www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 10th, 2018, 14:01   #1
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Default Input/Advice

I've come across a B4 that's had an ALH swapped into it by a shop on the Trusted Mechanics list. The turbo/manifold are still 1Z, tranny is also original B4.

Lots of plusses for me in this combo, but what are the (potential) minuses? Swap was done 100K miles ago (don't know how many miles on the ALH prior to the swap).

Last edited by MarsBar; January 10th, 2018 at 14:42.
MarsBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 16:14   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

as long as the price tag is right, should be fine! no other draw backs than usual
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 09:25   #3
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

The only drawback I can think of is not being able to follow one manual for diagnosis. Otherwise the ALH is a much more robust motor, although not as simple.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 12:20   #4
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

^^^ what he said.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price was attractive but again you'll need to remember what book of knowledge (Bentley) you need to draw on for the different parts.

Based on what you're saying the 'core' engine is ALH but most of the ancillary stuff is all original AHU/1Z. I'm assuming then they have left the earlier electronics installed and simply adapted the engine to the older ECU etc.

You'd get the benefit of the ALH oil filter stand setup, which is decidedly easier than AHU/1Z but you'd also get the timing belt driven water pump, which I never thought was a good idea tbh. The cam driven vacuum pump is probably neither here nor there in terms of benefit, the older style was super reliable though.

Give an update when you've made a decision!

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:10   #5
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

due to your location in the peoples republic of cali (assuming that info is up to date), you also need to know if it will pass emissions...

I havent lived there since 2010 so i dunno the current state of affairs at the DMV but they werent exactly helpful for anything except emptying out my wallet when i lived there...

I would think that this is kinda the best of both worlds, especially if the B4s body is in OK shape. I love the B4s, and i like the ALH, but i HATE HATE HATE the fact that there is a motor mount in the way of the timing belt on A4's... not an issue in this case.
ketchupshirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 23:23   #6
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

B4 should be good for KKKalif. Diesel smog starts with 1998s. You know, until some stooge figures out they can add $500 to the overall state budget by rolling the date back to 97.

Quote:
a motor mount in the way of the timing belt on A4's... not an issue in this case.
Interesting. So the extra mount on the ALH goes unused, to no ill effect?

Last edited by turbodieseldyke; January 13th, 2018 at 23:25.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote