rear view mirror

ecmoon3

TDI
2004 Passat
The rearview mirror fell off from the window. I believe that the 'lug' (metal piece) needs to be removed from the plastic arm and re-glued to the windshield. What is the best way to remove the lug without tearing up the plastic arm?

Or is there another way to reattach it?

Thanks.

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So all that is on your windshield is the black dot? The metal piece separated from the windshield?

Remove the original rear view mirror by rotating the base a quarter turn counter-clockwise vs the mount.

ecmoon3

TDI
2004 Passat
I have tried using some channel locks to turn the lug but there is not enough space on the side of the lug to get a good bite.

Can't figure how to attach photo of mine. Anyway, mine does not look like CCBB's

There does appear to be a torx screw down through the center of the lug.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
You can use needle nose plyers, put one side in the center hole, and the other in the little slot on the outer endge. I had to turn my counter clock wise.
Just make sure when you glue the metal button back on the windsheild you do it with the little slot on the edge @ 6:00
(facing down)

Last edited:

MTBer

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI 5MT & 2014 Touareg TDI R-Line
97 degree day today and I found the rearview mirror on the floorboard after work. Thanks for the info. All good now!