fuse for rear lighter

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue - DECEASED
Ok...in trying to troubleshoot a bad car power adapter, I blew out the fuses on the main lighter in the front seat and the one in the back seat. I replaced the fuse (number 33) and that fixed the front seat but I can't seem to find the one for the back seat. I just got the bentley cd for Christmas(thanks Santa) but I can't seem to find it in there either.

Anyone know?

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GL Passat & '05 GLS Passat & '05 Beetle TDI
I have the Bentley Passat web subscription. It says that the rear console lighter fuse is S281 (20 amp), Power Outlet Fuse 3, in fuse holder, behind left front footwell kick-panel. The schematics were listed under wiring diagrams/2005/common systems.

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue - DECEASED
Front footwell kick panel? Where is that?

The front fuse is separate from the ones in the trunk because they still work.

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GL Passat & '05 GLS Passat & '05 Beetle TDI
My assumption is the left front kick panel is the hard plastic vertical cover between the floor carpeting and the bottom of the dash on the driver side. It is next to and behind the hood release. According to the Bentley, there is a separate fuse for each power outlet. The rear seat console and the trunk power outlet have fuses behind the kick-panel. I have never had any reason to remove this panel so I cannot confirm the location.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Rear Fuses in Passat Wagon

OK, I'm resurrecting this old thread in hopes that someone here has removed the "kick-panel" and can give me some more specific directions.

I'm presuming that's where I'll find the fuses for the two 12v accessory sockets in the back of my 2005 Passat wagen? Anybody got more details?

Thanks, Bruce

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
weedeater said:
the kick panel referenced is in the front, under the dash, to the left.
That would be the panel to the left of the foot rest?
Anybody know how to remove it?
It's not obvious from looking at it ...

newbug

TDI
1984 Jetta, 1999 Beetle, 2002 Jetta, 2005 Passat Wagon
Power Adapter rear seat 2005 Passat Wagon

I found out where the fuses are for the power adapter for the rear seat ash tray area.
You must remove the fuse panel door then the 2 torx screws that hold the lower panel under the steering wheel that contains 2 more torx screws on the bottom.
Then look where the relays are.
The top yellow 20 amp fuse is held in by at small tab to the left side.
Push this tab and release the fuse.
It is a orange connector that the fuse is in the 2 bottom fuses might be for the rear ones but that I didn't try.
Replace the fuse try the socket and if it works put the panel back up and you and put the fuse cover back on and you are done.

crookski

TDI
Passat 2004
2004 Passat rear seat lighter fuse

Thank you all for leading me to the secondary relay/fuse panel on my 2004 Passat. That was quite the mystery.

I have good news - I was able to reach in just above the main fuse panel and change this fuse, without removing the bottom of the dash. You can actually see it using a flashlight. The 20 amp yellow fuse is on the upper right corner of the secondary panel and has a plastic tab holding it. I found I could push the tab out of the way with one finger and grab the fuse with other fingers.

If the other power points have their fuses at the bottom edge of the secondary panel as suggested, they look like they'd be much more difficult, if even possible to replace, without removing the dash panel.

96cali

TDI
Passat
I have good news - I was able to reach in just above the main fuse panel and change this fuse, without removing the bottom of the dash. You can actually see it using a flashlight. The 20 amp yellow fuse is on the upper right corner of the secondary panel and has a plastic tab holding it. I found I could push the tab out of the way with one finger and grab the fuse with other fingers.
Just replaced the fuse for the above pictured center console rear 12v outlet and want to confirm I was able to reach it through the opening in the main fuse panel on the side of the dash. It's quite visible and reachable even with average hands, just shine a light in from the side and look for the orange fuse holder with 20A fuse. Sure saved a lot of under dash jostling! Thanks crookski and TDIClub!

1oldfrt

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, silverstone grey w/moonroof
Still need more help

Followed this thread and found the fuse under the dash no problem. Fuse was good so I went to the trunk and checked the power outlet there. Lots of juice!

Still have no power to the rear lighter in the back of the centre console. Any suggestions as to where to look next?

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
There is a separate fuse for this. It is located the furthest back and it looks like it is a tacked on fuse box relay. When I replaced mine, I had to remove the kick panel to gain access to the unit.

see the linked photo:

You may need to replace the lighter unit in the console itself. They are tweaked easily.

Last edited:

1oldfrt

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, silverstone grey w/moonroof
Passat rear console lighter

Thanks for the reply.

The fuse up under the dash (20A) is good. I have power to the power outlet in the trunk. I have no power to the wiring for the lighter in the back seat and I use this to power my satellite radio. Is there a separate fuse for just the rear lighter?

Not sure from the picture provided quite where to look. I do know that the fuse with the lock tab under the dash is good. Is there a 2nd fuse up there that I should check?

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
You need to take off the dash side panel. Also take off the lower kick panel. I believe there are two or three T-type screws. It is way back there. When you take off the dash side panel, you can see this but unless you are a small child, there is no way most normal adults could get their arm in there to get the fuse.