How do i depressurize ac system?

treue

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 01M
So my ac compressor is toast and the pulley is locked up, and i have a brand new unit and dryer that needs to be installed. My plan is to depressurize so i can disconnect the hoses at the compressor, remove the old compressor, and install the new one. I will then go to a shop for a system flush and charge, and have them do whatever they do. How to i go about safely depressurizing? My aim is to avoid a shop charging me to physically install my new compressor.

Last edited:

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
You need to have an A/C shop do this. The charge can be quite small if you find a reasonable shop. I had my mechanic do this last year and very roughly speaking it is around $30 to remove the charge and $50 to recharge when you are done....

however, I see you are in Chicago so maybe it will cost you $200:rolleyes:

gkm24

I have the exact same dilemma. My compressor is seized too. I am going to try to clamp the hoses to the compressor but am not sure if this willl work. The correct procedure is to get the refrigerant removed from the system, remove and refit the new compressor with new seals(lubricated) and then get the system regassed and oiled.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
1) Most shops will do a freon recovery. i.e. pump your old freon into a tank for recovery/recycle/disposal.
2) Backyard wrenches will generally vent to atmosphere. I don't recommend this. Bad for the environment and all.
3) Flushing is usually done with a liquid followed up with water, then a high aromatic solvent to clear the water and any flush residue.

ackits.com is a good reference for DIY.

Tony

treue

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 01M
mk3 said:
You need to have an A/C shop do this. The charge can be quite small if you find a reasonable shop. I had my mechanic do this last year and very roughly speaking it is around $30 to remove the charge and $50 to recharge when you are done....

however, I see you are in Chicago so maybe it will cost you $200:rolleyes:
Right, but what i'm trying to avoid is a shop charging me to remove the old compressor and install the new one. I can do that myself. Anyone who knows how to simultaneously lay on their back while holding a wrench can do it in 15 minutes.

treue

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 01M
gkm24 said:
I have the exact same dilemma. My compressor is seized too. I am going to try to clamp the hoses to the compressor but am not sure if this willl work. The correct procedure is to get the refrigerant removed from the system, remove and refit the new compressor with new seals(lubricated) and then get the system regassed and oiled.
I just went ahead and bought a new unit from here:

http://techchoiceparts.com/

I found them while searching for a used compressor on ebay. Feedback from buyers all point to these being good units, and they come with 1 year warranty.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
treue said:
Right, but what i'm trying to avoid is a shop charging me to remove the old compressor and install the new one. I can do that myself. Anyone who knows how to simultaneously lay on their back while holding a wrench can do it in 15 minutes.
of course, I understand that.. it's exactly what I would do. I replaced my condenser last year but I spent the $70 with my local mechanic to remove the charge and then to recharge it. I did everything else including adding the oil.... just had to make two trips to the shop.

There is no reason the mechanic should complain to you or make you feel bad for doing your own work... mine didn't - he's totally cool.

oh.. forgot to mention one more reason I did it this way is that I didn't think it would be fair to my mechanic to show up with a system that had been vented illegally and ask him to complete the job for me. He's supposed to follow the law...so.. well I don't know what he would have done in that case..

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
According to the EPA you should recover the R134a in your car's AC system, but it's just fine to spray it in the air if it's coming out of an air duster can.

-Jason

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
gkm24 said:
Follow the manual on this. I am not sure Bentley covers this, but you need to put the proper amount of refrigerant oil in the compressor before you install it, I believe. Or at least make uop for it when recharging the system.

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
compu_85 said:
According to the EPA you should recover the R134a in your car's AC system, but it's just fine to spray it in the air if it's coming out of an air duster can.

-Jason
:confused: I agree. That is quite odd. You can slowly discharge the system by depressing the low side and then high side schrader (tire valve stem like) valves on the hoses. I am not offering any comments on whether or not this is appropriate, but that it can be done to remove the referigerant. Just wear goggles and gloves, possibly.

--Nate

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
And 2x on venting slowly, that way you loose as little oil as possible. Though if you are replacing the compressor and dryer you'll need to replenish most of the oil anyway.

-J

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
mk3 said:
+1

Or buy the tools to DIY... A gauge set, vacuum pump & recovery tank are available from a number of sources and fully manual, small-shop set-ups aren't horribly expensive compared to the multi-$K automatic machines you usually see at a pro garage. However, this is still only worthwhile if you plan to do it more than a couple of times.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I bought my AC tools from ackits.com. Good prices and good quality.

Tony

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
If your a/c hose bursts, the freon ends up blending in the air. So when you loose the a/c hose, you will hear freon leak just like air coming out of tire when you depress the valve stem needle. EPA is not there to monitor what you are doing. Moreover, the effect on environment may not be material because this event is not happen to all cars at same time.

treue

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 01M
Someone suggested that since my compressor was locked up, clutch was missing, and pulley was falling off, that it may already be depressurized. I got my 6mm hex on one of those hose bolts on the compressor and gave it a few quarter-turns and out came some green goodness. Good thing i wore gloves. I swapped in the new compressor. I take it to Car-X in the morning for the flush and charge. I only hope they don't try to screw me by claiming this and that part also need replacing. I bought a new dryer to be installed, but nothing else. I mean, it's entirely possible that other stuff needs replacing. The problem is that i don't have a relationship with any of the shops in my area, so i'm at their mercy. I usually do most of my own work. Most things can be tackled with research beforehand, proper tools, and a good shop manual.

I didn't have to give up my old compressor for a core return, so does anyone know of a place that buys compressor cores? I don't know what else to do with this thing.

Last edited:

treue

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 01M
Got the system evac'd and charged and now it blows ice cold. The company who sells these things also offers a lifetime warranty for an extra $25, so i guess i'll go for that. All told, i'm into them for $225 with the extended warranty. Not a bad deal.