12V power outlet fuse?

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys,

Just noticed my 12v outlets are all dead. Looked in the manual and it shows that Power outlet is #26 (20amp) and the Cigarette lighter is #24 (25amp).

Which one do I need to replace?

Thanks in advance!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You pull it out and look at it. Usually, if it is bad, a very visible gap in the center of the conductor will be visible.

Once you have seen a good one, a bad one is very obvious.

Look at the map of your fuses on the door, pull the fuses with the little white tool (some are yellow) and look at them.

If you pull the wrong one, stick it back in. If it looks good, consider replacing it anyway, unless you have a multimeter to check resistance on it.

The fuses are pretty cheap.

If it blows again, then you need to start troubleshooting to find the problem. Usually a wire with the insulation worn through and touching metal.

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
DanG144 said:
You pull it out and look at it. Usually, if it is bad, a very visible gap in the center of the conductor will be visible.

Once you have seen a good one, a bad one is very obvious.

Look at the map of your fuses on the door, pull the fuses with the little white tool (some are yellow) and look at them.

If you pull the wrong one, stick it back in. If it looks good, consider replacing it anyway, unless you have a multimeter to check resistance on it.

The fuses are pretty cheap.

If it blows again, then you need to start troubleshooting to find the problem. Usually a wire with the insulation worn through and touching metal.
changed fuse 24 and 26 and still no sign of life from my 12v outlets.

Any ideas?

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
40X40 said:
Check again with the ignition on?

Bill
Ok, so I figured it out...

The mapping on the fuse box was all wrong...

It showed #24 for the Cigarette and #26 for the Power Outlet.

However, I found the blown fuse in #28??????????????????

I don't get it... Is it normal for this mapping to be off like this?

Thanks!

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
Damien8 said:
However, I found the blown fuse in #28??????????????????

I don't get it... Is it normal for this mapping to be off like this?
Perfectly normal. VW is changing fuse/wiring configuration almost every year. I actually checking the wiring 2-3 times everytime I retrofit anything to make sure I am using the wiring applicable to my MY06.

One word: Mess.

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
maloosheck said:
Perfectly normal. VW is changing fuse/wiring configuration almost every year. I actually checking the wiring 2-3 times everytime I retrofit anything to make sure I am using the wiring applicable to my MY06.

Awesome thanks!

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
maloosheck said:

Ok, so it burned out again!

The manual states 20amp, but I had nothing to replace it with so I just put in a 25amp fuse.

It seems to be working... Can I do that?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Something that is MANDATORY when figuring these things out is your build date.

I researched 2 build dates in Bentleys and found that through 11/2005 Front and rear lighters are powered by SC 24 (25A) and the trunk outlet is powered by SC 26 (20A).

From 12/2005, all 3 outlets are powered by SC 28 (30A).

There probably is a later build date from about 6/2006 but I didn't see it.

If you have a blown fuse or fuses, a penny or something could be stuck in one of the outlets. Also certain build date cars have to have the key on for the outlets/lighters to work.

Hope that helps....................

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If it blows a 20 amp fuse, something is wrong.

What do you have plugged into it?

If the answer is "nothing", then you are risking a fire by installing a larger fuse.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
DanG144 said:
If it blows a 20 amp fuse, something is wrong.

What do you have plugged into it?

If the answer is "nothing", then you are risking a fire by installing a larger fuse.
Thats some really good points.:cool:

The purpose of a fuse is to protect the wires and to a lesser degree the using devices in the circuit. That is what I was taught about aircraft wiring in tech school, anyway. If a using device is blowing fuses that device is probably toast anyway.

My rule of thumb is if I don't have the correct size fuse, I ALWAYS go lower and NEVER higher. Of course if he has the build that all 3 outlets are on the same fuse, it should be a 30 amp.

Like Dan said, What do you have plugged into it?

With nothing plugged into the outlets, even a 5 amp fuse should not blow..........

Last edited:

ssnapier

Veteran Member
TDI
86 Turbo Diesel (RIP), 2006 Jetta TDI
I had a penny stuck in the outlet under the climate controls... and I think mine was fuse #42 or something crazy. No more change goes in the cubby now!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Fuse 42 sounds kinda familiar for the later build date that I didn't research for my earlier post....................

Last edited:

GolfTDI2001

TDI
Golf
My 2001 tdi 12v power plug in dashboard burned when unplug it, I change the fuse and plug in GPS, it works, but when I unplug it, the fuse burned. I checked there isnt anything in the hole, what might cause the problem?

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
My 03 wagon had a 30A fuse in spot #35 for the rear, and a 15A fuse for the cigarette lighter. (#35 was an icon of the book)

tfink

TDI
2006 1/2 Jetta TDI Package 2
Wow, all three of my outlets were dead, a quick search on TDI Club brought me to this thread. I read that there could be a penny (or something) stuck in one of the outlets. As crazy as I thought this sounded... sure enough, a penny was stuck in the outlet in my coin cubby (by the way this was a pain to get out - TIP: small guage stiff wire with the tip bent at 90 degrees to pull it up enough to grab with needle nose pliers worked like a charm - it took me a while to figure this out). And then there was the crazy notion that the fuse box diagram in the manual was wrong... sure enough, it was wrong. The blown fuse was in 41 or 42 not 24 or 26. Workin' like a champ now.

Thanks a million to all of you on this thread!!

vwowner82

TDI
VW JETTA 07
Yep it is definitely fuse 42 for the 12V power outlet! I too got a penny in the socket in the ash tray. I don't get why the manual that came with the car is so off when it comes to which fuse is which.

ssnapier

Veteran Member
TDI
86 Turbo Diesel (RIP), 2006 Jetta TDI
Along these same lines, has anyone re-wired these outlets to remain constantly hot? I have not had the time or motivation to date, but if anyone has done it I would love to hear your insight!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
do not over fuse

If the fuse blows when you disconnect the GPS, the cord may have a problem. my wife was using a splitter (to allow cell phone and gps at the same time) the splitter was shorting out, so blew the fuse. was a hit and miss thing. you can check continuity of the cord (or lack therof) with the cord disconnected if you have a meter. play with it and you may find an intermittent short.

do not use a larger fuse, unless you want some smoke and melted wires (sooner or later)

wwm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 tdi jetta
Which fuse is 42 it shows I don't have a 42. All three of my outlets are out but all the fuses show they are in working order.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Fuse 42 and all fuses are ok. Still no power. This has been out for years. The last few days my "headlamp out" light came on but all my lights are ok. I have decades of battles with car wiring that are making me paranoid here. So far there is no serious problems, but it all creeps me out good.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Which fuse is 42 it shows I don't have a 42. All three of my outlets are out but all the fuses show they are in working order.
42 is the second from bottom row, third from rear fuse, the instrument fuse box, 20 amp (yellow). There's 2 fuse boxes, one in the engine and the one with the 12v outlets fuse: the driver side dash facing the door.

See "Here is the fusebox on a 2010 Jetta TDI" at the bottom. You have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/rain-sensor-auto-wiper-retrofit-vw.htm

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Bringing back an older thread here...

All three 12v outlets in my 06 Jetta are dead. The sockets all look like brand new (did not find a lodged penny or dime from previous owner).

My 06 is a later build...the 20a fuse is in location #42, and the outlets are only powered when the ignition is turned on.

There is obviously a dead short as the 20a fuse blows instantly when I turn on the ignition. Checked the 12v sockets with my meter to confirm.

I've found a few threads in my searches where others have replaced fuses but the system was still dead. Unfortunately I couldn't find any threads that were updated with a solution.

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I thought I'd post some info here in case anybody should run into this same problem in the future.

Issue is all three 12v cigarette lighter/charging sockets dead, and blowing 20a fuse instantly when the ignition is turned on. The Mk5 Jettas built in July 2006 and later had a Blocking Diode in this circuit, shown in the Bentley diagram as J29, between +12v and -12v. If this diode fails, like mine did, it can become a short to ground. Mine was blowing the 20a fuse instantly with a snap when the circuit was energized (ignition on).

This diode doesn't appear to be in the Jettas built in June of 2006 and earlier, according to the Bentley book at least.

If you happen to be looking for this diode, it is in heatshrink, in the console wiring harness, just next to the accelerator pedal. Might save you from tearing the whole car apart like I did.:)

If you're a keener and want to replace this diode, it is a 1N4002 DC. I removed it and dead-ended the wires for now and my 12v socket circuit is back to working properly. Just an FYI in case anybody is looking in the future.

https://postimage.io/https://certificity.com

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Nice find.. I can imagine a lot of folks, myself included, digging thru the car to find this issue.