the original MSRP.

I even searched the older years with these results

2014 = $24,444
2013 = $22,935
2012 = $20,422

NADA has values that are constantly 3K - 4K lower

In the real world NADA has got to be closer to market values

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen

$25,598

you must live in an expensive area? i don't get anything near that (and have the exact same model):

dealer trade-in: $15,045-$16,848
private party: $17,687

willie
on the 'smile with every VW mile' Gulf of Mexico

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you must live in an expensive area? i don't get anything near that (and have the exact same model):
dealer trade-in: $15,045-$16,848
private party: $17,687
willie
on the 'smile with every VW mile' Gulf of Mexico
I do live in 74128 ZIP.

However, I think I found the difference in our two (difference) calculations

I used the currant mileage for my car doing the 2015 amount, then increased the amount of miles I drive each following years.

Note: Both KBB and NADA has a mileage consideration.

Best I can tell is approx seven to eight cents per mile.

In (say) 3 more years, my mileage will surely be 60,000 fewer miles than average.

Even now my only 4,545 miles is compared to > 35,000 miles for the currant KBB mileage factor.

One other issue, I look at the "range" on KBB. The number I use is the number just before the "red" zone price. That accounts for approx $500 more.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
$25,598
2012 = $20,422

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How are you getting that number? When I put your car in I get $22,100 for an excellent condition car.

You did well in your question, and results.

IF I use the currant automatic mileage (34,407) in the run, I get $22,247 (similar to your $22,100.) I'm in ZIP 74128. Maybe that is the $147 difference?

However I have 4,545 miles on the car, and I get the larger figure.

Additionally, I use the high figure in the range, just before the red zone on price. That adds (about) $500

I life, I have been a curb seller of my ol' units (20?) ~~ (Also for members on my family ~~ 5-6 units~~) When I need to sell, I put it on a few internet sites, and start asking all I can get away with, then take the best offer.

It is usual that I get (approx) full bore "book retail" on my cars.

'cause they are generally in better or much better condition, garage kept, and I keep service records etc.

I look for the buyers who would really like to talk-meet-converse with the "last" original owner. Seems like it was an extra $250-$400 if it was my wife's car. My car(s) are clean. Her cars are ridiculously clean.

In general, buyers seemed to prefer "lady teacher owned cars" to men drivers.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
You did well in your question, and results.
IF I use the currant automatic mileage (34,407) in the run, I get $22,247 (similar to your $22,100.) I'm in ZIP 74128. Maybe that is the $147 difference?
However I have 4,545 miles on the car, and I get the larger figure.
Additionally, I use the high figure in the range, just before the red zone on price. That adds (about) $500
I life, I have been a curb seller of my ol' units (20?) ~~ (Also for members on my family ~~ 5-6 units~~) When I need to sell, I put it on a few internet sites, and start asking all I can get away with, then take the best offer.
It is usual that I get (approx) full bore "book retail" on my cars.
'cause they are generally in better or much better condition, garage kept, and I keep service records etc.
I look for the buyers who would really like to talk-meet-converse with the "last" original owner. Seems like it was an extra $250-$400 if it was my wife's car. My car(s) are clean. Her cars are ridiculously clean.
In general, buyers seemed to prefer "lady teacher owned cars" to men drivers.
Still confused. I used your mileage and zip code, still getting $22,250 for 'Private Party Sale', excellent condition. No way to get it higher.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Still confused. I used your mileage and zip code, still getting $22,250 for 'Private Party Sale', excellent condition. No way to get it higher.
You are 100% correct on a "private seller" price.

... and I am all so guilty of using the full bore clean dealer retail price ... as this has always worked to my best financial interest(s).

As a curb seller, I am (only) competing with used car dealers. They are the highest market level.

As stated before, I feel I have the advantage (sometimes).

I remember one car sale, where the guy wanted to see where the cat was parked at night. He looked. It was a 100% clean garage floor (no oil stains.) ~~ THEN he drove it. Cash one hour later.

Many (most?) buyers would rather negotiate with the original owner, (and-or my wife with her cars) than a crummy used car dealership sales person.

