Dealers getting ready as well!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Still wonder how this ends up playing out for those of us who have has Emission system failures and decided to go a more economical route (downpipe and tune...)
If you had watched and listened to the video, it would be clearer to you. It's very clear that the inspection is performed at turn in is AFTER the owner has turned the car in and received payment. It's strictly being done to evaluate the condition of the car for its eligibility to be fixed and resold, or ? There is a stepwise process, where dealers who are going to be applying the fix to Dieselgatemobiles (I think the term is "grounding" dealers) can bid on a car, evidently on the basis of the inspection report. If a grounding dealer doesn't bid within a certain amount of time, then it's thrown open to the entire VW dealer network. If there are still no bids, it goes to auction. Again: this has nothing to do with them being able to spot your downpipe or other modification and reject it. THEY CAN'T DO THAT, and it's been stated repeatedly by people in this forum who have posted and reposted the legal settlement language.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It would be really awesome if most of these cars were modified and resold. Then a bunch of people could get a decent high MPG car at a reasonable price.

Still no word on any "new" TDIs though, which really stinks. I think the unsold new 2015s will be the first to get prepped for sale, though.

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
Whomever gets my car next is getting a steal. 2010 with 53k miles, no major damage other than a couple scratches, nothing mechanically wrong.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
It would be really awesome if most of these cars were modified and resold. Then a bunch of people could get a decent high MPG car at a reasonable price.

Still no word on any "new" TDIs though, which really stinks. I think the unsold new 2015s will be the first to get prepped for sale, though.
We will have a whole new group of people here who will actually be positive, and perhaps patient enough to read a pertinent legal document.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
There won't be an emissions "waiver" on gen 3s (or at least I haven't heard there will be), so the work might be more complicated to get them to pass inspection. Is it possible the gen 1's will start getting fixed before the gen 3 fix is even approved?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
There won't be an emissions "waiver" on gen 3s (or at least I haven't heard there will be), so the work might be more complicated to get them to pass inspection. Is it possible the gen 1's will start getting fixed before the gen 3 fix is even approved?
Not sure how that is possible since the Gen 1 submission date hasn't even come yet, and clearly the Gen 1 fix isn't in front of the EPA yet either.

Aren't we all assuming that Gen 3 will be easier to fix than Gen 1? And Gen 1 will be a huge pain, even with a raised emission target?

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Not sure how that is possible since the Gen 1 submission date hasn't even come yet, and clearly the Gen 1 fix isn't in front of the EPA yet either.
Doesn't add up to me, either. VW can't off-load the risk of EPA rejection, unless maybe the auction cars are delivered with a hole in their blocks, effectively as rollers. I haven't followed "the fix"/waiver side that closely, and this makes that seem like a done deal.

I wonder how long before we read about anticipated recovery rates, on the 10.7bb. There has to be several billion in used value coming in. What follows that is the impact to the market, when all these cars go through the auction goose. Who's going to want a $5,000 TDI with random multi-$X,000 service costs (DPF,EGR,LNT,HPFP,Turbo,PRNDS/DSG..)?

ar2013tdi

TDI
2014 Sportwagen DSG
Whomever gets my car next is getting a steal. 2010 with 53k miles, no major damage other than a couple scratches, nothing mechanically wrong.
Same here. I am selling back a 2014 with 18K miles. Perfect car without a blemish anywhere.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI

I would expect VWoA and franchised dealers to recycle as many of the used TDIs as possible. VWoA can recoup much of their huge cash outlay by selling the buy back cars to dealers and then the leftovers to auction houses.

Then there is considerable money to be made by dealers in selling the modified buy back units. Ultimately, keeping a two or three hundred thousand recycled TDIs in service is potential parts and service revenue for dealers. Many dealerships earn the largest portion of their income from parts and service rather and used car sales rather than new cars.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Found another video with detailed photos of the install

It does get a new EGR filter "if required" wonder if that means it has a P0401 code

https://audi-academy.kzoplatform.com/#/player/medium/746228316645627049

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took another look at the https://www.justice.gov/opa/file/871306/download

(page 93 of 225)

Require that PM filter efficiency monitoring shall be accomplished using​
the pressure differential across the low pressure EGR filter and the pressure differential​
across the DPF as a secondary backstop monitor. The backstop monitor shall detect​
malfunctions before FTP PM emissions exceed 0.040 grams per mile and is not subject to​
the 0.035 gram/mile limitations specified in subparagraph 3.2.5. The backstop monitor​
demonstration must be completed no later than the respective time period allowed for the​
Final OBD Demonstration.

