EA288 - A diesel way forward?

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
SNIP... I'm still hoping for a fix that keeps my car the way it is and a check to compensate a bit for resale. If not a sweetheart deal on an R will work for me. :)
My position also, love our 2015 TDI 6-speed and also love our 2015 'R'. They are both in classes of their own.
-Rod

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
I third. Love the car, but also think I could love a GTI (and the higher insurance premium)
I like the GTI, but the truth is I could have bought one for the same price I paid for my 15 GSW. Those of us with 2015s are in a unique situation. There are not many of us and not sure a fix is really worth it to VW. It will be really interesting to see what they do for us. In the meantime I will keep enjoying the GSW and the 40+MPG I get daily.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
2015s would be the easiest to fix with simple reprogramming, the urea system is already in place.
It is the <2015 that will need hardware added.

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
2015s would be the easiest to fix with simple reprogramming, the urea system is already in place.
So far no one has confirmed this, and it really doesn't matter how easy it is to fix. There are not many 2015s, and our resale has been impacted worse than any other TDI involved in the scandal. If I had to dump my car tomorrow I doubt I could get more than 15k for it. Not that I want to mind you, but if I had to I'd lose big time. I am not a doomsday guy, and my attitude is wait and see, but I am also not fooling myself about this just being a simple fix. I'm curious as to what this "generous" offer will be, but in the meantime I will just keep enjoying the car.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
That's what everybody has been saying but facts we have so far (very little to barely any) do not seem to support this. It's been 4 months since this came out and VW has supposedly been "working hard" on a solution. Meanwhile, they still have not fixed the manufactured but not sold stock of 2015 and 2016 TDI Jettas and Golfs. You would think that if it was just a simple software flash they would get this done and get these cars certified so that they can be sold - 4 months and this has not happened yet and there no indications that it is going to happen anytime soon. The more time passes, the more likely it is becoming that something else besides software programming is likely preventing these cars and 2015s already on the road from being made emissions standards compliant.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What I've heard is that the EPA is holding certification for the '15s and '16s hostage until VW comes up with a plan for the older cars. Makes sense: If they are able to sell new ones it dramatically decreases their incentive to fix the old ones.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
What I've heard is that the EPA is holding certification for the '15s and '16s hostage until VW comes up with a plan for the older cars. Makes sense: If they are able to sell new ones it dramatically decreases their incentive to fix the old ones.
Once they settle on a plan, with a likely generous buyout/exchange program, 15/16 inventory should move out very quickly.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
I remember reading that VW was the one that withdrew the application for certification. As of now, they have not applied to get '15 and '16 TDIs certified for sale. Wonder why....?

bmwednova

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
That's the point, this is a much bigger mess even for the 2015 models. From what is coming out of Europe regarding other diesels also emitting more pollution that "certified", it may be that the entire "clean diesel" technology was a myth and a scam. I've decided to take a bath on my TDI because I have no faith VW will fix this problem, no faith that VW will ever offer any reasonable compensation to people who bought cars that VW should not have been selling in the first plance and no faith whatsoever in VW as a corporation. Those bastards are dead to me, just like GM and the bull**** they played with on defective ignition switch. Those types of corporate crooks aren't getting anymore of my money.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
First, like my brother says, "VW lied, nobody died." Not like GM.

Second, I bet VW hasn't applied for certification of the '15s and '16s because they know it will be denied until they get a fix for the earlier cars. This is all being negotiated, and the negotiations aren't public. All I get is bits and pieces from local dealer owners.

Third, if people decide to sell a TDI now they only hurt themselves. As soon as the fix is announced values will start to recover. Diesel car values are depressed right now anyway because of low fuel prices. This scandal only makes it more pronounced.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
Could it be that VW is just taking its time? we humans have a very short memory and scandals fade very fast out of our mind. Remeeber Bill Clinton's sex scandal, and how he lied to the public on national television" i did not have sexual relation with that woman". and look now everyone is cheering when he is on TV or giving a speech.

the point... VW staying quiet, while they are selling the gasoline cars just fine - passats, GTIs and soon.