YIKES

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
You are 100% correct on a "private seller" price.
... and I am all so guilty of using the full bore clean dealer retail price ... as this has always worked to my best financial interest(s).
As a curb seller, I am (only) competing with used car dealers. They are the highest market level.
As stated before, I feel I have the advantage (sometimes).
I remember one car sale, where the guy wanted to see where the cat was parked at night. He looked. It was a 100% clean garage floor (no oil stains.) ~~ THEN he drove it. Cash one hour later.
Many (most?) buyers would rather negotiate with the original owner, (and-or my wife with her cars) than a crummy used car dealership sales person.
YIKES
So you are looking at the price that a dealer would try to sell it for? Would have been good to know up front. When most people quote KBB prices, they are looking at private party sales which are quite a bit lower.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you are looking at the price that a dealer would try to sell it for? Would have been good to know up front.

When most people quote KBB prices, they are looking at private party sales which are quite a bit lower.
Yes private sellers are lower.

As a spirited seller, It is up tp my skills to get my price.

Which is KBB full bore dealer retail

Over the phone (or email) I say I will negotiate. And I will in my driveway.

If (when) I think I have a premium condition clean car, I sometimes make this opening statement.

I will listen to any offer. But If they start to "knock-hammer" the car's (general condition) -- then I will say the car is not for sale ... today:rolleyes:

Learned that from my brother's best friend. Mark (RIP) was selling a 5 year old super premium 1965 Olds @ $2,500 the buyer offered $2,000. Mark took it as an insult. Mark told him the price just went up to $3,000 Several days later Mark got his $3,000

In the end, buyers are quiet skilled for getting what they want too.:eek:

One reason I (generally) get my asking price is:

Garage Kept, better than good-great condition, records, we were the first (or second owner), way lower than average miles, & we advertise in 2-3 venues ~~ Ebay, C. L., Car-grue(sp?)

You do not have to sell premium used cars. Correctly shown --- the car sells itself:D:):rolleyes::p

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes private sellers are lower.

As a spirited seller, It is up tp my skills to get my price.

Which is KBB full bore dealer retail

Over the phone (or email) I say I will negotiate. And I will in my driveway.

If (when) I think I have a premium condition clean car, I sometimes make this opening statement.

I will listen to any offer. But If they start to "knock-hammer" the car's (general condition) -- then I will say the car is not for sale ... today:rolleyes:

Learned that from my brother's best friend. Mark (RIP) was selling a 5 year old super premium 1965 Olds @ $2,500 the buyer offered $2,000. Mark took it as an insult. Mark told him the price just went up to $3,000 Several days later Mark got his $3,000

In the end, buyers are quiet skilled for getting what they want too.:eek:

One reason I (generally) get my asking price is:

Garage Kept, better than good-great condition, records, we were the first (or second owner), way lower than average miles, & we advertise in 2-3 venues ~~ Ebay, C. L., Car-grue(sp?)

You do not have to sell premium used cars. Correctly shown --- the car sells itself:D:):rolleyes::p
That's all great and you've mentioned it already. All I asked was where you were getting your KBB number from because it did not match what I and others were getting. You could have just said it was the full Dealer Retail price instead of rambling on about how good you are at selling used cars.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Mark, meet the rambler...........

(Rambler, meet Mark)

The sole car I've sold in my driveway - and after a test drive - was a 1960's CorVette. They are kind of a 'niche' car.

I got my price...............wasn't me - - - it was the car.

Garage kept. Beautiful no-hit, flawless paint condition. Tons of service records. Second owner.

ez

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mark, meet the rambler...........

(Rambler, meet Mark)

The sole car I've sold in my driveway - and after a test drive - was a 1960's CorVette. They are kind of a 'niche' car.

I got my price...............wasn't me - - - it was the car.

Garage kept. Beautiful no-hit, flawless paint condition. Tons of service records. Second owner.

ez
ez

Thanks for your validation of:

You do not have to sell premium used cars. Correctly shown --- the car sells itself :):D:p:eek:
In my life time, I'm sure I did net an average of at least $1,000 to $3,000 more than if I had "traded-in" each unit.

All those transactions probably paid for my last 2 new cars. Her 2015 RAV4 LIMITED, and my 2015 VW Golf TDi DSG

I'm guessing you got at least $5-6K better than a "trade - price" on your Vet. :D --- Good for you