This says to me that the new EGR filter is modified to make it more accurate in identifying a DPF that seeps soot.

not to let more soot fly and not throw a MIL

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I hope they do resell them, I will get another one someday, as long as mpg don't drop down to what I can get out of a car.

BTW, just manually calculated the mpg on my 2010 passat gasser.. 36 mpg, not bad, my 2009 TDI was averaging 41-42 when I stopped driving it.

spent $46 to fill up (2.79 for 91 octane) which gave me 3 gallons more and went 578 miles.

My TDI is normally 545ish miles for 13 gallons. For my TDI to get 578 miles that would be roughly another gallon of fuel. So, I spent a total of $5.60ish more.

I can promise you the cars fixed will NOT be priced cheap, they will be listed at a premium, mark my words... unless mpg takes a hit.

Last edited:

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
https://archive.org/details/746230595880752759 for the IN-FORM video
https://archive.org/details/746241436235601871 will be the URL for the The First 60 Days video (the first one that was linked here) when it finishes uploading.
I noticed that in the IN-FORM video at the 1:55 mark, when the vin is entered, its not the last 8 digits, its the full vin number... Wonder how well the video was vetted for correctness/continuity. Seems like they slapped it together to get something out the door, hope this does not forebode the quality of the repair work to come.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I have my doubts.....a hundred thousand or so used TDI's hitting the market, all within a year? Other than the people here, who is really going to want them after all the bad press? Sounds like trying to sell used Ford Pintos with redesigned fuel tanks.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn

Aren't we all assuming that Gen 3 will be easier to fix than Gen 1? And Gen 1 will be a huge pain, even with a raised emission target?

Some members seem to think that GEN 1 could be fixed with a software update. But if that was the case, why hasn't VW proposed that to EPA/CARB. Others believe that some early proposed fixes by VW about changing the LNT trap/EGR and some other parts would address the issue. That was way back in April timeframe, I seem to recall. Again if that was viable, we should of heard something from VW, EPA/CARB. I will be looking to see if VW says anything more than we are still looking at solutions on 11/11/16.

Last edited:

prostart

TDI
2013 JSW / 2003 Jetta TDI
Yes Thanks for the videos and info. I wish I could sit and watch from a beach chair in the sky, this whole process is gonna be entertaining. Im certainly not gonna make any sudden moves until I see how well the process works.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
I never thought about taking pictures of my car before turning it in. I will be now with a copy of a daily newspaper visible in the shots.
What's a daily newspaper? Those things with the blue circle on the floor in the hotel hallways?:D

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
I noticed that in the IN-FORM video at the 1:55 mark, when the vin is entered, its not the last 8 digits, its the full vin number... Wonder how well the video was vetted for correctness/continuity. Seems like they slapped it together to get something out the door, hope this does not forebode the quality of the repair work to come.
Now you're just splitting hairs. The videos were made by a third party for dealership personnel to get an idea of what is going to happen, not to be picked apart by members of an internet forum. Many employees are just as confused as most of you, they were purposely left in the dark until the hearing became final to try and prevent rumors and misinformation from going around like you see so much of here.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Interesting that vehicle is inspected for equipment after transaction. Isn't a bit late at that point? Are they going to send you a bill for missing spare tire?
Speaking of which... Are they penalizing in some way for missing parts? My hood liner disintegrated... And, I was thinking of giving some of that stuff away to other TDIers/Golfers instead of letting VW have it back...

I was also considering pulling the passenger seat and giving it to a friend for a sim racing setup... I might call my VW dealer and ask about it as well... If they are going to crush the car why should my friend not have a nice sim racing seat!?

Last edited:

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Speaking of which... Are they? I was thinking of giving some of that stuff away to other TDIers/Golfers instead of letting VW have it back...
I was also considering pulling the passenger seat and giving it to a friend for a sim racing setup... I am only on page one of thread, so if/when I answer my own question I will update this post... I might call my VW dealer and ask about it as well... If they are going to crush the car why should my friend not have a nice sim racing seat!?
Because the judge released an amendment to stop jackwagon's from stripping the car (thanks to a now infamous instagrammer).

VW can and will reject cars that have been obviously stripped....

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Thank you ecode... I will have to let my friend down gently. He just moved to a house with a nice big garage and was looking forward to some seat time in the ol' VW seat... alas he will have to go without... I thought maybe I could get away with the "because racecar" justification, but I best not risk it!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Are they penalizing in some way for missing parts?
No, they'll just refuse to accept them if (in the buyback rep's subjective opinion) you've stripped the car. The hood liner won't be a problem. A spare tire and jack probably won't be (though there have been one or two reports here of people having problems with that). A seat almost certainly would be.