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
Could it be that VW is just taking its time? we humans have a very short memory and scandals fade very fast out of our mind. Remeeber Bill Clinton's sex scandal, and how he lied to the public on national television" i did not have sexual relation with that woman". and look now everyone is cheering when he is on TV or giving a speech.

the point... VW staying quiet, while they are selling the gasoline cars just fine - passats, GTIs and soon.
Or...most people just didn't care that much that he got a 'beej' from a cute intern.

Honestly, the only person who truly should have been pissed was Hillary and she's still with him :D

Back on topic... maybe that's one avenue VW could go with 'making it right' to it's customers :p

Antipenguin

TDI
2015 jetta tdi highline
I have a 2015 tdi highline and the stupidest thing happend for some reason my trunk doesnt open (vw says its under warranty) stopped openjng after 8000 kms so they have booked me in at the earliest they can almost 2 weeks away but yesturday i get a warning "possible engine no start in 1000kms" due to needing def fluid witch i have but the tank i need to fill is in the trunk... And i commute to work, is there anyway to fold down the back seats from inside the cabin? Will my car really not start cuz of some emmissions fluid? This sounds reaaaaally dumb to me why would they not make a manual trunk unlock like a key hole ffs am i really screwed?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have a 2015 tdi highline and the stupidest thing happend for some reason my trunk doesnt open (vw says its under warranty) stopped openjng after 8000 kms so they have booked me in at the earliest they can almost 2 weeks away but yesturday i get a warning "possible engine no start in 1000kms" due to needing def fluid witch i have but the tank i need to fill is in the trunk... And i commute to work, is there anyway to fold down the back seats from inside the cabin? Will my car really not start cuz of some emmissions fluid? This sounds reaaaaally dumb to me why would they not make a manual trunk unlock like a key hole ffs am i really screwed?
Look at the headrest on the driver's side rear. Towards the center of the car there's a slot on the seat back. You can insert a screwdriver, or key into that slot and release the seat back mechanism so you can fold the seat from the passenger compartment. You may then be able to release the trunk latch from inside.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
I have a 2015 tdi highline .... but yesturday i get a warning "possible engine no start in 1000kms" due to needing def fluid witch i have but the tank i need to fill is in the trunk... And i commute to work, is there anyway to fold down the back seats from inside the cabin? Will my car really not start cuz of some emmissions fluid? This sounds reaaaaally dumb to me why would they not make a manual trunk unlock like a key hole ffs am i really screwed?
Ithought ther DEF filler was right next to the diesel fuel filler on the right side of the car.

As far as the car will not start if you ran out of DEF, it is pretty much standard now on any newer diesels- car or truck. That is why the car gives you plenty warning to make sure you add DEF. Nothing new here..

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Or...most people just didn't care that much that he got a 'beej' from a cute intern.

Honestly, the only person who truly should have been pissed was Hillary and she's still with him :D

Back on topic... maybe that's one avenue VW could go with 'making it right' to it's customers :p
It was less an issue that he had an affair with a kid young enough to be his daughter and more about the fact that he, as the most powerful person in western world took advantage of a subordinate

Not to mention the fact that he lied about it....which he lost his license to practice law over

Hey.....Bill always chose women other than hillary.....shouldnt you too?

Anyhoo....the new engine is awesome

Started in a couple seconds yesterday in -19 temps

Last edited:

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
I am driving a 2014 jetta(stick) and a 2015 JSW- DSG. back to back both S model...
As a package (S trim).... the 2015 is so much better in many way.
I thing VW did a great job with the EA288.
Also I've always been a manual trans guy with VWs..
but now the DSG (in my 2015) with steering paddle shifter is growing on me. I am glad I have it.

JOJATK

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE, 6spd manual in Reflex Silver
I'm still hoping for a fix that keeps my car the way it is and a check to compensate a bit for resale. If not a sweetheart deal on an R will work for me. :)
I also have the '15 TDI 6spd GSW and have enjoyed every mile I've put on it. It fit all of the criteria I had for buying a new car and was the only car that met all of them. I'm hopeful, like you, that VW can fix it and if it drops significant mileage then some compensation for that is in order as well. Resale value isn't important to me since I want to keep it for 10 years (but at some point I'm sure I'll change my tune about resale value... Hah).

