2006 jetta door switches not working properly

careylongscbc

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It seems that my door switches (locks,trunk and fuel door) stopped working when the car is off. All work fine when the car is running. Any suggestions?

careylongscbc

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So I just got home from driving for the first time in the dark since the problem developed. I noticed that the door lights didn't come on until the door was all the way opened. Everything seemed to work with the door all the way opened (when the lights were on), but did not work when the lights were off.

Does this point to a harness of some sort? Any suggestions appreciated.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Probably some chafed/worn wires between the drivers door and the body.

The harness in question runs inside the acordian boot between the hinges.

rgravesjr

TDI
VW Jetta MKV, 2005.5, Platinum Gray
I'm not certain, but you may have a problem with your car's "wiring harness" that's inside your door. As O'lRattler said, I believe it's in the accordion section of the door. Mine went to crap on me on a trip away from home. I couldn't open my fuel door or open any of the windows from the driver's side switches (I could open them from their individual switches, however). Also, my MFD showed my driver's door ajar--it wasn't (the "door open" chime kept chiming because of this--about made me nuts!) and the interior lights wouldn't go off. Supposedly, several wires had broken or were damaged at the harness--and I've never messed with anything in the door. It wasn't under warranty (78K miles), so it cost me about $440 at a dealer in Cary, NC.

careylongscbc

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The culprit was two severed wires. I was able to push the boot back and repair the wire with an inline wire connector. What a stupid problem to have.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
Yes, use the photos as you wish. Mention they are used with permission of Mr. Timewise

I need to take the door skin off so I can remove the boot I damaged and replace it with the one I photographed. I'll use your DIY for that work!

Last edited: