19 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Darn, even with the 19 gallon aux tank, I would have still needed to fill while on my Christmas trip. Of course, then I wold have not had any room for presents or maybe passengers.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Assuming you could drive at 80mph all day, and assuming that you could average 40mpg at that speed (I'm being generous), my simple calculations indicate that the OP could drive for about 16 hours straight without stopping. This begs the question: How big is this guy's bladder? Don't forget that there is another "tank" that occasionally needs emptying.
Don
When I drive in Northern Canada, its not about driving without stopping, its about there isn't always a gas station around the corner or at the next block. If your going off the beaten track, you need as much supplies as you can carry.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
When I drive in Northern Canada, its not about driving without stopping, its about there isn't always a gas station around the corner or at the next block. If your going off the beaten track, you need as much supplies as you can carry.
HaHaHa most of them have no idea what you are talking about their biggest decision is which station has the best fuel for the price.
Most times we have to plan for the trip back before we leave and it may be 2 hours to the nearest fuel station in the other direction.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
did we ever get pics of this set up or other mods for adding a tank where the spare tire goes?

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Considering this thread was started by someone in FL, and having heard the nightmares about trying to evacuate the state before the last storm came ashore, I can totally understand the addition of a reserve tank. Fortunately, diesel seems to be far easier to come by before a hurricane comes ashore than gasoline. When a storm is coming, I fill two 5 gallon jerry cans, and fill the TDI tanks. I can drive to Knoxville, TN on that much D2 if we take the MkIV. :)

I just read the entire thread, and we never did get pix of anyone's setup...

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Considering this thread was started by someone in FL, and having heard the nightmares about trying to evacuate the state before the last storm came ashore, I can totally understand the addition of a reserve tank. Fortunately, diesel seems to be far easier to come by before a hurricane comes ashore than gasoline. When a storm is coming, I fill two 5 gallon jerry cans, and fill the TDI tanks. I can drive to Knoxville, TN on that much D2 if we take the MkIV. :)

I just read the entire thread, and we never did get pix of anyone's setup...

i understand that for sure.

i live in CT so emergency stuff isn't my concern, i just hate going to gas stations and filling up unless it's one of my usual 4 places. i had to make a quick stop yesterday, diesel is $2.89 near my house, $3.25 near work and then i was going to stop off the highway...... $3.69... NOOOOPE!!

ended up finding one a few miles later for 3.09 which was better.

if it were up to me i'd have a 20gal tank if i could

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
i understand that for sure.
i live in CT so emergency stuff isn't my concern, i just hate going to gas stations and filling up unless it's one of my usual 4 places. i had to make a quick stop yesterday, diesel is $2.89 near my house, $3.25 near work and then i was going to stop off the highway...... $3.69... NOOOOPE!!
ended up finding one a few miles later for 3.09 which was better.
if it were up to me i'd have a 20gal tank if i could
If you think that spread is bad, a friend in Colorado with a high top diesel MB van commented to me today that there are two distinct tiers of diesel pricing near her: $2.32-$2.37, and as high as $3.20 at some remote stations. Wish I could find some $2.37, I'd buy about a year's worth!!! I've still got 5 gal in a can I drained out of the totaled '06 TDI before I let it be hauled away in July. I've been running all month on the other 5 gal I drained out of it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Assuming you could drive at 80mph all day, and assuming that you could average 40mpg at that speed (I'm being generous), my simple calculations indicate that the OP could drive for about 16 hours straight without stopping. This begs the question: How big is this guy's bladder? Don't forget that there is another "tank" that occasionally needs emptying.
There is a company that makes a safe (DOT Approved) 12 gallon fuel bladder that fits into a spare tire well which I considered for a while. I stopped considering it when I realized that my own bladder couldn't make it any farther than the stock fuel tank allows.

Have Fun!

Don

Don, I always factor in a 5-10 min bio-break every 2 hours. My fill-ups are in the morning before I start each day's drive.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
wish this guy would come back haha, last activity was 2015 so i doubt that.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I'm just cracking up that I got a notification of this thread that I replied to 7 years ago. So thankful for having a larger tank on my ALH.

This isn't a very good picture, but when I go on road trips to California, because I strive to avoid paying CA road taxes, I carry ~120 gallons of fuel. Between 85 and 90 in the aluminum tank, and between closer to 30 in my 35 gallon poly tank (towards the right rear of the trailer). I need to construct a better stand for it for my next trip.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
My mk4 had a 50 gallon tank in the trunk when I got it... I just pulled it out as it was really too much space taken up..it also was never connected, which is good.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I can't imagine how poorly that car handled when that tank was full. Figure about 500 extra pounds behind the rear axle with the weight of fuel and tank. I notice the difference in handling with the bikes and rack on the back of my JSW and that's less than 100 pounds total.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I can't imagine how poorly that car handled when that tank was full. Figure about 500 extra pounds behind the rear axle with the weight of fuel and tank. I notice the difference in handling with the bikes and rack on the back of my JSW and that's less than 100 pounds total.
It had about 15-20 gallons in it when I got it, I could feel it back there.