I think I'm going to go into the dealership and activate my cards this week. My plan was to buy the 40K and 50K service and the roof rails but until I hear whether they can fix my car I don't want to throw money into future work.

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
I also have the '15 TDI 6spd GSW and have enjoyed every mile I've put on it. It fit all of the criteria I had for buying a new car and was the only car that met all of them. I'm hopeful, like you, that VW can fix it and if it drops significant mileage then some compensation for that is in order as well. Resale value isn't important to me since I want to keep it for 10 years (but at some point I'm sure I'll change my tune about resale value... Hah).

I think I'm going to go into the dealership and activate my cards this week. My plan was to buy the 40K and 50K service and the roof rails but until I hear whether they can fix my car I don't want to throw money into future work.
I activated my cards almost immediately. The $500 visa card made my daughter's Christmas more special. I feel the same way about my VW card as you, I will wait to see what happens and possibly use it for maintenance.

I keep my cars 2-5 years usually, so resale value is very important to me. My plan with this car was to go at least 4 years, and I would still like to do that as I enjoy the drive, economy and utility my GSW TDI offers me. Like you it was really the only vehicle out there that ticked all my boxes.

panda

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
I went to the dealer yesterday for the 10K service on my 2015 TDI GSW and what a difference in the place. All the employees acted depressed. The place was really dead. I heard 1 customer arguing with the only salesman I spotted. When I bought my car, the week before the scandal the place was hopping. Now I wonder if the dealership is on it's way out and maybe VW too. There were about 1/2 the number of cars on the floor and no diesels I could see.

Maybe they have a heads up on the 5K settlement being announced today. Since the EA288 is included in the scam, I wonder how this settlement will play out for those of us owning cars with the "new" model engine. The fix should be easy for us but at what cost in performance and resale value. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. It's hard to believe they would offer to buy back cars with the EA288 but it's also hard to believe they would buy back an old beat TDI at pre-scandle value AND offer a 5K settlement.

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
Looks like it's another couple months before we start hearing concrete numbers and solutions still...

But at least this is SOMETHING!

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
The man-up thing to do, the honourable thing to do, the owning up to the fact that you royally fu&%ed up and screwed over 1/2 million people is to buy this cheating, illegal car back from me a face value. Diesel cars in NA are DONE!!! This is not a good comparison, but I going to make it anyway. Someone you know screws you over for whatever reason and then you find out. Me personally, I'd confront the d-bag with it, and if they did not own up, i'd introduce them to a right hook. The man-up thing to do is pay it back. But we are dealing with are faceless multi-billion dollar multi-national corporation and not some dude who screwed you over. The man-up thing for that dude would be to apologize, admit that they were d-bag and then compensate fully for their actions. rant done, for now.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I bought two 2015s that get better than advertised fuel economy, are fun to drive, and have ZERO gunk buildup in the tailpipe while every other modern direct-injected gasoline engine looks like the polluter when comparing tailpipe emissions. The only one that should feel cheated here is the EPA. I didn't buy either car with the thought of only keeping them for a short time, so resale value means nothing to me and my GAP insured vehicles. I'll be keeping my vehicles regardless as long as I have the choice!

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
The crying and whining in some of these threads is ridiculous. The values will bounce back. My wife doesn't even remember there was any "scandal" and we own one of these things. Apart from some rabid enthusiasts with a giant entitlement mentality and some other enthusiasts who just enjoy driving these things, nobody cares. Nobody cares at all outside of the enthusiast crowd. It's a blip in the media and then it's gone until there's another nugget for them to sensationalize. Keep in mind that the NOx output on these cars was completely within legal limits about 8 years ago and the rest of their emissions is much cleaner than most of the gas vehicles on the road, including the extremely dirty small direct injected GTDI models that are dominating the market. VAG mucked things up, but so has every single other automaker on the planet, and they sure as hell won't be the last to pull a stunt like this.