www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 26th, 2016, 05:45   #1
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG
Default Things I like about the settlement

Skimmed a bit of the docs. Some clauses I like:

1. There is no escape for VW not paying for any of the buyback cars. Even if VW files bankrupcy, the 10 billion to pay for the cars will be set aside as the highest priority.

2. If an eligible car is not bought back upon request following the strict schedule, there is severe penalty for VW, like 2 grand fine PER DAY for the delay.

Uncle Sam put the hammer down quite heavy-handedly this time. There is no way VW could play any tricks on the buybacks.
MBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 05:54   #2
FVWVWF
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBQ View Post
2. If an eligible car is not bought back upon request following the strict schedule, there is severe penalty for VW, like 2 grand fine PER DAY for the delay.
I wonder if the owner gets the 2 grand or the lawyer.
Nice to see a positive thread for a change...instead of the regular "what if" threads.
FVWVWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 06:01   #3
fan of fanboys
Veteran Member

I love the buyback. My only complaint is they have not bought it back yet! The sooner the better for me (personal reasons)
fan of fanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 06:06   #4
kevin_in_idaho
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan of fanboys View Post
I love the buyback. My only complaint is they have not bought it back yet! The sooner the better for me (personal reasons)
I agree. Speed this process up. Parts of the process is digital (getting them info) and part is snail slow (sending docs back and forth via USPS).

I want to get this car out of my driveway. Yes, I've waited this long so what's another month?
kevin_in_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 06:14   #5
Rico567
Veteran Member

OK, now back to the positive. I like this thread, too. Another positive thing about the settlement is that it was done (as such things go) rapidly, and to benefit a class (although not everyone seems to understand this, believing, as so many good Americans do, that everything must be about THEM or it might as well not exist). The judge based his approval on the agreement of all parties to the suit, and an overwhelmingly positive response from the affected class (us, the owners). And that is as it should be.

NB: Do I believe that the settlement is perfect? No. But this is a positive thread, right?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 21:49   #6
S2000_guy
Veteran Member

What I love about the settlement:

I get to drive the '14 JSW for 2 more years, 25k miles, for just the cost of maintenance. No charge for depreciation. If I go 30k miles, depreciation only costs me about $400. I'll never get to drive a decent car for this little money ever again in my life. Many thanks to the government lawyers from the FTC who got me this deal.
S2000_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:33   #7
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_guy View Post
What I love about the settlement:

I get to drive the '14 JSW for 2 more years, 25k miles, for just the cost of maintenance. No charge for depreciation. If I go 30k miles, depreciation only costs me about $400. I'll never get to drive a decent car for this little money ever again in my life. Many thanks to the government lawyers from the FTC who got me this deal.
^^^^^

This is one of the BIG positives to me, and it's surprising how many people in the forums fail to appreciate it. This is a big argument against the rush to buyback (which, judging by posts I've seen, many people are doing), every mile we drive the Passat until turn-in is done on the cheap.

- Adam Savage
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:42   #8
Borsig

Yep. I'll probably sit on mine for 2 more years and see what the market does (2015 GSW)

Borsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:47   #9
rfortson
Veteran Member

I'm amazed at the amounts and speed of the deal. Most of these large corporate actions take years and the settlement usually comes in the form of discount coupons off of future purchases. This deal is very specific, has moved very quickly, and serves the perceived purpose of getting the cars off the road. (I won't debate the need for actually getting them off the road.)

Color me impressed.
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:49   #10
rfortson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
^^^^^
This is one of the BIG positives to me, and it's surprising how many people in the forums fail to appreciate it. This is a big argument against the rush to buyback (which, judging by posts I've seen, many people are doing), every mile we drive the Passat until turn-in is done on the cheap.
That works until the car is totaled, stolen, or the HPFP implodes. As someone else said, when people are handing out money, it's best to get yours before they stop.

On the face of it, I agree that driving your car for free for 2 years sounds nice. I'll settle for the 5 years of free driving I've already gotten. No need to get greedy.

Last edited by rfortson; October 27th, 2016 at 06:37.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 05:12   #11
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
That works until the car is totaled, stolen, or the HPFP implodes. <snip>
As far as your reasons #1 and #2, no problem. The window whereby someone with a total insurance claim couldn't collect anything from VW closed some weeks ago, so if these things happen, I can file the insurance claim (which is now more soundly established at the buyback value since the settlement is approved), plus I can collect the compensation package from VW. I'll do no worse than a regular buyback, maybe even a bit better.
As far as reason #3, I have absolutely no reason to believe that I am likely to suffer any catastrophic mechanical failure, no more so than in any car I have ever driven. Those who do lose an HPFP or throw a timing belt are attracted to internet forums like flies to road kill, so we are more likely to see the <1% of people who have problems, rather than the 99%+ who don't. I'll take my chances of being in the latter group. In over 50 years of driving and close to 20 vehicles (most bought well used) we have never suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure in any of them.

I think that about covers it......

- Adam Savage